The Student Room Group

I just finished my third year, but have extenuating circumstances to redo year.

I completed some of my final year work which I wont be resubmitting, but I still have some of semester one and all of semester two to complete.

Will I get student finance still? And will I get it in full or will this count as a part time student?

I also haven't lived at home with my parent's for 3 years, the first was in student housing and my partner's mum's house, then from my second year I moved from my partner's mum's house into our own flat that we rent from a private landlord (not a student flat). I read that your household income is based on whoever you've lived with for the past 3 years, my partner is unemployed and his mum didn't work full time and earned minimum wage.

Am I entitled to a loan at all? And if so am I entitled to the loan and grant or does my parent's earnings still matter even though I've not been a member of that household for over 3 years now?
Original post by Aethel
I completed some of my final year work which I wont be resubmitting, but I still have some of semester one and all of semester two to complete.

Will I get student finance still? And will I get it in full or will this count as a part time student?

I also haven't lived at home with my parent's for 3 years, the first was in student housing and my partner's mum's house, then from my second year I moved from my partner's mum's house into our own flat that we rent from a private landlord (not a student flat). I read that your household income is based on whoever you've lived with for the past 3 years, my partner is unemployed and his mum didn't work full time and earned minimum wage.

Am I entitled to a loan at all? And if so am I entitled to the loan and grant or does my parent's earnings still matter even though I've not been a member of that household for over 3 years now?

You need to speak to your university to find out how your repeat year will be classed in the way they return it to SLC - this will determine what you'll get.

If you're repeating the entire year as an attending student then you should be eligible to full support.

Whether you're classed as independent or not depends on your situation when you started your course. The only way you could be classed independent during your course is if you get married, have a child or are officially estranged from your parents.
Reply 2
Thank you for your reply. I'll contact the university and find out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending