The Student Room Group

Is an essential reading list essential?

Hi this may sound like a stupid question, I start my Masters in Interior Design on the 12th September, I've been emailed an "essential reading list" that will involve a discussion the list contains 7 books, now my question is am I expected to read all these books in 3 weeks? I'm working 5 days a week this summer and have no idea where I'm going to get time to read these and surely they cannot expect us to be paying hundreds outs before student finance or support is given?
Original post by Sickjoystick
Hi this may sound like a stupid question, I start my Masters in Interior Design on the 12th September, I've been emailed an "essential reading list" that will involve a discussion the list contains 7 books, now my question is am I expected to read all these books in 3 weeks? I'm working 5 days a week this summer and have no idea where I'm going to get time to read these and surely they cannot expect us to be paying hundreds outs before student finance or support is given?

Yes. They will form the background to discussions/lectures etc on the course from the start, and if you haven't read them, you'll be behind the drag curve. A reading list of 7 is relatively light, many courses will have 10 books across 4-6 modules.

Not everyone will agree with this but in my experience essential reading is not always that essential. For my undergraduate degree I purchased most books on the list and didn't need to read them. An essential reading list tends to be a case of "read these for a background understanding of what we're going to cover in the course". The thing with this reading at masters level is that it is so generalised that it is not necessarily that vital to what you're going to be covering on your masters.

There are so many good quality academic journals online that I did not purchase a single book for my last MSc for which I got a merit.

The thing with being a masters student who cant afford to buy the essential reading is that when it comes to completing coursework and exams, you'll have a better idea of what specific material you need to be looking up once you start your course.

So is essential reading that desperately essential? I would argue that it may not be.*
Reply 3

You are expected to read most if not all of them, across the course of the module. Not in the first week obviously?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending