The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by jshep000
Hope you're doing slightly better now, drop me a PM <3

how'd you do in your math exams? i remember we got identical answers lmao
Original post by Yua
how'd you do in your math exams? i remember we got identical answers lmao

loool idk if it was me pal, flopped maths hard got an E overall zzz ended up with BBE and got into my insurance so it was calm. How did your year go?
Original post by Anon_98
Right, so I'm going to apologise for how long this will be in advance but I need advice so I think it's vital I go into detail. I'm also just going to put my pride aside + include my grades in this post bc I don't care enough anymore to be embarassed by them but I'd really appreciate it if the responses are somewhat considerate.

Okay so, obviously yesterday was A level results day + I'm not an A* student by any means, but I honestly, honestly expected to do a whole lot better than I did.

My AS subjects were Bio, Chem, Maths + Physics.

My A2 subjects were Bio Chem + Maths.

I literally still cannot believe the marks that I got from some units, I genuinely think there's been a mistake or something bc I came out of a few exams 100% knowing I had at least got an A from mark schemes, common sense etc + yet on my sheet it states otherwise but perhaps I'm simply not as good at exams as I thought. Well, exceedingly terrible.

Last year I completed my AS levels + came out with CDEU.

At the time, I thought I tried for them but tbh, I think I just thought they'd be like GCSEs + looking back, I most probably deserved those grades from the level of work I put in. They still came as an absolute shock to me though bc throughout the first year, I was getting A grades in all class tests. Every single one. I don't think I received below an A grade in any mocks etc. (Bar physics, ofc. )

So this year, I dropped physics + retook all my AS exams from last year as well as my A2 exams and slightly improved the AS grades of CDE to BCE in Chemistry, Maths + Biology, respectively. To say I am dissapointed would be a severe understatement but.. whatever.

My A2 grades however, were DEU.

In every single Biology exam from AS + A2, I got a U.

I got a fricking U in my resits.

Who the hell gets a U grade in a resit.

But it's done.

I also got an E or U in every A2 exam.

I don't enjoy Biology, truanted almost every lesson, found it really difficult + yeah, idk maybe that explains it.

I don't enjoy maths, didn't attempt a few of my final maths exams despite studying for them bc I was really fed up so maybe that explains that grade.

I don't know anymore.

I'm really confused with Chemistry tho. It's the only A level out of the 3, that I'm semi-okay at + I don't know wtf happened. I literally don't know. I was so dreadfully upset, rightfully angry + confused + wtf nah.

So instead of going into sixth form like I should have, I cried for hours, started developing a self-loathing attitude then went to bed for some much needed sleep + celebrated my *****y results afterwards.

Despite my beyond horrific results, I surprisingly had a pretty great day.

But I've calmed down now + over it all so I have decided to evaluate:

I don't know whether A levels are not for me.

I don't know whether the sciences + maths aren't for me.

I don't know whether it's bc it's just been a difficult year.

I don't know whether I took up way too many exams + did more than I could manage.

I don't know.

I would like to study Chemistry at University so apprenticeships + the like aren't for me.

I know that not everyone needs to go to uni but I personally would v much like to go bc I feel like it's a life experience that I wouldn't want to miss out on + I certainly still do believe that I'm capable of achieving something that I'd be proud of whether that be during higher education or after several attempts at A level.

I can't speak to any one professional from school bc I didn't go in yesterday so I'm resorting to asking advice from TSR.

Yes, I regret not going in but I can't do anything about it now.

I realise TSR isn't the best place either bc anyone who fails is deemed as relatively unworthy.

The funny thing was people were trying to comfort me by giving tons of examples of all these business men who got straight U's + are now earning £34897584839, but I don't want to be a business person, I only want to study some compounds that I can't pronounce the names of so it's not exactly accurate or reassuring.

Anyway, I did try really hard during the year, I looked back on stuff + it seems that I started revising in February.

But I don't know whether I burnt out when it got to June.

Or let myself go in the exam hall.

I feel so helpless hence why I'm here.

Tbh, after yesterday.. I am genuinely past caring + I don't actually care anymore about it.

About anything.

Nor do I wish to discuss this matter bc I'd more than happily go with the flow + live each day as it comes then laugh at the outcome.

But I know that in reality, I have to sort this out in order to continue breathing, I just don't know how.

So my first plan is that I retake all my A2 exams this year.

The problem with that tho is that I don't know if I like science anymore, I don't know if I'd be able to cope with doing the same work all over again. I'd be applying as a private candidate so I don't know if I'd have the motivation. What if I get bored + give up? Regardless of those doubts, it feels like the easier option since I have all the material.

My second "idea" is that I take up a whole new set of A levels. - English Lit, Photography + Art + Design.

The problem with that is I don't know what I'd end up doing at University, I'd have to move sixth form + do another 2 years at school + I don't know if my body is up for that. The good part is that I'd probably feel motivated to complete them bc it'd be something new + something I'm interested in.

The third option is that I go abroad + run away from my problems.

No, really.

Go to Africa for a week this August, then if I like it enough defer + stay there for a few months, volunteer + most likely get stressed out again once I return to England. This is infact what my parent would like me to do on the basis that I need "time off" + it'd benefit me. I don't know how that'd help in an academic light but there we go.

If anyone has any advice on what to do then please do share, I'm pretty desperate.

+ well, for anyone else who is sort of in the same position.. remember that you can't have a pretty rainbow without lots of rain. :'3

Have you considered doing an access course? I hear they are quite different from AS levels. And btw only go to Africa if you have contacts out there, or are on a package holiday. It simply isn't a safe place when the lights go out, i'm afraid. And yes i have been there four times!
Original post by Anon_98
Oh.. why do you have to be so sweet.

Sorry, it was solely due to the fact I didn't have the energy to respond to each individual post, but I was v much grateful for what each + every one of you wrote for me + took it all on board, yes.

+ I am doing fine, thank you, I hope you are too.

Aww, no worries. Anytime, my pleasure :smile:
Glad you're ok. I'm good too, just trying to get by x
Original post by Pudge666
Mate be proud , you took some hard academic subjects unlike half of tsr students who brag about their a* in subjects like breathing and cleaning tea pot

Genuinley laughed out loud, gold from you :biggrin:
Original post by Anon_98
AQA. (Bio, Chem.)

+

Edexcel. (Maths.)

Trust me, AQA is a pretty tough exam board for the sciences - Hard subjects regardless especially as they're hard sciences. Chemistry was this year especially with the stuff they pulled for CHEM 4 this year, I know this because I am also an A Level student who didn't get what he needed to go to his dream University after taking both AQA Biology and AQA Chemistry.

From reading your post you do sound a bit unsure of your dedication to Chemistry, so I'd suggest taking a gap year to really clear your head and fully decide on what you want. I also asked a similar question on here and I guess after a lot of quiet thought and consideration of my own results, I decided to take a gap year and resit most of my Chem modules along with 1 Maths module.

I know it might seem like your life is crumbling down, but it's not too late! There are a lot of people experiencing this crisis along with you, and most of us sympathise with you and will sure support you with whatever kind of problems you share here. I don't have as much experience as some of these fine posters here but I sincerely wish you the best of luck in your academic future and your life choices. I'm always open for a chat if you need someone to talk to though. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Anon_98
Right, so I'm going to apologise for how long this will be in advance but I need advice so I think it's vital I go into detail. I'm also just going to put my pride aside + include my grades in this post bc I don't care enough anymore to be embarassed by them but I'd really appreciate it if the responses are somewhat considerate.

Okay so, obviously yesterday was A level results day + I'm not an A* student by any means, but I honestly, honestly expected to do a whole lot better than I did.

My AS subjects were Bio, Chem, Maths + Physics.

My A2 subjects were Bio Chem + Maths.

I literally still cannot believe the marks that I got from some units, I genuinely think there's been a mistake or something bc I came out of a few exams 100% knowing I had at least got an A from mark schemes, common sense etc + yet on my sheet it states otherwise but perhaps I'm simply not as good at exams as I thought. Well, exceedingly terrible.

Last year I completed my AS levels + came out with CDEU.

At the time, I thought I tried for them but tbh, I think I just thought they'd be like GCSEs + looking back, I most probably deserved those grades from the level of work I put in. They still came as an absolute shock to me though bc throughout the first year, I was getting A grades in all class tests. Every single one. I don't think I received below an A grade in any mocks etc. (Bar physics, ofc. )

So this year, I dropped physics + retook all my AS exams from last year as well as my A2 exams and slightly improved the AS grades of CDE to BCE in Chemistry, Maths + Biology, respectively. To say I am dissapointed would be a severe understatement but.. whatever.

My A2 grades however, were DEU.

In every single Biology exam from AS + A2, I got a U.

I got a fricking U in my resits.

Who the hell gets a U grade in a resit.

But it's done.

I also got an E or U in every A2 exam.

I don't enjoy Biology, truanted almost every lesson, found it really difficult + yeah, idk maybe that explains it.

I don't enjoy maths, didn't attempt a few of my final maths exams despite studying for them bc I was really fed up so maybe that explains that grade.

I don't know anymore.

I'm really confused with Chemistry tho. It's the only A level out of the 3, that I'm semi-okay at + I don't know wtf happened. I literally don't know. I was so dreadfully upset, rightfully angry + confused + wtf nah.

So instead of going into sixth form like I should have, I cried for hours, started developing a self-loathing attitude then went to bed for some much needed sleep + celebrated my *****y results afterwards.

Despite my beyond horrific results, I surprisingly had a pretty great day.

But I've calmed down now + over it all so I have decided to evaluate:

I don't know whether A levels are not for me.

I don't know whether the sciences + maths aren't for me.

I don't know whether it's bc it's just been a difficult year.

I don't know whether I took up way too many exams + did more than I could manage.

I don't know.

I would like to study Chemistry at University so apprenticeships + the like aren't for me.

I know that not everyone needs to go to uni but I personally would v much like to go bc I feel like it's a life experience that I wouldn't want to miss out on + I certainly still do believe that I'm capable of achieving something that I'd be proud of whether that be during higher education or after several attempts at A level.

I can't speak to any one professional from school bc I didn't go in yesterday so I'm resorting to asking advice from TSR.

Yes, I regret not going in but I can't do anything about it now.

I realise TSR isn't the best place either bc anyone who fails is deemed as relatively unworthy.

The funny thing was people were trying to comfort me by giving tons of examples of all these business men who got straight U's + are now earning £34897584839, but I don't want to be a business person, I only want to study some compounds that I can't pronounce the names of so it's not exactly accurate or reassuring.

Anyway, I did try really hard during the year, I looked back on stuff + it seems that I started revising in February.

But I don't know whether I burnt out when it got to June.

Or let myself go in the exam hall.

I feel so helpless hence why I'm here.

Tbh, after yesterday.. I am genuinely past caring + I don't actually care anymore about it.

About anything.

Nor do I wish to discuss this matter bc I'd more than happily go with the flow + live each day as it comes then laugh at the outcome.

But I know that in reality, I have to sort this out in order to continue breathing, I just don't know how.

So my first plan is that I retake all my A2 exams this year.

The problem with that tho is that I don't know if I like science anymore, I don't know if I'd be able to cope with doing the same work all over again. I'd be applying as a private candidate so I don't know if I'd have the motivation. What if I get bored + give up? Regardless of those doubts, it feels like the easier option since I have all the material.

My second "idea" is that I take up a whole new set of A levels. - English Lit, Photography + Art + Design.

The problem with that is I don't know what I'd end up doing at University, I'd have to move sixth form + do another 2 years at school + I don't know if my body is up for that. The good part is that I'd probably feel motivated to complete them bc it'd be something new + something I'm interested in.

The third option is that I go abroad + run away from my problems.

No, really.

Go to Africa for a week this August, then if I like it enough defer + stay there for a few months, volunteer + most likely get stressed out again once I return to England. This is infact what my parent would like me to do on the basis that I need "time off" + it'd benefit me. I don't know how that'd help in an academic light but there we go.

If anyone has any advice on what to do then please do share, I'm pretty desperate.

+ well, for anyone else who is sort of in the same position.. remember that you can't have a pretty rainbow without lots of rain. :'3

I haven't read the whole thread, but I just want to say I got the same exact results. Well I did physics biology and Chemistry. Can't say I'm not happy to see that I'm not alone. Currently in deep depression. Stay strong
Reply 47
Original post by Imtheish
I haven't read the whole thread, but I just want to say I got the same exact results. Well I did physics biology and Chemistry. Can't say I'm not happy to see that I'm not alone. Currently in deep depression.

I know the future looks bleak but I'll be here if you need me.

Stay strong

Yeah, you too.
Original post by Anon_98
I know the future looks bleak but I'll be here if you need me.

Yeah, you too.

Are you going to retake?
Reply 49
Are you going to retake?

I don't know, I still feel a bit lost + can't seem to be able to think properly. Are you?
Reply 50
Original post by jshep000
loool idk if it was me pal, flopped maths hard got an E overall zzz ended up with BBE and got into my insurance so it was calm. How did your year go?

pretty sure it was you, got a* in maths
Reply 51
Original post by john2054
Have you considered doing an access course? I hear they are quite different from AS levels. And btw only go to Africa if you have contacts out there, or are on a package holiday. It simply isn't a safe place when the lights go out, i'm afraid. And yes i have been there four times!

pretty sure OP is African
Reply 52
Original post by Yua
pretty sure OP is African

Pretty sure the sky is yellow.

Considering we've never even spoken before, you sound strangely certain.- Think you have me confused for another TSR-ian lmao.

Original post by john2054
And btw only go to Africa if you have contacts out there, or are on a package holiday. It simply isn't a safe place when the lights go out, i'm afraid. And yes i have been there four times!

You visited the entirety of Africa? So, you travelled to all 54 countries + from your mere 4 stays have concluded that the entire continent "isn't safe" or ...what? Well, okay. Anyway, I hypothetically won't be roaming in darkness + if I hypothetically happen to change my mind about that + hypothetically die then well, I die. Wahayyyyyyyy. The name was Anon.
Reply 53
Original post by Anon_98
Pretty sure the sky is yellow.

Considering we've never even spoken before, you sound strangely certain.- Think you have me confused for another TSR-ian lmao.

You visited the entirety of Africa? So, you travelled to all 54 countries + from your mere 4 stays have concluded that the entire continent "isn't safe" or ...what? Well, okay. Anyway, I hypothetically won't be roaming in darkness + if I hypothetically happen to change my mind about that + hypothetically die then well, I die. Wahayyyyyyyy. The name was Anon.

Why else would you go to Africa?
Reply 54
Original post by Yua
Why else would you go to Africa?

Do you eat Pizza?

Are you Italian?

Not only Africans travel to Africa.

We've visited as a family in the past on a holiday so there's that possibility as to why non-natives would go but I used to really want to go to either Africa, Asia or South America during my gap year, less keen on the idea atm but my parent still thinks it'd be a valuable trip. After much talk, we decided on Africa since I don't know any Spanish + it was highly recommended to learn the language/essential when I expressed my interest to visit places like Peru, Chile etc on the basis that there are v few English speakers + it'd be apparently hard to get around without it. China was also going to be one of my areas of travel but is now out of the question bc I was going to visit with my parent but that's not possible. Anyway.
Reply 55
Original post by Anon_98
Do you eat Pizza?

Are you Italian?

Not only Africans travel to Africa.

We've visited as a family in the past on a holiday so there's that possibility as to why non-natives would go but I used to really want to go to either Africa, Asia or South America during my gap year, less keen on the idea atm but my parent still thinks it'd be a valuable trip. After much talk, we decided on Africa since I don't know any Spanish + it was highly recommended to learn the language/essential when I expressed my interest to visit places like Peru, Chile etc on the basis that there are v few English speakers + it'd be apparently hard to get around without it. China was also going to be one of my areas of travel but is now out of the question bc I was going to visit with my parent but that's not possible. Anyway.
after reading the first 2 lines I willingly retract from this conversation and refuse to read the rest of your response.
Reply 56
OP, are you me? I did creative writing, chem, maths and physics at AS. Got CEEE respectively. Dropped physics at A2, resat 2 maths exams and 2 chemistry exams.
AS results after resits: C (creative) D (maths) D (chem)
A2 overall grades: B (creative) E (maths) E (chem)
I somehow did worse in a chemistry resit (F321) than I did last year when I couldn't even define an ionic bond?????? Grade boundaries really effed me over in F324 too. (60% for an E?!)
I also wanted to study chemistry at university, missed my firm at Aston and am now enrolled in Wolverhampton. I had a really strong set of GCSE results that saved me. I'll probably have to do a masters degree at a better uni to give myself more credibility but I'm just happy to have a place at uni. Resitting wasn't an easy option for me, college didn't like to allow them, creative is being scrapped, my chemistry course has been updated to a new spec.

I feel we both bit off more than we could chew with all of our resits. Doing what I'm planning to do is an option for you, you could also look into foundation years. Even just resitting the exams you didn't do well on isn't a bad idea. The material will be easier for you to understand and will be consolidated next year. Or, as my chemistry tutor advised, take a year out. Work, get some money. Then the next year, pay to enroll on an access to HE science course. It's an intensive year long course. If you pass, your fee will be refunded. Then you can reapply to uni and it will put you at better stead.
Reply 57
Are you going to retake?

Check out my post above, it may help you. Don't be too down, hope is not all lost! I hope I can help in some way
Original post by Pudge666
Mate be proud , you took some hard academic subjects unlike half of tsr students who brag about their a* in subjects like breathing and cleaning tea pot

>'At least I did STEM!'
>'Well, yeah, I did get a U, but still! #stemmasterrace'

570172644.jpg
Reply 59
Original post by Reexox

I somehow did worse in a chemistry resit (F321) than I did last year when I couldn't even define an ionic bond?????? Grade boundaries really effed me over in F324 too. (60% for an E?!)

Uh, yeah. This happened to me too, but in Bio lmao.

Even just resitting the exams you didn't do well on isn't a bad idea. The material will be easier for you to understand and will be consolidated next year. Or, as my chemistry tutor advised, take a year out. Work, get some money. Then the next year, pay to enroll on an access to HE science course. It's an intensive year long course. If you pass, your fee will be refunded. Then you can reapply to uni and it will put you at better stead.

Do you know, I am reading all this fab advice but I don't know what to do with it bc I don't know what I want to do.

I have spent so much time thinking about this which has evidently proved to be futile bc it makes no sense but my mind is literally so blank yet so full + I just don't, like, know. I don't know. I was supposed to ring up a sixth form place yesterday to see if they'd let me enrol but I realised even though it'd be a different institution, I strongly dislike sixth form + I'd probably just end up not going + then low attendance would stress me out + I'd completely abandon everything + have a terrible time.

Resitting the same exams, like you say, would also be terrible bc I don't want to study at home. I quite like having a proper routine, even if I can't seem to keep to it. Plus, I will only be at most resitting two of my subjects which means I'd still have to most likely take up another one, I don't know. It'd be nice if someone could just make a decision on my behalf.

I don't know.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest