The Student Room Group

Applying for Midwifery for 2017 start in Scotland.

Hi guys, I'm new to student rooms but figured this would possibly be a good way to get some advice and answers to questions I have about midwifery and getting in.

I'm currently doing a night class in human biology, working full time and also going to shadow a midwife in my local maternity unit to try and build up my application as best as possible. I'm so sure that this is the career for me and I feel real excitement about starting this stage in my life however I am wondering from the point of current students if you ever had any doubts before starting the course? My worries mainly concern the practical stuff and having the confidence to be responsible for an expectant mother/baby, they are only small worries but I wanted to know if I'm alone in feeling this way or if it is a common feeling that is overcome once on placement etc?

All opinions and extra information welcome,

Thanks K x
Original post by kas14
Hi guys, I'm new to student rooms but figured this would possibly be a good way to get some advice and answers to questions I have about midwifery and getting in.

I'm currently doing a night class in human biology, working full time and also going to shadow a midwife in my local maternity unit to try and build up my application as best as possible. I'm so sure that this is the career for me and I feel real excitement about starting this stage in my life however I am wondering from the point of current students if you ever had any doubts before starting the course? My worries mainly concern the practical stuff and having the confidence to be responsible for an expectant mother/baby, they are only small worries but I wanted to know if I'm alone in feeling this way or if it is a common feeling that is overcome once on placement etc?

All opinions and extra information welcome,

Thanks K x

Any sort of healthcare profession comes with a lot of responsibility, but be reassured by the fact that you will be under close supervision and have a good support network. I'm sure at some point everyone doing these courses has had doubts about whether they could do it. Confidence is something that is built, no one starts with it and being overly confident at the beginning can be dangerous. Be enthusiastic and keen to take learning opportunities but don't pressure yourself to take on too much too soon and you'll be fine. Gradually you will feel more confident and want to work more autonomously. *

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending