The Student Room Group

Is this legal?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Well I didn't actually shout that loud, and it was not in a residental zone. And I was not evidently drunk. I was intoxicated, but I was not falling off my head.

You did in your own words say you were very drunk, how then do you know that you were in control and not out of your head. I would not advise anyone to shout out what you say you have done in the times that we live in.
And why is that word unacceptable? Is Jesus Christ and Buddha also not unacceptable?

You must be living under a rock. Let me enlighten you.In light of recent terrorist attacks, stigmatisation of Islam and innocent Muslims has unfortunately increased. Certain terrorists who carry out attacks are known to shout a phrase related to Islam - unfortunately, just shouting "Islam" or what you said for example could get anyone into trouble.The Muslim man probably thought you were referencing to that, making fun of the horrible situation instead of...whatever the hell you thought you were doing. Both of you were wrong, so I suggest you just move on and learn from your mistake. And ease off the alcohol slightly, yeah?
Original post by AndrewSCO
You know fine well what you were doing when you were shouting that. Stop crying like a little ***** playing the victim card when you instigated it. He didn't even hit you anyway.

You know fine well that you were shouting that in a mocking/derogatory way.

And I do admit that what I did was disingenuous. But there is nothing illegal about it.
You must be living under a rock. Let me enlighten you.In light of recent terrorist attacks, stigmatisation of Islam and innocent Muslims has unfortunately increased. Certain terrorists who carry out attacks are known to shout a phrase related to Islam - unfortunately, just shouting "Islam" or what you said for example could get anyone into trouble.The Muslim man probably thought you were referencing to that, making fun of the horrible situation instead of...whatever the hell you thought you were doing. Both of you were wrong, so I suggest you just move on and learn from your mistake. And ease off the alcohol slightly, yeah?

He probably did. When in fact I wasn't even thinking about that.
Reply 24
I came out of a nightclub around 4AM, I was very drunk(about 20 units drank).

I then shouted 'Allah hu Akbar' a few times on the street. And then a Muslim guy came up to me and got really angry. My friend told me that apparantly he was saying 'Don't say that! Don't diss my religion.'

And then he got his fist out and made a punch onto me but stopped as soon as it went to me, kind of like a fake punch.

Is this legal?
Outside a night club at 4am?
Throwing punches?
#He ain't no Muslim bruv.
"don't insult my peaceful religion or I'll kill you"
Original post by Washington.
Yes, unfortunately you being an idiot is perfectly legal.

Exactly. I agree that I behaved in a disingenuous manner, but what I did was legal.
BTEC LEVEL 3 CERTIFICATE IN APPLIED LAW TO THE RESCUE!

What he did was Common Assault. Common Assault is a summary offence, meaning that it is one of the least serious offences. The crime of Assault does not require the perpetrator to touch the victim. It only requires that the victim was put in apprehension of immediate violence. By raising his fist at you, he made you think that you were about to get hurt. Thus, he committed Common Assault.

Definition of Assault:

"an assault is committed where the defendant intentionally or recklessly causes the victim to apprehend immediate unlawful personal violence."

For summary offences the maximum punishment is 6 months imprisonment, but for such an insignificant offence it's more than likely he wouldn't even get a fine, just a warning. You would be more likely to get punished than him for shouting 'Allahu Akbar.' You'd be better off not reporting it.

Sources:

http://e-lawresources.co.uk/Assault.php
Original post by QE2
Outside a night club at 4am?
Throwing punches?
#He ain't no Muslim bruv.

Actually a lot of Muslims I've met do these types of things, but they still strongly believe in their religion and anyone who insults it, they get well annoyed about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending