The Student Room Group

Choosing med schools

Hey guys,
So I'm applying for med to the UK (I'm an intl student) and I was hoping for some advice.
I got 8 A*s at GCSE level and predicted A*s in bio and chem and either an A or an A* for pure math at A level.
I didnt do great in my UKCAT with a meagre avg of 673 (and I dont plan on giving the BMAT since the international fees for the unis that require it is outrageous).
I have no idea where to apply except perhaps cardiff since they dont really rely on the UKCAT score
Any advice would be much appreciated!
Check the entry requirements and think about what you'll get exposure to and experience with and teaching styles.
Reply 2
Well first im trying to find unis that dont depend much on the UKCAT but most of the unis (UEA, Notthingham, plymouth, Bristol, Dundee, Aberdeen, etc.) dont even specify their UKCAT weighting for the selection process :/
Original post by SCee
Hey guys,
So I'm applying for med to the UK (I'm an intl student) and I was hoping for some advice.
I got 8 A*s at GCSE level and predicted A*s in bio and chem and either an A or an A* for pure math at A level.
I didnt do great in my UKCAT with a meagre avg of 673 (and I dont plan on giving the BMAT since the international fees for the unis that require it is outrageous).
I have no idea where to apply except perhaps cardiff since they dont really rely on the UKCAT score
Any advice would be much appreciated!

Firstly your UKCAT is not bad, its just not in the 700s so is unlikely to get you an interview at UKCAT heavy universities. Your academics are very strong though and so use this to your advantage and look at GCSE heavy medical schools which use the UKCAT a little less.

Cardiff is a very good idea, you are likely to get an interview with those grades, what about Birmingham, QUB, Nottingham, HYMS? Have a good look online at different courses and what they require, providing they place a good amount of weighting on your GCSE grades you will have a good shot.
Reply 4
QUB seems to select students by allocating points and unfortunately they give points for upto 9 gcses of which i have only 8 so id be lacking in both, ukcat and academics for them
Birmingham has different selection processes for intl and home students
For home, its 70% gcses and 30% ukcat but for intl only the ukcat is used to rank them.. :frown:
But thank you soo much, I will look into the others! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending