The Student Room Group

What to drop/pick up for A2 if I want to study Computer Science at uni?

I got my AS results yesterday which were better than I expected, 3 A's in Maths, Electronics and Photography (I can't take photography further because it was a standalone AS -Not that I want to, I did it more as a hobby than anything..). At the very end of yr 12 I started attending further maths lessons as I was considering picking up Further Maths fast track (i.e. AS and A2 in one year) and leaving my electronics as a standalone AS also. However now I'm not sure whether this is going to be too much pressure on myself so have considered continuing electronics and maybe pick up just AS further maths...

By the way I want to go to a Russell Group uni. Thank you in advance for your help! I'm so confused!
Original post by laurenfarrugia
I got my AS results yesterday which were better than I expected, 3 A's in Maths, Electronics and Photography (I can't take photography further because it was a standalone AS -Not that I want to, I did it more as a hobby than anything..). At the very end of yr 12 I started attending further maths lessons as I was considering picking up Further Maths fast track (i.e. AS and A2 in one year) and leaving my electronics as a standalone AS also. However now I'm not sure whether this is going to be too much pressure on myself so have considered continuing electronics and maybe pick up just AS further maths...

By the way I want to go to a Russell Group uni. Thank you in advance for your help! I'm so confused!

How high were your A grades in Maths and Electronics? Effectively you're choosing between doing A2 Electronics and A2 Further Maths. If you felt confident with Maths I'd choose Further Maths.
Don't do computer science. That stuff is boring as won't give you much of a better chance than some random dude with better programming skills and understanding than some silly degree. Most of the greatest and richest programmers and people in that field did not get degrees. It's gonna be obsolete anyway.

Quantum Computing for the win!
You don't need a degree. Go straight to an IT placement or apprenticeship and get your financial stability in three years, as opposed to graduates who still look lost even after getting their degree
Original post by sweeneyrod
How high were your A grades in Maths and Electronics? Effectively you're choosing between doing A2 Electronics and A2 Further Maths. If you felt confident with Maths I'd choose Further Maths.

My UMS was slightly better in Electronics (251) whilst my maths was 242 so I only just got the A to be honest. However it was my coursework in electronics which dragged my grade up because I got high B's in both papers. Maths I got A's in C1 +C2 and a B in stats which is my least favorite area of maths.

I'd go for further maths but only you know how confident you are with maths to know whether to go with A level or AS. My computer science students are all maths and further maths students and it really gives them an advantage when looking at logic and algorithmic complexity etc.

Original post by Personinsertname
Don't do computer science. That stuff is boring as won't give you much of a better chance than some random dude with better programming skills and understanding than some silly degree. Most of the greatest and richest programmers and people in that field did not get degrees. It's gonna be obsolete anyway.

Quantum Computing for the win!

Computer science is boring? D: Computer science is brilliantly interesting! Programming is one tiny part of computing. A very very tiny part. Some people just don't like programming but love computer science.

Original post by shawn_o1
You don't need a degree. Go straight to an IT placement or apprenticeship and get your financial stability in three years, as opposed to graduates who still look lost even after getting their degree

Depends what the OP wants to do. If it's just programming or similar stuff then, yeah, maybe go for a placement or apprenticeship. If you want to be involved in the really stuff then go forth and get the degree. The links with industry (I worked with last.fm creating a 3D clicky visualisation of the connections between artists based in user's played data), atmosphere you're working in (late nights frantically calculating why our new shiny physics engine was going utterly bonkers), and the academic interests you have the chance to build make it worthwhile. I think there are two types of computer scientist - it depends on what you really enjoy: academic computer science (the fun electronic, mathsy stuff) or the practical programming (which for me would be completely soul destroying). Degree covers both, apprenticeships tend to be much more focused.
Original post by ParadoxSocks
I'd go for further maths but only you know how confident you are with maths to know whether to go with A level or AS. My computer science students are all maths and further maths students and it really gives them an advantage when looking at logic and algorithmic complexity etc.

Computer science is boring? D: Computer science is brilliantly interesting! Programming is one tiny part of computing. A very very tiny part. Some people just don't like programming but love computer science.

Depends what the OP wants to do. If it's just programming or similar stuff then, yeah, maybe go for a placement or apprenticeship. If you want to be involved in the really stuff then go forth and get the degree. The links with industry (I worked with last.fm creating a 3D clicky visualisation of the connections between artists based in user's played data), atmosphere you're working in (late nights frantically calculating why our new shiny physics engine was going utterly bonkers), and the academic interests you have the chance to build make it worthwhile. I think there are two types of computer scientist - it depends on what you really enjoy: academic computer science (the fun electronic, mathsy stuff) or the practical programming (which for me would be completely soul destroying). Degree covers both, apprenticeships tend to be much more focused.

Thank you this was so helpful, I want to get the degree because I love Computing, electronics, maths etc. I find it so interesting and want to learn as much as I can about the subject. How things work and programming have always interested me. Although I enjoy programming it isn't the most interesting part for me :smile: If i worked hard I think I would be capable of getting a good grade in Further maths, I must admit I didn't put as much effort into maths this year focusing on other subjects which I found harder. Thank you again :smile:
My UMS was slightly better in Electronics (251) whilst my maths was 242 so I only just got the A to be honest. However it was my coursework in electronics which dragged my grade up because I got high B's in both papers. Maths I got A's in C1 +C2 and a B in stats which is my least favorite area of maths.

I was writing up a response warning you away from doing further maths as a fast track, but saw you want to go to a russell group uni. I'm not the most clued up on admissions standards, but I struggle to see the higher tier universities make offers to someone with only two subjects taken to A2 level. If you are able to handle the work load, I'd advise doing maths and further as well. But it would be the harder route I'd guess.

However I would FAR MORE ADVISE calling up a handful of universities you are interested in, and asking what the people handling CompSci admissions would rather you take. For all the collective wisdom on tsr (:ahee:) I can't see anyone more equipped to be answering your question than the unis themselves. And it really isn't worth messing up your future by listening to some random collection of people on the internet, over talking to those who's job it is to actually know the answer and give you the correct advice, y'know?
Thank you this was so helpful, I want to get the degree because I love Computing, electronics, maths etc. I find it so interesting and want to learn as much as I can about the subject. How things work and programming have always interested me. Although I enjoy programming it isn't the most interesting part for me :smile: If i worked hard I think I would be capable of getting a good grade in Further maths, I must admit I didn't put as much effort into maths this year focusing on other subjects which I found harder. Thank you again :smile:

For further maths you're going to need to work your socks off, and as SirKyrgystan said, you need to be applying to university with three A levels. If that means you need to get through further maths A level in a year then you're going to need to talk to your maths teacher about how likely it is going to be, and you need to make sure that the unis you're looking at accept your combination. They are magical things with magical thinking and I've had to tell students to stop at AS computer science to take computer science at the very high end universities. It's all a bit bonkers.

You will absolutely love computer science if you really enjoy that combination. Electronics and maths will serve you well!

Original post by SirKyrgystan
I was writing up a response warning you away from doing further maths as a fast track, but saw you want to go to a russell group uni. I'm not the most clued up on admissions standards, but I struggle to see the higher tier universities make offers to someone with only two subjects taken to A2 level. If you are able to handle the work load, I'd advise doing maths and further as well. But it would be the harder route I'd guess.

However I would FAR MORE ADVISE calling up a handful of universities you are interested in, and asking what the people handling CompSci admissions would rather you take. For all the collective wisdom on tsr (:ahee:) I can't see anyone more equipped to be answering your question than the unis themselves. And it really isn't worth messing up your future by listening to some random collection of people on the internet, over talking to those who's job it is to actually know the answer and give you the correct advice, y'know?

I agree completely with this. I'm a computer science teacher (all A/A* students off to brilliant unis this year. woooo.) whose wife works with admissions and I still can't give the super specific advice the OP needs.

Quick Reply

Latest