The Student Room Group

Changing Uni

So I had a conditional of 2 B's to study history at Strathclyde University in Scotland. I recieved 2 B's in Advanced History and Busiess Management, however i got a C in Geography (Don't really know what went wrong to be honest) and C in Psychology because the course was a mess throughout the year. I was hoping to look into places in Edinburgh and Glasgow through adjustment however I don't think I'm eligible now. Is there any way I can look at other places for history, considering my B in advanced higher history may be worth something. A response would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Okle321
So I had a conditional of 2 B's to study history at Strathclyde University in Scotland. I recieved 2 B's in Advanced History and Busiess Management, however i got a C in Geography (Don't really know what went wrong to be honest) and C in Psychology because the course was a mess throughout the year. I was hoping to look into places in Edinburgh and Glasgow through adjustment however I don't think I'm eligible now. Is there any way I can look at other places for history, considering my B in advanced higher history may be worth something. A response would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Hi, was your offer of 2 B's in specific subjects? Whether it's not or is, I would highly recommend phoning up Strathclyde and asking about whether they would still accept you.
Reply 2
Original post by JP298
Hi, was your offer of 2 B's in specific subjects? Whether it's not or is, I would highly recommend phoning up Strathclyde and asking about whether they would still accept you.

Just to clarify, I met the conditions so I have an unconditional place at Strathclyde for history.
Reply 3
Original post by Okle321
Just to clarify, I met the conditions so I have an unconditional place at Strathclyde for history.

I apologise for the misunderstanding. If Strathclyde was your conditional firm choice then Adjustment is available to you because you've met AND exceeded your original offer. Register for adjustment on your track choices page, this will allow other universities to look at your application. You'll then have 5 days to contact the universities you are interested in and to see if there any vacancies and whether they will consider you for whatever course you hope to get in to.There is no vacancy list, so you will have to contact all Universities manually. I hope this helps, quote us if you need any more assistance.
Reply 4
Original post by JP298
I apologise for the misunderstanding. If Strathclyde was your conditional firm choice then Adjustment is available to you because you've met AND exceeded your original offer. Register for adjustment on your track choices page, this will allow other universities to look at your application. You'll then have 5 days to contact the universities you are interested in and to see if there any vacancies and whether they will consider you for whatever course you hope to get in to.There is no vacancy list, so you will have to contact all Universities manually. I hope this helps, quote us if you need any more assistance.

Thanks for responding. Sorry if I'm coming across as misinformed, but is there any point in applying for adjustment if you have not exceeded your required grades?
Original post by Okle321
Thanks for responding. Sorry if I'm coming across as misinformed, but is there any point in applying for adjustment if you have not exceeded your required grades?

No, you are not eligible for adjustment as you have not exceeded your offer
Reply 6
Original post by Okle321

No, you are not then eligible.
Original post by Okle321

Even if you aren't eligible for adjustment, you can still apply through clearing. Assuming you want to stay in Scotland, at the moment the University of the Highlands and Islands and the University of Stirling are the only two with vacancies, however that could change once English results are out nearer the end of August. Do bare in mind though that you can't be sure universities will lower entry requirements in clearing. Assuming the results you describe are for Highers, Glasgows admissions criteriar as follows:

Standard academic entry requirements: S5 entry requirement = AAAA/AAABB. S6 entry requirement = AAAAAB (S6 entry requirements only apply to applicants who achieved the minimum S5 requirements and have been made a conditional offer).
Minimum academic entry requirements: Applicants who achieve less than AAAA or AAABB in S5 but have achieved at least ABBB MAY receive an offer based on S6 results. A decision will be made in March 2017 once all applications have been reviewed.
Other mandatory requirements: Must include English and a humanities subject or language at Grades A/B or B/A. Applicants wishing to study Mathematics or Computing Science as part of their degree will require Maths at Grades A or B.
Reply 8
Original post by jelly1000
Even if you aren't eligible for adjustment, you can still apply through clearing. Assuming you want to stay in Scotland, at the moment the University of the Highlands and Islands and the University of Stirling are the only two with vacancies, however that could change once English results are out nearer the end of August. Do bare in mind though that you can't be sure universities will lower entry requirements in clearing. Assuming the results you describe are for Highers, Glasgows admissions criteriar as follows:

Standard academic entry requirements: S5 entry requirement = AAAA/AAABB. S6 entry requirement = AAAAAB (S6 entry requirements only apply to applicants who achieved the minimum S5 requirements and have been made a conditional offer).
Minimum academic entry requirements: Applicants who achieve less than AAAA or AAABB in S5 but have achieved at least ABBB MAY receive an offer based on S6 results. A decision will be made in March 2017 once all applications have been reviewed.
Other mandatory requirements: Must include English and a humanities subject or language at Grades A/B or B/A. Applicants wishing to study Mathematics or Computing Science as part of their degree will require Maths at Grades A or B.

I think clearing is just for if you have no university offers whatsoever and I don't fall into that category so I don't think I'm eligible for that. I have a B in advanced higher history, an A in higher history and B's in higher english, philosophy and business management so I'm not sure I would warrant phoning up Glasgow/Edinburgh to see if they have any free spaces anyway. Might try, anyway since there's nothing to lose through it
Original post by Okle321
I think clearing is just for if you have no university offers whatsoever and I don't fall into that category so I don't think I'm eligible for that. I have a B in advanced higher history, an A in higher history and B's in higher english, philosophy and business management so I'm not sure I would warrant phoning up Glasgow/Edinburgh to see if they have any free spaces anyway. Might try, anyway since there's nothing to lose through it

You can go into clearing if you decline all your offers too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending