The Student Room Group

Is it weird to aspire to work in middle/back-office banking?

So I go to a good uni but I'm not really interested in working in a front-office role like IBD, unlike all my friends who do. I'm more interested in market risk.

Is it weird/unusual/stupid to want to work in middle office? Am i being not aspirational enough?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by serions871
So I go to a good uni but I'm not really interested in working in a front-office role like IBD, unlike all my friends who do. I'm more interested in market risk.

Is it weird/unusual/stupid to want to work in middle office? Am i being not aspirational enough?

No, it's not. In fact more people should because I'm certain those gunning for FO just for the sake of it being FO, are the ones that will probably not have much success in the recruitment process.

Do what you enjoy mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by serions871

Risk is also a massively growing part of banking with a lot of new jobs being created. You like what you like, don't worry about what others want to do.
Not really no. There is loads of legal and compliance/regulatory type work which has seen an increase in hiring and the salaries are decent
No it's fine, OP. Lots of people apply for middle office roles and not all of them are front office rejects.

Anyone know what comp is like for analysts in market risk or middle office in general?
Reply 5
Original post by faston2k16
No it's fine, OP. Lots of people apply for middle office roles and not all of them are front office rejects.

Anyone know what comp is like for analysts in market risk or middle office in general?

It's around £42000 for an analyst (not sure whether that's for analyst 1,2 or 3) and £64000 for an associate and £100000 for a VP
Original post by Trapz99
It's around £42000 for an analyst (not sure whether that's for analyst 1,2 or 3) and £64000 for an associate and £100000 for a VP

Deffo An 1

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by faston2k16

Middle office should be a noticeable discount from FO in terms of bonuses, back office even more of a discount.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I'm with you OP, I have no interest in FO, I'd prefer a slightly higher level of job security, and the roles that really stimulate me lie in compliance and risk.
Reply 9
Original post by jxh499
I'm with you OP, I have no interest in FO, I'd prefer a slightly higher level of job security, and the roles that really stimulate me lie in compliance and risk.

Risk/compliance isn't a secure job either lol
Reply 10
I didn't say it was. But it's certainly more secure than an M&A analyst
good to hace direction, whatever that may be
Original post by jxh499
I didn't say it was. But it's certainly more secure than an M&A analyst

Sorry to bang up an old thread but it's not more secure, risk jobs are some of the first to go
Original post by Trapz99
Sorry to bang up an old thread but it's not more secure, risk jobs are some of the first to go

Since when?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
What does a risk job entail? Ik what FO M&A is about but what about risk? Is that like business performance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Foji
What does a risk job entail? Ik what FO M&A is about but what about risk? Is that like business performance?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on the type of risk: credit, market or operational.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Princepieman
Depends on the type of risk: credit, market or operational.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay market?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They basically make sure the traders aren't exposing the bank to too much risk. All of it is centred around calculating VaR throughout the day for a specific desk using models and then keeping an eye on how the traders are trading with respect to their individual VaR limits.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They calculate the risk taken on by traders on each day. It's pretty repetitive stuff, I still wonder why a computer program can't just do it
Original post by Ladbants
They calculate the risk taken on by traders on each day. It's pretty repetitive stuff, I still wonder why a computer program can't just do it

a computer does do it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending