The Student Room Group

Just downloaded a virus....

Just downloaded a virus by accident but I did a system restore to yesterday and it seems to have gone now.

How can I make sure though and check that it isn't lurking somewhere?
Original post by similarBlank
Just downloaded a virus by accident but I did a system restore to yesterday and it seems to have gone now.

Run a decent free anti virus software and check your hard drive for anything dodgy.

You can't. You lack the knowledge to assess and diagnose computer problems. This is also the wrong forum to ask for help on computers, a bit like going to a cycling forum to ask about fuel injection problems. Try these:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/
download malwarebytes
Original post by Atlas Thugged
download malwarebytes

Literally just used it. 68 items detected and removed.
Boot into safe mode and scan again

Is it windows?
(edited 7 years ago)
If you got 68 positives then those infections came back from a lot longer than just today.
I just realised something:

When I downloaded the virus it changed my homepage. My homepage reverted back to Google when I restored to an earlier date but now when I search for something here

It's not searching in Google it's searching in the browser the virus put on there.
I just realised something:

When I downloaded the virus it changed my homepage. My homepage reverted back to Google when I restored to an earlier date but now when I search for something here

It's not searching in Google it's searching in the browser the virus put on there.

eFast. You could either send your computer into your provider as part of a plan to get a checkup (e.g. PC World) or try more online antivirus solutions.

For the latter I would recommend Avast first which you can access for free. If that fails there is paid software like Norton/McAfee but keep in mind the paid software is not necessarily better.

Also, quick reminder as you probably know: don't run multiple anti virus at the same time otherwise they will conflict with each other.

This is all you can do without a cybersecurity background.
(edited 7 years ago)
Fair enough, just my opinion though which i'm happy to stick with.
ofc if he wants to provide the report, then it would show up what and when.

My real point was its likely his security and anti virus regime is poor.
Honestly at this point I'd just do a system wipe and reinstall the OS. That's the only easy, sure-fire way that you can be certain that it's all gone without getting an expert. You can invest in a paid antivirus like Kaspersky although this generally isn't necessary assuming you're careful on the internet.
Reply 11
The honest only way you can be absolutely sure you've got no viruses on your system is to back up important files, reformat the drive and reinstall windows, then install an antivirus and antimalware program and scan the backup you made, even then some can still remain in the boot sector,
I often find myself doing low level wipes on some drives of the computers that I get from people, just to make sure. These days formatting and reinstalling is a last resort, but if you've scanned and removed to high hell and you're still getting positives, then you need to really look into reinstalling, multiple viruses (More than 20 i'd say) is just too many for me to viably think a removal will completely clear it. one or two is fine, but when it gets into double digits, there's a major problem somewhere.

If you decide to go with reinstalling, you can get copies of windows cheap online, they're normally about £25 and you get an installer and a genuine activation code, they normally come from broken and unused computers, that have had windows de-activated.

I would also advise you to take a SERIOUS look at what sites you're going on in the future, it's not impossible to get a virus when you're only using trusted sites but lets put it this way, I've not had a single known virus on my own PC in about 5 years, just false positives.

NEVER agree to install junkware like toolbars and searches, apart from anything they're annoying. I'm not gonna school you on what to look out for at risk of sounding patronizing, but just try to be vigilant, if you're not sure, don't. Viruses can do more than make your computer run a bit dicky.

@Moon_Lander more often than not software developers have found ways of multiple antiviruses not conflicting with eachother, even though it's still not advisable.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending