The Student Room Group

How long should i study for

I really need 5As this year for the course I want to do at Uni. I am studying, Maths, English, Biology, Chemistry and Geography. How long should I study for per night? and does anyone have any good study tips that they found effective while studying.
Original post by AspiringMedicine
I really need 5As this year for the course I want to do at Uni. I am studying, Maths, English, Biology, Chemistry and Geography. How long should I study for per night? and does anyone have any good study tips that they found effective while studying.

The thing with studying is that it's not 'put in x hours for y result'. It's about how you use those hours and how much you've learnt / achieved in that time. You could sit at a desk for 10 hours straight and start producing rubbish after maybe hour 4 or 5, or on the opposite end someone who's working at, say, 150% efficiency (arbitrarily, more to illustrate a point) could do the same in maybe 2 or 3.

For all of those subjects bar maths, notes are key. Make notes about the key points of everything you study - flash cards may help - and repeatedly test yourself on things until you remember it. It may help to look at the exam in advance and use that to shape your learning - decide what kind of work you need to be doing, where you need to pay attention to etc. Eg if there's always a 30 marker essay then you need to be prepared to write one (in note form, at least, and make the rest up in the exam) then you need to be prepared to write them on any topics you see fit.

And for maths, it's really all about practice. Practice as much as you can (from the textbook or otherwise) until you can do most problems with ease. Seek out more difficult material eg solomon papers if you feel like it, and if you ever get stuck examsolutions is probably a useful website to check out.

Quick Reply

Latest