The Student Room Group

Could I still get offers with AAA for medicine

I am really worried that I will only be predicted AAA for my A levels which would just meet the minimum requirements for medicine and I so my application wouldn't stand out as I lot of the people I have seen on student room who are applying to medicine have like A*AA at least with a lot of people with A*A*A*. My GCSEs aren't amazing either(8A*) and I haven't done UKCAT. I just want to know whether people with academics like mine still get into medciine.
(edited 7 years ago)
how are your gcse not amazing? wtf attention seeker
Original post by scarlett3
I am really worried that I will only be predicted AAA for my A levels which would just meet the minimum requirements for medicine and I so my application wouldn't stand out as I lot of the people I have seen on student room who are applying to medicine have like A*AA at least with a lot of people with A*A*A*. My GCSEs aren't amazing either(8A*) and I haven't done UKCAT. I just want to know whether people with academics like mine still get into medciine.

Of course you can. Nothing is guaranteed in medicine, but if they ask for AAA, all they want is AAA. Some places give your more points pre-interview if you have or are predicted higher than AAA but otherwise it won't really matter.

Kick ass on the UKCAT and you'll stand as good a chance as anyone.
Reply 3
Original post by theBranicAc

Yeah they aren't in comparison to other people's who are applying to medicine in my opinion. And I did not start this post to seek attention I am genuinely worried, I go to a school with high achieving students so it is hard to tell where I stand in comparison to other people. At my school that GCSE score is quite common.
Reply 4

AAA predicted is absolutely fine. The medical schools requiring A*AA minimum are out the question. 8 A*'s is great. Medicine applications are not all about the academics, the UKCAT/BMAT and personal statement are both vitally important. From an academic perspective your stats are strong so don't worry.*

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask.

Good luck!*
Reply 5
Original post by 06shawm
AAA predicted is absolutely fine. The medical schools requiring A*AA minimum are out the question. 8 A*'s is great. Medicine applications are not all about the academics, the UKCAT/BMAT and personal statement are both vitally important. From an academic perspective your stats are strong so don't worry.*

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask.

Good luck!*

Thanks I just needed to make sure because everyone I was seeing seemed to have loads of A*s at A level.
Reply 6
Original post by theBranicAc

(8A*) ... clearly not amazing.
Reply 7
Thanks I just needed to make sure because everyone I was seeing seemed to have loads of A*s at A level.

No worries. Good luck with the application!
Your GCSE's are dreadful! You need a minimum of 14A*'s to even be on TSR... Who even are you?! How did you get past the registration page?!

Spoiler

I can't help much here but I do know that your GCSEs are perfectly fine. My friend received an offer to study medicine at St Andrews and she has 5A*s at GCSE. Not sure exactly what her predicted grades for A-level were, but they weren't more than A*AA and she did not achieve straight A grades at AS.
Reply 10

Honestly it sounds like you need to do a bit more research. Many universities don't mind if you 'only' have AAA. Places such as Manchester don't treat and application predicted AAA differently to someone predicted A*A*A.
Your GCSEs are amazing. They're higher than the usual cutoff for even GCSE heavy universities like Cardiff. Just avoid Oxford.
Yes there are plenty people on the student room, a lot of whom are braggers with top grades. At the same time there are plenty with much lower grades than you. Always take everything you see on places like this with a pinch of salt, plenty of people lie.
People with my worse grades than you get in. And some with much better don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sadixx
(8A*) ... clearly not amazing.

8A* 3Us (in maths english lang and biology)

Yeah hes deffo not getting into med.
There are plenty of geniuses out there with like 5A*s at A Level and still don't get into medical school. At the end of the day, academics is just part of your application. Your personal statement and interview are also incredibly important if you want to get in so I would say AAA is completely fine. You may want to avoid Oxford, Cambridge, Edinburgh and possibly Imperial however but with a strong UKCAT score you stand just as good a chance as anyone else. Have a look at the applicant profile pinned to the top of the forum and you can see people with your predicted grades getting into medical schools.
Reply 13
From my experience, please do not worry a single bit about your A-level grades. As far as admissions are concerned you have met the entry criteria and you are a viable candidate for an interview. Medical schools like Barts and the London, SGUL, Newcastle and Southampton and many other's will definitely consider your application 100%. There are other elements that Universities will also look into such as your personal statement and your UKCAT which you need to do well in.PLS PLS PLS don't worry about your grades they are deemed enough. I have spent many hours looking at university websites looking at each universities entry criteria and it was really a waste of time. Spend more time studying for your A-levels and develop your personal statement to the highest quality and remember to prepare well for your UKCAT.I was once in a similar position to you and if I was you I would not be concerned about the grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending