The Student Room Group

Living in London with £4750 student loan?

Basically the title.

Going to Imperial College as a Scottish student and since I don't qualify for bursaries or anything and SAAS don't have a London weighting, I believe I only get a £4750 loan for the year (dumb af someone studying in the cheap parts of scotland will get the same amount as me in london fs snp)

My parents aren't particularly well off, just earn more than the £34k household income cut off so I'm not expecting a ton of money from them either.

Is it possible? Imperial predict about £12k a year so I might be ****ed...
£12k seems a lot. It in part, depends on the course you do (I, for example did a computing course and only required a few books, whereas an art student may spend far more on materials) and things like whether you're one of those who goes out a lot.

Any idea how they got the £12k?
Reply 2
Original post by Tiger Rag
£12k seems a lot. It in part, depends on the course you do (I, for example did a computing course and only required a few books, whereas an art student may spend far more on materials) and things like whether you're one of those who goes out a lot.

Any idea how they got the £12k?

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/fees-and-funding/managing-your-money/living-costs/

It's £11k on there but I have a friend studying art in London who says he usually spends around £13k a year so I just averaged between the two, although I guess he will have to spend more on materials etc.

I'd be studying medicine so I guess somewhere in the middle in terms of book costs and all that. Whether I go out or not usually depends on if I have any money lol
Original post by not you
Basically the title.

Going to Imperial College as a Scottish student and since I don't qualify for bursaries or anything and SAAS don't have a London weighting, I believe I only get a £4750 loan for the year (dumb af someone studying in the cheap parts of scotland will get the same amount as me in london fs snp)

My parents aren't particularly well off, just earn more than the £34k household income cut off so I'm not expecting a ton of money from them either.

Is it possible? Imperial predict about £12k a year so I might be ****ed...

It's going to be pretty tough, you'll have to budget well, stay in a twin room in halls e.c.t and you may find you need a part time job.
Reply 4
What about the Imperial bursary? I think you're eligible if your parents' income is under £60,000.
Original post by Mfbm
What about the Imperial bursary? I think you're eligible if your parents' income is under £60,000.

Might only be for English students.
Reply 6
Original post by Tiger Rag
Might only be for English students.

I'm sure the website mentioned the other home nation students, too. I haven't checked in the past few months because I'm no longer interested in Imperial but it would certainly be worth checking out.
Reply 7
Original post by jelly1000
It's going to be pretty tough, you'll have to budget well, stay in a twin room in halls e.c.t and you may find you need a part time job.

Have you studied at Imperial before? Do you know what the kind of workload is like and whether a job over the weekends or weekday evenings is feasible? I heard somewhere that they don't recommend over 10 hours a week so kinda worried about that.

Original post by Mfbm

It's available for all home students, I just don't qualify
Original post by not you
Have you studied at Imperial before? Do you know what the kind of workload is like and whether a job over the weekends or weekday evenings is feasible? I heard somewhere that they don't recommend over 10 hours a week so kinda worried about that.

It's available for all home students, I just don't qualify

Afraid I haven't, workload varies by course, try the Imperial forum on here. You may need to have a frank conversation with your parents, if they earn over £60,000 then really they should be able to spare you something unless they have huge debts or something.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending