The Student Room Group

A Level Choices

I start sixth form in September and I still haven't decided what A Levels to take. I am going to wait until I get my GCSE results on Thursday before I properly decide but if I get good grades in these subjects I was wanting to take Spanish, Chemistry and Biology. However, I don't know what to take for my 4th option or whether to just take 3. I was strongly considering Maths but outside school, I train 20 hours a week for sport climbing so I'm worried I won't be able to do it as I know especially Maths takes up a lot of time. I am thinking of either studying Biomedical Science or Law at University but want to keep my options open. What subject would be good as my 4th or should I just stick to 3?
I think a good fourth option would be English Literature or Language as it is highly regarded by universities.
Reply 2
Original post by izziehough
I start sixth form in September and I still haven't decided what A Levels to take. I am going to wait until I get my GCSE results on Thursday before I properly decide but if I get good grades in these subjects I was wanting to take Spanish, Chemistry and Biology. However, I don't know what to take for my 4th option or whether to just take 3. I was strongly considering Maths but outside school, I train 20 hours a week for sport climbing so I'm worried I won't be able to do it as I know especially Maths takes up a lot of time. I am thinking of either studying Biomedical Science or Law at University but want to keep my options open. What subject would be good as my 4th or should I just stick to 3?

I'd suggest doing 4 since some Universities require you to have 3 A2 Subjects and one AS, also it allows you to have more options as you may decide you dislike x subject but love y subject so you drop x and move the other three to A2 for example.

Maths doesn't take more time than other subjects (in my opinion) as if you focus well during the lessons and keep up to date it's surprisingly not too time consuming outside of school. Of course it's also a great subject in terms of keeping your options open and will be a good addition for a Biomedical Science degree.

As for Law, I'd say an essay based subject such as History/English/Economics would help you out in terms of being seen as a desirable candidate but I'm pretty sure there are usually no subject requirements for Law.
Reply 3
I mean maths would be a great forth subject as it ties in very nicely with the sciences.... But I guess something like English Literature or a Social Science could be just as beneficial.
If you want to keep the option of Law open, I'd suggest taking English Literature or History, as they are both good preparation for a Law degree :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by AJC1997
I'd suggest doing 4 since some Universities require you to have 3 A2 Subjects and one AS, also it allows you to have more options as you may decide you dislike x subject but love y subject so you drop x and move the other three to A2 for example.

Maths doesn't take more time than other subjects (in my opinion) as if you focus well during the lessons and keep up to date it's surprisingly not too time consuming outside of school. Of course it's also a great subject in terms of keeping your options open and will be a good addition for a Biomedical Science degree.

As for Law, I'd say an essay based subject such as History/English/Economics would help you out in terms of being seen as a desirable candidate but I'm pretty sure there are usually no subject requirements for Law.

That's good to hear, i'll wait and see what I got in Maths GCSE and possibly take that then! Thank you :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Leviathan1741
If you want to keep the option of Law open, I'd suggest taking English Literature or History, as they are both good preparation for a Law degree :smile:

I'd really like to be able to take English Lit but unfortunately it's my weakest subject, I took it last year and got a B grade. I didn't take History GCSE but I'm considering taking it next year as the topics look really interesting. Thanks for the help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest