The Student Room Group

Distance LLB, LLM in USA and New york bar

Hi,

I am planning to take distance LLB course in University of London as graduate course from September this year.

Q1) It is eligible for me to apply LLB in USA after achieving this distance LLB course? I have around 10 years career in contract management aspect in construction company and am take this LLB course in parallel with my work as well.

Q2) In the event I will achieve a distance LLB and LLM in USA, is it also eligible for me to sit in New-york bar exam?

It is very crucial bearing in mind that i am about to begin a distance LLB course in the objective of sitting New york bar exam? Your valuable advice would be appreciated.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Danny Hwang
Hi,

I am planning to take distance LLB course in University of London as graduate course from September this year.

Q1) It is eligible for me to apply LLB in USA after achieving this distance LLB course? I have around 10 years career in contract management aspect in construction company and am take this LLB course in parallel with my work as well.

Q2) In the event I will achieve a distance LLB and LLM in USA, is it also eligible for me to sit in New-york bar exam?

It is very crucial bearing in mind that i am about to begin a distance LLB course in the objective of sitting New york bar exam? Your valuable advice would be appreciated.

Why don't you contact the New York State Bar to ask them or ask someone at BarBri International - they will tell you if you are eligible. I certainly wouldn't make your choice on the basis of what someone on here tells you - it's much too important for that.

You also need to consider the costs involved of what you have in mind, especially the LLM, and the fact that you will need (I assume) sponsorship for a working visa for the US.

Think about your plans carefully - are you someone who will realistically get through all this without massive debt and with a realistic prospet of a job at the end?
The LLB generally does not exist at any US university. So your bachelor of laws from a US university would be virtually worthless if you want to practice law in the US.

The LLM exists at US and UK universities, but it's generally not a qualifying law degree. It would be worthless as a means of getting admitted to the bar in the US unless you were already admitted in the UK as an executive lawyer (via CILEX), or as a solicitor, or as barrister. And in that case, you would have to choose an ABA-approved LLM to JD program for foreign lawyers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending