The Student Room Group

Scared of terrorist attack on London, when will terrorism stop?

My friend and I are going to Central London on Thursday for a day out and I'm feeling quite anxious after Nice. Nobody anticipates these attacks and I'm especially worried going on the underground. Does anyone have any advice on how to stay safe (and whether we should even go) and what the odds are of an attack?

As a Muslim myself, I'm really heartbroken that other 'Muslims' are doing this and I'm so sorry to everyone. Please know that most Muslims are just as upset as you are about all these inoccent lives being taken and I hope that this world can stay united to resolve this massive issue somehow

Scroll to see replies

Odds of an attack? Unknown
Reply 2
Don't be scared. Live your life as usual. After all, the 8 million Londoners aren't going to stop going to work, stop going to school, stop attending concerts, stop eating at restaurants, stop drinking at bars, stop volunteering at charities, stop being themselves just because a guy in Nice decided to kill people.
Reply 3
The statistical probability of being involved in an attack of this nature is very low. You are much more likely to die in far more trivial ways. Better not to live your life in fear.
Reply 4
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
The statistical probability of being involved in an attack of this nature is very low. You are much more likely to die in far more trivial ways. Better not to live your life in fear.

Or more amusingly, better to live your life in fear of trivial things :wink:
keep away from places where children congregate. these are where the sick perverts of Daesh like to hang out.
Original post by Anonymous
My friend and I are going to Central London on Thursday for a day out and I'm feeling quite anxious after Nice. Nobody anticipates these attacks and I'm especially worried going on the underground. Does anyone have any advice on how to stay safe (and whether we should even go) and what the odds are of an attack?

As a Muslim myself, I'm really heartbroken that other 'Muslims' are doing this and I'm so sorry to everyone. Please know that most Muslims are just as upset as you are about all these inoccent lives being taken and I hope that this world can stay united to resolve this massive issue somehow

I realise it must be anxiety-provoking for Muslims in London and for people visiting London just now.

I live and work in a Muslim area in E. London and there is no sense of threat on the streets and the great majority of Muslims and non-Muslims are nice to each other here. What I do always notice though is that Muslims here look very tense sometimes when looking at us white English on the streets or in the office - there is a "please don't blame us" look in their eyes.

We don't blame you. We blame extremists.
Reply 7
When will it stop? Never
How can you stay safe? You can't
Tbh the odds are always low of something like that happening in London. Just carry on like normal, the terrorists want us to live in fear, don't let them do that to us.

Perhaps just be a little wary of any xenophobes though.
I live in London and I think people shouldn't go to really crowded areas like Westfield or Oxford Street.
Reply 10
iirc you're more likely to be eaten by a shark than to be killed by a terrorist attack. Not in london obviously, but yanoe.
Original post by saraxh
I live in London and I think people shouldn't go to really crowded areas like Westfield or Oxford Street.

I'm not going to stop living my life because of this. We can run scared, or we can demonstrate that this insanity has no effect on us normal people.

Don't be scared. If you are scared, the terrorists have won. However, you can take comfort that since 2010, only three people have been killed in terror related incidents in the UK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_in_Great_Britain#2010.E2.80.93present

When you compare that to 574 murders or killings in 2015 or 1713 road related deaths in 2013, the chance of a terrorist related incident really is pretty tiny. Just keep your eyes and ears open and be ready to move quickly.

I too am off to the big smoke but on Wednesday. I am positively looking forward to it. I like visiting London. I particularly like leaving it again afterwards.
A terrorist attack in London is pretty much inevitable in my opinion.
If there is an attack, how can I protect myself and my friend? Play dead? Run?
More people are killed by car crashes per year than terrorism yet barely any people make threads 'I have to drive somewhere and I might die'. You can get killed a bunch of different ways in modern society. Worrying is pointless, the statistical chance is minuscule. This is what terrorists intend, dont let them get to you =)
If there is an attack, how can I protect myself and my friend? Play dead? Run?

I think it's best to play dead and probably pull a dead person on yourself. I know it may sound disgusting and disgraceful but I think it's the best way to survive if someone's shooting in the vicinity with a gun. If there's a huge truck going in zigzag it's best to run though as fast as you can...
I know how you feel and making ourselves calm by saying "there's a low chance" blabla, but WHAT IF? None of us wants to live our lives in fear, but let's be honest, we won't be protected from everything in the long run and there's a high risk of terrorism.
It's really not something you even need to think about. It might look like terrorism is a huge thing now but how many attacks have there been in the UK in the last 10-20 years? How many people have died out of the millions that live in the UK? Terrorism makes the news because it's more exciting and interesting than car crashes/heart attacks etc but you're still far more likely to be hit by a car crossing the street to get to the tube than to be involved in a terrorist attack on the tube.

Also, don't apologise to people because you're a Muslim. No one who actually understands what Islam is blames the religion for terrorism, you've done nothing to feel guilty for.
Original post by NickLCFC

I think you underestimate how good our secret service is compared to the rest of Europe's. Very unlikely an attack on London, just due to the length of getting to London and getting equipment and such
Original post by NickLCFC

Agreed :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest