The Student Room Group

Help with A-Level choices

I want some advice on what to pick for A-levels. I'm really struggling to decide, and would like some help.

Currently, I am doing Maths, English Lit + Lang, Triple Science, Citizenship, German, French, Latin and History. I'm hitting A* in all of them, and wouldn't say I'm specifically bad at any. I also like the majority: I'm not enjoying German at the moment because of my teacher, not the actual subject, and also don't really like English. Other than that, I'm interested in the rest. I think the only subject I have decided on taking is maths. I have no clue on the rest.

Help anyone? Thanks!
Reply 1
Hi.
First, if you haven't already, decide what career you would like to do. Then after that you can see what A-levels are needed to get onto that course in Uni
I honestly have no clue :frown:
Original post by AcornFalls
I honestly have no clue :frown:

If you still don't know what you want to do just do what you enjoy. From there you can choose within the two years of a levels. Also if you choose something you enjoy you are more likely to do better at it

Posted from TSR Mobile
The trouble is, I enjoy basically everything
If you aren't sure what degree or career you'd like to do, then taking a couple of 'facilitating' subjects for A Level, i.e. Maths, English Literature, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, History, Geography and Languages is a good idea, because these subjects are useful for lots of degrees. Make sure you will enjoy the subjects you choose though, because you're more likely to do well in them if you do :smile:
Original post by AcornFalls
The trouble is, I enjoy basically everything

Oh right well just do what got best at. If everything is equal try talking to your parents or the school to see what they recommend :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you know what you want to become when older? Maybe that could help you somehow choose your subjects. You could also try choosing a science, maths and maybe politics or history- to keep your options open for university 😊
Hi AcornFalls. I'm a mature student who is re-entering University at age 27 having made a wrong turn the first time around. I hope I can help in some way, even if it's only to give you food for thought.

I would say that what you should pick entirely depends on what you intended to do at university, and in turn what you intend to do post-university. If you don't have an idea of this, it's a good time to start thinking seriously about at least a few potential careers. Trust me, it's a bad idea to put off thinking about this until after your A-Levels. I know it sounds simple, but a good tip for life in general is to plan several years ahead. You can always change plans you make, but you can't take back wasted time.

If you do already have an approximate idea of which University courses you might be interested in, then it's very easy to find what they require in terms of grades (I can help you out on that front if you want a hand). Putting the effort in now, and going the extra step and planning your future will save you much doubting and heartache, and will put your mind at ease in the present, and allow you to feel more motivated and thus get better grades.

A few pieces of advice regarding subject choices:

1) PICK MATHS. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PICK MATHS. Maths is the darling of universities and employees. No A-Level is treasured anywhere near as highly as Maths. I personally have come to seriously regret not taking it. It opens the door to every science and engineering subject out there at University level and beyond.

2) I personally would advise against studying English Lit/Language unless you are planning to go on become an academic or similar. Having been through the process, I'd recommend that the subjects you take now are ones that give you recognisable and transferable skills. This is coming from someone who got 92% in their A-Levels in English, and then went on to study American Literature at University. So it's not like I don't like the subject; I just that I don't think it's all that useful in the long-term.

3) Learning any language is a good idea. All languages are highly regarded and will be good for University applications and for your career - so long as you persist with learning them to fluency.

4) I also did History, and I would say it was highly fun and gave me some transferable skills. If I had another go, however, I would have gone for Sciences instead. In general, I think Sciences are more valuable with regards to teaching you things that you can go on and immediately use.

5) Finally, I would like to point you towards Philosophy and Psychology, which are both superb subjects for self-improvement, and for expanding your mind and intellectual capacity. I would personally recommend you take either or both of them. They can also be an absolute blast to learn.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Maths and Sciences. I regret taking humanities, just awful.
Definitely take Maths, I'd also recommend Chemistry, I've just completed Year 1 of the course and I absolutely love it! Its seen as a very good A Level in the eyes of Universities and Employers as its so versatile. Then maybe take a language, as it also looks good to employers and universities. You said you're not enjoying German so maybe French? Then as a fourth, maybe take a second science, Biology and Physics both compliment the other subjects, (although I must say Physics A Level is insanely hard) or perhaps History as that's different and can help you develop essay skills or even another language if you wanted. Ultimately its up to you of course, good luck whatever you decide!

Quick Reply

Latest