The Student Room Group

A2 level results: did anyone else NOT do brilliantly?

I worked really hard, revised from the beginning of the year, and frequently got A grades on homework assignments, yet could not get higher than a C for overall A level results. :frown: Makes me really wish that I had taken a different course.

My A2 results are CCD in Biology, Geography and Mathematics respectively.

It's a little depressing seeing threads full of people who got all As and A*s or are disappointed with B grades. I'm not really complaining about them -- I understand it's disappointing not to quite reach your goals even if those goals are extremely high. But some of us found A levels particularly tough and had to work very hard just to scrape our passes.

Anyone else out there? I imagine generally people with grades like AAA are more inclined to post than those with lower passes like mine (CCD) but statistically not everyone can have gotten the very top grades.

Maybe seeing some threads like this in the mix will help some of the less high-achieving students feel less pressured, ashamed or alone

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zabveniye
I worked really hard, revised from the beginning of the year, and frequently got A grades on homework assignments, yet could not get higher than a C for overall A level results. :frown: Makes me really wish that I had taken a different course.

It's a little depressing seeing threads full of people who got all As and A*s or are disappointed with B grades. I'm not really complaining about them -- I understand it's disappointing not to quite reach your goals even if those goals are extremely high. But some of us found A levels particularly tough and had to work very hard just to scrape our passes.

Anyone else out there? I imagine generally people with grades like AAA are more inclined to post than those with lower passes like mine (CCD) but statistically not everyone can have gotten the very top grades.

Maybe seeing some threads like this in the mix will help some of the less high-achieving students feel less pressured, ashamed or alone

Yeah I know what you mean about people complaining about not achieving their A* when they got an A. Some love ambition, others have have been programmed by schools/teachers/authorities to believe if you don't get the highest or come first, then you ultimately have failed. Don't compare yourself to anyone else on this forum when it comes to things like this. It doesn't do your peace of mine any good sweetheart.

CCD isn't too bad love - but I understand what disappointment is. What are you planning on doing with your results? Go on to uni or something different?
Reply 2

BCE

I believed (I still believe) I am capable of far more than that. That is why I am resitting them in my gap year.

It was a tough year.
q

Hi there! Thanks for sharing your story, you're right that the people with top grades tend to post more :biggrin:.

First off you should be proud of your achievements! You took some tough subjects and worked hard. Remember that some people who achieve the top grades go to fantastic schools/have advantages you might not have had. The most important thing is that you stuck at it and passed your courses. That shows guts and determination.

Second, sharing your story and thinking about how other people might be feeling shows something about you--that you're empathetic and emotionally intelligent. In work and in life, those are the most important skills you can have-way more useful than A*s in Geography.

Congratulations again and all the best for whatever you go on to do next!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BisouX
BCE

I believed (I still believe) I am capable of far more than that. That is why I am resitting them in my gap year.

It was a tough year.

are we still able to resit modules (also on a gap yr right now)?
Reply 5
Original post by alimunir2512
are we still able to resit modules (also on a gap yr right now)?

As far as I know the answer is yes.
Reply 6

I got the exact same grades last summer although in different subjects. I hadn't applied to uni last year but went onto something else. Realising this wasn't for me, I applied to uni on this cycle and got into my top choice (sitting in the top half of the league tables) with an unconditional offer due to already having my grades. From personal experience, your grades aren't everything and on their own, shouldn't create any barriers to success :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Me! Bloody OCR 😡
Original post by 529
I got the exact same grades last summer although in different subjects. I hadn't applied to uni last year but went onto something else. Realising this wasn't for me, I applied to uni on this cycle and got into my top choice (sitting in the top half of the league tables) with an unconditional offer due to already having my grades. From personal experience, your grades aren't everything and on their own, shouldn't create any barriers to success :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations on the unconditional! Totally agree :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Yeah I know what you mean about people complaining about not achieving their A* when they got an A. Some love ambition, others have have been programmed by schools/teachers/authorities to believe if you don't get the highest or come first, then you ultimately have failed. Don't compare yourself to anyone else on this forum when it comes to things like this. It doesn't do your peace of mine any good sweetheart.

CCD isn't too bad love - but I understand what disappointment is. What are you planning on doing with your results? Go on to uni or something different?

The Empire Odyssey, thank you lots for your reply. Those are good points. It's a shame that schools so often program students to think that way.

My plan is to apply for veterinary nursing at uni for 2017 entry. My grades do rule some unis out, but thankfully most entry requirements for the course are not too high, particularly for the foundation courses (some places offer only the foundation course, and some the bachelor's; some offer both with different entry requirements.) They place more emphasis on work experience, which I've been lucky to find plenty of, so hopefully I do still have a chance.

I'm also keeping an eye out for opportunities for work-based training, and will focus on this if I'm unsuccessful with applying to uni.

Thank you again for your thoughts and advice. :smile:

Original post by Professor Oak
Hi there! Thanks for sharing your story, you're right that the people with top grades tend to post more :biggrin:.

First off you should be proud of your achievements! You took some tough subjects and worked hard. Remember that some people who achieve the top grades go to fantastic schools/have advantages you might not have had. The most important thing is that you stuck at it and passed your courses. That shows guts and determination.

Second, sharing your story and thinking about how other people might be feeling shows something about you--that you're empathetic and emotionally intelligent. In work and in life, those are the most important skills you can have-way more useful than A*s in Geography.

Congratulations again and all the best for whatever you go on to do next!

Professor Oak, thank you so much for your kind message and understanding. :smile: Thank you, and all the best to you also!

Original post by 529

Posted from TSR Mobile

529, thank you for sharing this! Congratulations on getting into your top choice. It's really encouraging to hear that your grades didn't hold you back. May I ask what you will be studying at uni? :smile:
Reply 10

I'm in the same boat as you I worked really hard specially in Maths but i got a B even though i got an A at AS. Since i only scrapped an A i decided to work twice as hard this year only to find out i did worse. Whats more annoying is the same thing happened to me in GCSE with my math. Got a B in year 10 so worked towards an A* in year 11 only to get a B overall and i never got anything below and A in homework assignment and practice papers i did at home. So i really badly didn't wan't a repeat in history but it happened anyway.

I got BBDE in Maths,Chemistry,Biology and EPQ respectively.
So be Proud because not everyone will be equally talented.
Reply 11
I go to the top school in the country and got BBC even though I worked crazy hard. Focus on what you got, not everyone else!

Reply 12
Just note that TSR is entirely unrepresentative of people's results in general. Best to avoid trawling through the pages of top results.
I got 3 B's and was a bit disappointed...but whatever I'm still going to uni :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can still get into uni with those grades! I got ACD last year.
I got screwed over by product design once again.
I got BBE. The thing is, I revised hard for product design and got a U in the actual exam which has actually left me confused as to how this has happened. I got a U in it last year as well and resat it with a C. I just think that the paper is cruel as you need to be very precise with your answers otherwise they dont give you any marks, even so there must be an error for me to get a U after doing a lot of revision..
Original post by BenGeorge
I got screwed over by product design once again.
I got BBE. The thing is, I revised hard for product design and got a U in the actual exam which has actually left me confused as to how this has happened. I got a U in it last year as well and resat it with a C. I just think that the paper is cruel as you need to be very precise with your answers otherwise they dont give you any marks, even so there must be an error for me to get a U after doing a lot of revision..

God I remember how difficult Product Design was-it's all about what the marker wants you to write down exactly, rather than original thinking/the meaning of what you wrote.

Sorry it didn't go so well. Are you off to uni?
Original post by bubblegumcat
I got 3 B's and was a bit disappointed...but whatever I'm still going to uni :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations! You should be proud of your Bs :biggrin:. What are you off to study at uni?
I got BCD back in the day :yes:
Original post by Professor Oak
God I remember how difficult Product Design was-it's all about what the marker wants you to write down exactly, rather than original thinking/the meaning of what you wrote.

Sorry it didn't go so well. Are you off to uni?

The uni is reviewing my application and I will know sometime today if they accept me or not. I dont want to go through clearing to be honest and I dont want to through the hell of resitting that subject. If I dont get in then I will likely pursue an apprenticeship which I am not that upset about. Its just a shame really that my school didn't offer that many subjects that I found enjoyable and were in separate blocks.

Quick Reply

Latest