The Student Room Group

Combined University Courses

Does anyone know if a combined university course is seen as less academic?
E.g. is English and Journalism viewed as less academic than an English course or a Journalism course? The entry requirements for a combined course seem to be lower than single courses so I wondered if they were viewed differently
Original post by rebeccahby
Does anyone know if a combined university course is seen as less academic?
E.g. is English and Journalism viewed as less academic than an English course or a Journalism course? The entry requirements for a combined course seem to be lower than single courses so I wondered if they were viewed differently

There's so specific reason for combined courses to have lower entry requirements. Most common sense would be because you're studying two different subjects simultaneously which is harder to study (in theory) which could be why. But I don't think there's a particular reason as to why they do this.

Usually combined courses are fine. It is said English is a rigorous and traditional subject at uni and therefore, if you pin it against Journalism, the latter will surely e less credited.

I would suggest you just do English as Journalism degree isn't that great in comparison. A lot of journalist jobs prefer people with English degrees.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending