The Student Room Group

Could this be a way of getting into med school

Studying an access to science course, getting distinctions in all modules, then applying to med school?
I guess if you don't have good A Levels/Science A Levels then maybe. Easier to just do the right A Levels though! I think Sheffield run a course for Medicine that is a bit like this.
Original post by 1lastchance
Studying an access to science course, getting distinctions in all modules, then applying to med school?

No, you'd need to do an Access to Medicine course. There's an outdated but somewhat informative wiki you can read here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Access_to_Medicine.

Out of the ones listed, I'd recommend the course run by the College of West Anglia, since that's recognised by many/most medical schools (though you should check with the admissions department of individual schools beforehand) and is also suitable for entry to dental school, should you want to pursue that.
(edited 7 years ago)
I did that and it worked out. So thankful for it.
Reply 4
Original post by Hydeman
No, you'd need to do an Access to Medicine course. There's an outdated but somewhat informative wiki you can read here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Access_to_Medicine.

Out of the ones listed, I'd recommend the course run by the College of West Anglia, since that's recognised by many/most medical schools (though you should check with the admissions department of individual schools beforehand) and is also suitable for entry to dental school, should you want to pursue that.

Can't it be used as an alternative to A levels?
You have to be really really careful with alternatives to A Levels. Check with any unis you want to apply to about the specific course at a specific college being sufficient for entry before you embark upon it.
I've heard too many stories about students completing qualifications and only then finding out they can't get them onto the course they want.

That being said, I did an access course and can't recommend them enough!
Original post by 1lastchance
Can't it be used as an alternative to A levels?

Well, yes, it can, but Access to Science is usually for pure science subjects, and an Access to Medicine course is more widely accepted by medical schools though, as before, you should always confirm this with individual schools before committing to any qualification.

If you want to get an authoritative answer on this, you should drop an email/call to a couple of medical schools and ask them if they accept Access to Science diplomas from the particular college or institution you intend to do yours with.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending