The Student Room Group

Late for an A level exam?

Hey everyone so my A2 exams went pretty well except that I was quite late for one of my physics exams (I absolutely love physics so I think I did well despite the pressure). I wrote down my own timetable and somehow mixed up the dates for the physics Unit 4 exam. My offer needs an A overall but I'm not sure if Edexcel will mark my paper properly, what do you think is there a penalty? I arrived about 40 minutes late to the exam and was given almost 30 minutes extra at the end by my school.
Beyond the 10 minutes reduction in exam time which you had, I don't think that they will impose any extra penalty upon you; the examiner will most likely not even know that you were late for the exam.

Official information is on page 34 (section 14) of the JCQ Instructions for Conducting Examinations.
Reply 2
You don't get any penalty for turning up late at all.
Reply 3
Yeah that's what I thought and what my teacher told me but he did write a note on the question I reached at the normal end time (30 minutes before I finished my exam). He signed next to the question and wrote the official end time "11:30". I had two more questions left which I answered in the next 30 minutes. My only worry is would they only mark up to the question that my teacher noted? The examiner would know I was late...
Reply 4
that's what I thought and what my teacher told me but he did write a note on the question I reached at the normal end time (30 minutes before I finished my exam). He signed next to the question and wrote the official end time "11:30". I had two more questions left which I answered in the next 30 minutes. My only worry is would they only mark up to the question that my teacher noted? The examiner would know I was late...
Reply 5
Original post by SummerStrawberry
Beyond the 10 minutes reduction in exam time which you had, I don't think that they will impose any extra penalty upon you; the examiner will most likely not even know that you were late for the exam.

Official information is on page 34 (section 14) of the JCQ Instructions for Conducting Examinations.

that's what I thought and what my teacher told me but he did write a note on the question I reached at the normal end time (30 minutes before I finished my exam). He signed next to the question and wrote the official end time "11:30". I had two more questions left which I answered in the next 30 minutes. My only worry is would they only mark up to the question that my teacher noted? The examiner would know I was late...
What you get the full amount of time if you're late?! A boy in one of my exams came in half a hour late in a morning exam and he wasn't given any extra time he had to finish at the same time as everyone else :0
Reply 7
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
What you get the full amount of time if you're late?! A boy in one of my exams came in half a hour late in a morning exam and he wasn't given any extra time he had to finish at the same time as everyone else :0

He should've complained to the head of sixth form (and can probably still do as well as contact the exam board), as you are allowed extra time if you are late.
Reply 8
some guy in my year turned up to every single A-level exam he had like 5 mins late but I think he still got to finish it in the standard time cause everyone probably just felt sorry for him lol
Original post by highschool

I can't see them doing that, BUT if you're worried it's best to speak to your school/college's examinations officer. They will be able to tell you exactly what will happen, and can also speak to the exam board to make sure that your paper is fairly marked. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest