The Student Room Group

what should I drop??

I received my AS results and got Geography and Accounting - A and French - B (a high B). I was always going to drop French but now I am unsure, does accounting look less respectable? However, is French more risky as I have an A in Accounting?????
Aren't you suppose to have 4 AS level subjects that may drop to 3 A levels? What do you plan to do in university?
Reply 2
Original post by CardiffAlvin
Aren't you suppose to have 4 AS level subjects that may drop to 3 A levels? What do you plan to do in university?

Yeah sorry I forgot to mention that I do english literature but thats a linear 2 year course so I can't drop that and I think maybe Geography but if not I was considering a school leaver programme to become an accountant, but accounts isn't required for this.
I'm not familiar with these subjects but look into the modules that geography might have in university. See if they suit your subjects e.g. some modules may need a bit of statistics or maths in which accountancy plays well. If you're thinking of doing geography or accountancy, French still seems the odd one out. However if you really enjoy French then it might be worth considering bringing them all forward to A level and dropping out early in the year if you decide later that it's not for you.
Personally I would say French is more impressive so keep that. Like you say, A level accounting isn't necessary to get onto a school leavers course. In fact it may be beneficial later on if you end up being able to do accounting having finished the leavers course and being able to speak French.

That said I'm a linguist myself so may be biased
Haha. Ye that's a fair point. Even if you don't use French in your degree it does look good having external skills. You could also look at the career prospects to see how they look with either your geography or accounting route.
I'm a biochemist so this is general advice
Reply 6
Original post by warrenryland
Personally I would say French is more impressive so keep that. Like you say, A level accounting isn't necessary to get onto a school leavers course. In fact it may be beneficial later on if you end up being able to do accounting having finished the leavers course and being able to speak French.

That said I'm a linguist myself so may be biased

Yeah I thought this too, its so hard to decide and I have to know by tomorrow. I am also worried if I don't get a high grade next year in French, that would make getting into a good university difficult!
Reply 7
Original post by CardiffAlvin
Haha. Ye that's a fair point. Even if you don't use French in your degree it does look good having external skills. You could also look at the career prospects to see how they look with either your geography or accounting route.
I'm a biochemist so this is general advice

Thank you for your advice! I am going to research into it a bit more, I like all my subjects so its so hard haha!!

Quick Reply

Latest