The Student Room Group

Do you agree that a levels are harder than uni?

Scroll to see replies

Every Uni engineering department I've visited has said first year is easier than A levels. Not sure about other subjects though.
Original post by Tkkkkk16
haha i suppose it all depends on the degree then.

And university. :wink:
Original post by vincrows

And the individual...
Original post by marcobruni98
She just said that she found her degree easier than her A-levels, I think she also did maths and biology a levels which may have been why she found it harder... No need to call bs... :smile: Probably not a great uni, let's just say she's not the brightest of the bunch. Btw I was not attacking psychology(which I love), I was honestly saying what I've heard. I want to become a psychiatrist :smile:

I did biology A-level and again it's a walk in the park compared to degree level 🙈

The main thing with degree level is the standards. You can easily get a 90 at A-level if you repeat back what you learned. I remember A-level Psychology just involved describing a study, and then giving some good and bad methodological points. It was like a recipe, once you got it, it was so easy.

Degree level is different, because a 90 at degree level means that it's worthy of publication in an academic journal. So to me, the standards alone make it harder.

In order to get a 70 (a First) you have to go beyond what you were taught and add something original. So for every lecture you'd have a chapter or several journal articles for required reading, then you had to find your own reading that will be different but still relevant on top of that in order to get a First. To this day I still don't know how people manage to squeeze all that in.

I remember the first thing my lecturer said at uni was to try and forget the way you were taught Psychology at A-level, in reality it's a lot more complicated.

I wasn't calling bs to you, but to her, because she's given a completely wrong expectation of what a psychology degree is like.

That's cool, best of luck with your endeavours!! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by vincrows

Yep.

Original post by Scienceisgood
Yes, A Levels are MUCH harder than my degree imo... I am about to enter my third year of Biomedical Science and I have found this so much nicer than the *****iness of exams when I was at Sixth Form...Posted from TSR Mobile

Sarcasm?
(edited 7 years ago)
So I've heard from many people that they found a levels much harder than uni work. As i havent experienced neither of them, i cant make a judgement..anyone who agrees?(im about to start sixth form)

I was always told this during sixth form, and so many people believed it but honestly it depends on your degree.

I study medicine and our exams make Alevels look like childs play, wheras i know my flatmates who tooks languages and english said that their degree was much easier than Alevels (especially stress wise).

Posted from TSR Mobile
So I've heard from many people that they found a levels much harder than uni work. As i havent experienced neither of them, i cant make a judgement..anyone who agrees?(im about to start sixth form)

If you studied Stem subjects I.e Maths, F.maths, Physics, Chemistry ... ofc
your A levels would be harder than say 'David Beckham studies' at university. :laugh:
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
If you studied Stem subjects I.e Maths, F.maths, Physics, Chemistry ... ofc
your A levels would be harder than say 'David Beckham studies' at university. :laugh:
Lmao does such a degree exist
Lol no. A-Levels are ****ing piss easy. Just flick through a revision guide and do a few past papers and anyone can get an A.

At uni, the required knowledge isn't bounded by one textbook. You have to synthesise your own information across lots of different sources. As you progress, textbooks alone won't have anywhere near the detail you require or will be outdated so you have to look at original research papers and review articles in journals.
Original post by Asklepios
Lol no. A-Levels are ****ing piss easy. Just flick through a revision guide and do a few past papers and anyone can get an A.

At uni, the required knowledge isn't bounded by one textbook. You have to synthesise your own information across lots of different sources. As you progress, textbooks alone won't have anywhere near the detail you require or will be outdated so you have to look at original research papers and review articles in journals.

This entirely,
I personally found my first year of uni not particularly less harder than a levels but I found it a lot less stressful.
Such a poor question. It depends entirely on what degree and at what university you study.

I'm going on a dentistry course in Europe. The drop out rate is almost fifty percent in the first year and is possibly one of the most demanding courses in the whole continent. I can say without a doubt, before even going there, that it will be 10x more intense than A-Levels. I'm looking forward to being able to look back at A2 and think how easy it was back then.

Somebody earlier said that our work ethic is worse at Uni, which I really doubt is true. Personally I feel that I'm much more mature and wise now and I can revise more effectively and diligently than what I was like in Year 13.
After doing 1 year at uni I think A levels are harder. But I didn't find A level Geography, what my degree is in, hard because I enjoyed it so got an A. I found A level Biology hard and hated it. I liked AS biology but hated the A2 content and had no friends in my class so didn't like it at all and did rubbish with a D. I found English Language not 'hard' but very boring.
(I found my AS General Studies easy and got an A)

I believe whether you find something hard or not is down to how much you enjoy it when it comes to academics :biggrin:

I didn't have a very nice time at sixth form and was in a bad place. I moved so didn't know anyone in the area when I started. I was stabbed in the back by the snakes who I initially tried to be friends with.That place was not for me as the people were very different and snobby compared to those in my secondary school. I believe me being miserable there contributed to me not achieving my full potential. I am so much happier at uni with real friends so am doing much better :smile:
Original post by Twinpeaks
Yep.

Sarcasm?

Actually, I wasn't being sarcastic at all. =l
Original post by Scienceisgood
Actually, I wasn't being sarcastic at all. =l

I simply can't believe that! A good friend of mine completed a biomedical degree and she found it a lot more difficult than A-levels. She did biology, chemistry, and maths at A-level and found them a walk in the park comparison. That's in in terms of the content, the expectations and also the workload. The A-level content was basically covered in the first couple of weeks, and then that was it, onto much more difficult stuff.

I can only think it must vary between unis. You got lucky :tongue:
I found my degree to be significantly more challenging than A Levels.
My Chemistry teacher said that A-levels are easier than degrees however with A levels you have less time.
I simply can't believe that! A good friend of mine completed a biomedical degree and she found it a lot more difficult than A-levels. She did biology, chemistry, and maths at A-level and found them a walk in the park comparison. That's in in terms of the content, the expectations and also the workload. The A-level content was basically covered in the first couple of weeks, and then that was it, onto much more difficult stuff.

I can only think it must vary between unis. You got lucky :tongue:

I HATED A-Levels with a PASSION, seriously. These are the hardest things I've ever done...
Honestly, the worst years of my life were spent in Sixth Form...
Did the same A Levels as your friend too...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 38
Complete bs.

I've completed both a Psychology A-level and a psychology degree, and the A-levels are a complete walk in the park compared to the degree. A lot of people struggle with a psychology degree because their expectations from their A-levels courses were entirely different. So many people in the first year of university moaned that it's "too sciencey".

Which uni did she go to.

I had something like 98% for Psychology A-level and my degree average was 69%. I revised a couple of nights before for my A-level but my degree course had me working until 2 in the morning with the occasional tears. Whatever uni your teacher went to, go there...

I've also completed a Psychology degree and I think it depends on the way you look at it. I took the IB at sixth form and I do feel like it was harder than my degree because of the workload and stress which comes with it.That being said the IB meant I had to take a Science. Studying Biology prior to my degree definitely prepared me for the sciencey aspects of Psych.

Overall, I just found my degree was a more manageable workload compared to the IB.

I think a lot of people find there is quite a jump from GCSE's to A levels, whereas the jump from A levels to a degree (depending on subject) is smaller. Also, your first year of university tends to be ungraded so you can get away with doing minimal work. That's probably why a lot of people say they find their degree easier than A levels.
id have agreed with that all year until my exams, at that point, the coffee drinking, casual , late-to-lectures, take it easy side to uni ended and then it was all nighters before exams and constant work for 8 weeks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending