The Student Room Group

LGBT+ Sex and Relationship Education

I'm not sure if there is more in school now, but when I was at school there was next to no sex/relationship education regarding LGBT+.

Should there be more, and what should be taught? I think more education would be helpful for those who are LGBT+ to help accept themselves. Also to reduce discrimination, keep LGBT+ people practise safe sex, and not have to resort to other sources, such as the internet, to gain information.

What would you like to see from more LGBT+ education?

Scroll to see replies

It's been a good 15 years since my last sex ed class at secondary school, but the one thing that I clearly remember all these years later was the teacher (female, incidentally) telling us that lesbians couldn't have orgasms. :erm: I'm 99% certain that transgender issues weren't even touched upon though, hopefully that's changed in the decade and a half since!
Tbh pretty much all of sex ed could do with an overhaul considering I learned most of it from this website which is rather scary if you think about it...

In terms of LGBT we got told the following:
Straight = likes boys (girls school)
Gay = Likes Girls
Bi = Likes both
Asexual = Likes no-one (at which point someone screeched 'omg i thought you (meaning me) were asexual because you like animals :ahee:'

So yeh tbh sex ed is pretty useless anyway if they teach crap like that lol
Original post by BurstingBubbles
I'm not sure if there is more in school now, but when I was at school there was next to no sex/relationship education regarding LGBT+.

Should there be more, and what should be taught? I think more education would be helpful for those who are LGBT+ to help accept themselves. Also to reduce discrimination, keep LGBT+ people practise safe sex, and not have to resort to other sources, such as the internet, to gain information.

I'd argue that the internet is a better source of information than a tired teacher in a classroom full of teenage peers. People who are LGBT, whether they are out or not, may not feel comfortable asking their own questions in a class, whereas on the internet you can ask any question, take your time to read through as many answers as you want to. There are so many excellently made LGBT information pages which pop-up on a google search which are made by people with far more actual experience and thoughtful input than a worn-out secondary school history (or whatever) teacher.

I'd still like to push for more inclusion of LGBT into the existing sex ed curriculum as an acceptance/awareness thing, but (just like heterosexual sex ed) I think that more learning can and will be done online. When I was in school, the total LGBT education we had was basically "Don't discriminate against gay people, that's illegal".
It's pointless. Sex ed is pointless in school kids these days found everything out on the Internet with their friends and have a laugh about it before they're 10 probably. The straight kids can look at straight stuff and the LGBT kids can look at LGBT stuff.
No problem.
OMG :shock: thank you, i really needed this :emo:
Got a U grade in this subject in primary school :cry2:
Original post by fatima1998
OMG :shock: thank you, i really needed this :emo:
Got a U grade in this subject in primary school :cry2:

They gave you grades in sex ed?
Original post by Anonymous
It's pointless. Sex ed is pointless in school kids these days found everything out on the Internet with their friends and have a laugh about it before they're 10 probably. The straight kids can look at straight stuff and the LGBT kids can look at LGBT stuff.
No problem.

That wouldn't help to address prejudice or stereotyping against LGBT+ individuals, however. I feel there's value in learning about others (including things that people might not think to look up online) as well as what's relevant to yourself.
Original post by Star Light
I'd argue that the internet is a better source of information than a tired teacher in a classroom full of teenage peers. People who are LGBT, whether they are out or not, may not feel comfortable asking their own questions in a class, whereas on the internet you can ask any question, take your time to read through as many answers as you want to. There are so many excellently made LGBT information pages which pop-up on a google search which are made by people with far more actual experience and thoughtful input than a worn-out secondary school history (or whatever) teacher.

I'd still like to push for more inclusion of LGBT into the existing sex ed curriculum as an acceptance/awareness thing, but (just like heterosexual sex ed) I think that more learning can and will be done online. When I was in school, the total LGBT education we had was basically "Don't discriminate against gay people, that's illegal".

Agreed there is a lot of good information out there, but a lot of harmful and inappropriate information. Even if it's just that the teacher can direct students to the good sources of information, I think it would really help.

Original post by Antediluvian
We shouldn't foster degeneracy.

Whether you like it or not, just like sex before marriage, it's going to happen anyway - we may as well promote safe and healthy relationships.
Reply 9
I really do think that kids do need to be taught the truth about this stuff from an early age. People are going to be much more accepting of different sexualities if they know that it's normal from an early age...

Personally, we never had a single session focusing on LGBT.
Sex education is incredibly poor generally speaking too. The whole thing needs to be done better, and to have focus on non-hetero relationships too, or it's just putting people at risk.

Original post by Antediluvian
We shouldn't foster degeneracy.

We also shouldn't foster ignorance, yet there seems a shocking amount of it directed towards LGBT+ individuals.
I'm at uni now, but when I was at school sex ed was pretty much based on heterosexual sex/relationships. Personally it would be a good idea to incorporate LGBT relationships into sex ed as I think it would help promote acceptance for all sexualities and gives school students a better idea of non-heterosexual relationships, etc :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Teach Heterosexual stuff better and earlier. and make people aware of lgb
The last time I had a sex education lesson, I was 10 and in primary school. It was so spotty and… crap. We were told about the existence of lesbian and gay people, but given nothing more than that. We were never told about those that might be transgender. It was very heteronormative and just not really good enough. It didn't feel right. I went to a catholic school for my secondary education and sex education was never taught this, in my opinion, is disgraceful and it should have been taught anyway.
We had a LGBT+ talk at our school this year. (And another one quite a few years ago)
It didn't go into too much detail, but it discussed what LGBT was. I think it was more anti-discrimination than anything.
Original post by BurstingBubbles

I was 10 when puberty was mentioned at Primary School by a teacher. Then at 15 was taught it in detail.

Should teach it at 12/13 explaining heterosexual and homosexual & bisexuality. Also transgender. All explaining how to do it, orientation how it's normal and so on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
We weren't taught anything about LGBT+ :no:
Original post by angryjellyfish
it's been a good 15 years since my last sex ed class at secondary school, but the one thing that i clearly remember all these years later was the teacher (female, incidentally) telling us that lesbians couldn't have orgasms. :erm: I'm 99% certain that transgender issues weren't even touched upon though, hopefully that's changed in the decade and a half since!

i am howling omfg
Anyways, sex ed in school in this day and age is pointless, it was already pointless when we had it in school about 10 years ago because they didnt say anything we didnt already know from magazines / the internet and so on, but these days with the Internet and everything being a google click away there is really no point having middle aged teacher give sex ed, and people dont ask questions in public settings like this, ESPECIALLY GAY KIDS are not going to enquire about sex in a room full of straight people, people just go online and ask people or whatever. its an outdated idea, but if you really need sex ed, gay sex isnt different from straight sex. what do gays do? oral, anal, fingers, vaginal sex can be done by anyone of any sexual orientation, you can talk about how to protect yourself from diseases without being sexual-orientation specific so i dont see the big deal.
Y'all be glad you actually got sex ed - never got those classes at my old school. They just pulled the girls out to talk about periods and that's it. Sh*tty school. *sigh*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending