The Student Room Group

Help I need advice!!

I don't know if i wanna take a gap year after my last year of a-levels, to do Physics and Maths A-levels part time, or to go into uni with what I have already.
I've been looking at careers that I'm interested in and a few that I like are Astrochem, astronomy, chemical physics or Biochem.

What would be best/can I have advice what to do, I'm so conflicted I'm already repeating a year so will go uni at 19, if I take a gap year I will be going at 21 (My birthday fall early in the year); I'm shy, reserved and introverted so making friends is already a challenge.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
What do you have now? What unis are you looking at? Kind of surprised you haven't done Maths or Physics already seeing your choice of courses. I would. Some people don't need friends or at least are very reserved about their need in human interaction and socializing, when you go uni it will be easier to find people with common interests but most importantly you must be fascinated by the subject. Going in at age 21 is not rare, uncommon but by no means looked down upon (at least by the more understanding and intelligent folks which should be plentiful at a university). I would say take a gap year, do Physics and Maths (As maths if you can't cope as Physics does require a lot of effort). I think it will be better for you in the end as you will have a broader choice of courses or at least you will be eligible for the courses you named.
Original post by BunnyMidnight
I don't know if i wanna take a gap year after my last year of a-levels, to do Physics and Maths A-levels part time, or to go into uni with what I have already.
I've been looking at careers that I'm interested in and a few that I like are Astrochem, astronomy, chemical physics or Biochem.

What would be best/can I have advice what to do, I'm so conflicted I'm already repeating a year so will go uni at 19, if I take a gap year I will be going at 21 (My birthday fall early in the year); I'm shy, reserved and introverted so making friends is already a challenge.

Have you looked into spending a gap year working - it might help you figure out what you actually want to do (even if it's "NOT THAT!" ) and help you build up your confidence and comfort levels (plus there's nothing like working to help make friends)
http://www.etrust.org.uk/year-industry/vacancies
Along the lines of what PQ said.

Increasing confidence and knowing more about what you want to do and why, will all help your sudies.
Dont worry about the age thing.

If you do take a gap year then do soemthing with it and find some really good relevant placements that cna inspire you.
Original post by 130398
What do you have now? What unis are you looking at? Kind of surprised you haven't done Maths or Physics already seeing your choice of courses. I would. Some people don't need friends or at least are very reserved about their need in human interaction and socializing, when you go uni it will be easier to find people with common interests but most importantly you must be fascinated by the subject. Going in at age 21 is not rare, uncommon but by no means looked down upon (at least by the more understanding and intelligent folks which should be plentiful at a university). I would say take a gap year, do Physics and Maths (As maths if you can't cope as Physics does require a lot of effort). I think it will be better for you in the end as you will have a broader choice of courses or at least you will be eligible for the courses you named.

At the end of next year I will have A-Level Biology, Psychology, Sociology, Media Studies, Chemistry and English Lit and Lang. My colly didn't allow me to do science or maths, so doing Chem and Bio privately.
The unis I'm looking at is Imperial, Bath, Surrey and UCL.

i had the chance to taste A-Level maths and while it took some time getting my head around it, I found it fun.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PQ
Have you looked into spending a gap year working - it might help you figure out what you actually want to do (even if it's "NOT THAT!" ) and help you build up your confidence and comfort levels (plus there's nothing like working to help make friends)

I looking at working part time, but the gap year will be mainly for fast tracking Physics and Math A-Level but I don't know if it's worth it.
The reason why I'm so conflicted is that I'm leaning towards Astronomy/Astrochemistry and I know that I will need Astrophysics in degree form.

The only alternative is to do astophy at Masters but I don't know if I would get in.
Original post by PQ

Original post by 999tigger
Along the lines of what PQ said.

Increasing confidence and knowing more about what you want to do and why, will all help your sudies.
Dont worry about the age thing.

If you do take a gap year then do soemthing with it and find some really good relevant placements that cna inspire you.

I'm looking at taking on more a-level I just don't know if it's worth it. And I'm a lil confused can you both explain a lil bit??
Reply 7
You do so much! Go for biochemical at Imperial, or whatever you can at Imperial really. If you are introverted that only helps as that will give you previous time to study which you will do a lot in Imperial. You will have incredible career prospects if you pull through with at least a 2:1. UCL ain't bad too, has good international reputation and is slightly easier than Imperial. If you don't want to do Biochemical engineering then you will have to take a gap year for maths and physics. What grades are you expecting from Bio Chem and Eng Lit and Lang? (The others really don't matter for your courses despite the sheer amount of A levels is impressive)

Quick Reply

Latest