The Student Room Group

Paid my student loan off years ago..... can i reapply for my second degree?

Hey all

I know most literature states that the student loan company only provides tuition fee loans for first degrees BUT i was wondering do they mean if you still owe them money?

I paid my loan back years and years ago - i even paid it off early.... would they consider giving me a tuition fee loan?

Any body else been in this position
Original post by MidLifeNonCrisis
Hey all

I know most literature states that the student loan company only provides tuition fee loans for first degrees BUT i was wondering do they mean if you still owe them money?

I paid my loan back years and years ago - i even paid it off early.... would they consider giving me a tuition fee loan?

I did the first year of a degree years ago (before quitting) then paid the loan back in full. I'm now taking out another loan for a second degree so it may be possible. Only way to find out is give student loans company a ring and ask.
Owing them money or not or whether you took a tuition loan is afaik irrelevant

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies

You’ll usually get student finance only if you’re doing your first higher education qualification - even if your previous course was self-funded.

with a new exception for funding a part time course in certain subject areas...

However, you may still get limited funding if, for example:
:
you hold an Honours degree or higher level of qualification and start a part-time Honours degree in engineering, technology or computer science (or a joint Honours in 2 of these subjects)
Original post by indigofox
I did the first year of a degree years ago (before quitting) then paid the loan back in full. I'm now taking out another loan for a second degree so it may be possible. Only way to find out is give student loans company a ring and ask.

That's different. The OP is talking abiut having a degree (normally 3-4 years) and not a HNC. (which is 1 year)

That would count as your 'gift' year. The formula for loans is length of course + 1 year - number of years taken. In your case, 3 + 1 - 1 = 3. You should be aware that you no longer have any leeway should you drop out of this degree and need to restart again. If you did, you would have to fund the first year of any new degree yourself.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
That would count as your 'gift' year. The formula for loans is length of course + 1 year - number of years taken. In your case, 3 + 1 - 1 = 3. You should be aware that you no longer have any leeway should you drop out of this degree and need to restart again. If you did, you would have to fund the first year of any new degree yourself.

I'm not sure if any of this applies to me though as my degree is now NHS funded, I'm only allowed to take out £1750 maximum anyway. They didn't say any of this to me on the phone.
I'm not sure if any of this applies to me though as my degree is now NHS funded, I'm only allowed to take out £1750 maximum anyway. They didn't say any of this to me on the phone.

NHS funded is the exception, so you will be OK. @Tiger Rag and @Klix88 are more knowledgeable, though.

Yes you re an exception if it's an nhs course.
If you absolutely cannot get funding to do a second undergraduate degree, it is possible to go straight onto the masters degree of some subjects. This is an option that has worked well for me.
Reply 9
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
If you absolutely cannot get funding to do a second undergraduate degree,

As mentioned above, there are some exceptions.
Reply 10
Original post by MidLifeNonCrisis
Hey all

Your repayment isn't relevant. The issue is that everyone gets a limited number of years of Student Finance full funding over their lifetime, also that you cannot generally be funded for more than one undergrad degree, otherwise some if us (*looks in mirror*) would never leave uni at all :smile:

However as previous posters have said, there are some exceptions for which second degree funding is available. Medical/nursing courses which attract NHS funding are exempt from the 'second degree' rule. Recently, more exceptions have been introduced - the ones outlined in Joinedup's post above if taken part-time, might make you eligible for another Tuition Fee Loan.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending