The Student Room Group

Sixth Form

As most of you know results day for GCSE students is in a couple of days and I can speak for the majority of us that we're sh**ting ourselves. No matter what results I get I still feel like I will be disappointed especially if I don't the the sufficient grades to get into the subject I want to do.

The point of this thread is to not only get help for myself, but others too that are beginning their A-levels soon. I want to achieve the best grades possible as I need very high grades to get into university (A*,A*,A*-A,A,A). If I get the grades I need to study the subject I want which consist of Further Mathematics, Physics and Computer Science, then I want to get the highest possible grade. I need some tips on how to hit the ground running as the new academic year begins. More information that you may want is that I will work part-time 10 hours a week, if you think that is too much time and I won't have enough time to keep up with the work them please inform me as I need to know. Any contributions to this thread will be great.
Thank you.
Original post by JustasB
As most of you know results day for GCSE students is in a couple of days and I can speak for the majority of us that we're sh**ting ourselves. No matter what results I get I still feel like I will be disappointed especially if I don't the the sufficient grades to get into the subject I want to do.

The point of this thread is to not only get help for myself, but others too that are beginning their A-levels soon. I want to achieve the best grades possible as I need very high grades to get into university (A*,A*,A*-A,A,A). If I get the grades I need to study the subject I want which consist of Further Mathematics, Physics and Computer Science, then I want to get the highest possible grade. I need some tips on how to hit the ground running as the new academic year begins. More information that you may want is that I will work part-time 10 hours a week, if you think that is too much time and I won't have enough time to keep up with the work them please inform me as I need to know. Any contributions to this thread will be great.
Thank you.

I really wish you all the best and I know that you will do very well due to noticing how motivated and how much you want this. However, you should always remember that if sadly something happens and you don't get the grades you want then that will not define your life or something...

However there is no need for that. Keep being positive and good luck! :wink::smile:
Reply 2
A-Levl tips
-When you do past papers make sure you happy with what you are getting and look to see an improvement over time. If not revise more and learn from your mistakes.

-Tick off the specification to make sure you've learnt everything and nothing should shock you.

-Try and be able to answer every question on all the past papers.. Aim for 100 so you get higher than if you aimed for like 80 or 90.

-Also once you go through past papers do questions from other papers (Solomon papers etc. Or other exam boards with the same topics) on every topic you learnt for a bit then go back to past papers when you've forgotten the answers.

-Try and do all past papers at least twice.

-Start revising from the beginning and go over what you learn in every lesson

-Go over every topic atleast 3 times

-Keep track of what you get on past papers and make sure you meet your target.

-On your second attempt on the past papers make sure you see an improvement from the first attempt and so on.

-Focus on your weaker subjects when you have got your important subjects to where you want.

-Ask the teacher for extra homework and questions.

-If there is something you don't know ask the teacher straight away, or write it down and ask at the end.

-Treat your mocks like the real thing

-Always do more than is required if you are aiming for the best (which you should be).

-Don't get frustrated if you don't get something, watch YouTube videos on it, ask your teacher then attempt some questions.

-Take your time and do not rush things, make sure you understand everything you are doing.

-it's better to understand how to do something than just know how to do it

Try and understand it and you will remember it easier.

-Never give up

-If you get bored take a break

-Don't neglect subjects

-Always think you will pass, think positively.

-Nothing is impossible, you can get straight As, if x can why can't you? Just work as hard as you need to

-What you put in, is what you get it.

-Make sure you pick right subjects, if you know what you want to do check the entry requirements.

-Find something to motivate you, dream career? Uni? Making parents proud?

-Try and want to revise, it shouldn't be something you have to do.

-Help others out if they need it, it reinforces your memory and maybe they'll help you in the future.

This is dragging so I'll end here. Hopefully you find this useful, and sorry if I repeat anything.

Good luck on your results.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Sgt.Golden
I really wish you all the best and I know that you will do very well due to noticing how motivated and how much you want this. However, you should always remember that if sadly something happens and you don't get the grades you want then that will not define your life or something...

However there is no need for that. Keep being positive and good luck! :wink::smile:

Thanks for the reply. I'll keep it in mind throughout life. Best of luck in whatever you are pursuing. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by AdeptDz
A-Levl tips
-When you do past papers make sure you happy with what you are getting and look to see an improvement over time. If not revise more and learn from your mistakes.

-Tick off the specification to make sure you've learnt everything and nothing should shock you.

-Try and be able to answer every question on all the past papers.. Aim for 100 so you get higher than if you aimed for like 80 or 90.

-Also once you go through past papers do questions from other papers (Solomon papers etc. Or other exam boards with the same topics) on every topic you learnt for a bit then go back to past papers when you've forgotten the answers.

-Try and do all past papers at least twice.

-Start revising from the beginning and go over what you learn in every lesson

-Go over every topic atleast 3 times

-Keep track of what you get on past papers and make sure you meet your target.

-On your second attempt on the past papers make sure you see an improvement from the first attempt and so on.

-Focus on your weaker subjects when you have got your important subjects to where you want.

-Ask the teacher for extra homework and questions.

-If there is something you don't know ask the teacher straight away, or write it down and ask at the end.

-Treat your mocks like the real thing

-Always do more than is required if you are aiming for the best (which you should be).

-Don't get frustrated if you don't get something, watch YouTube videos on it, ask your teacher then attempt some questions.

-Take your time and do not rush things, make sure you understand everything you are doing.

-it's better to understand how to do something than just know how to do it

Try and understand it and you will remember it easier.

-Never give up

-If you get bored take a break

-Don't neglect subjects

-Always think you will pass, think positively.

-Nothing is impossible, you can get straight As, if x can why can't you? Just work as hard as you need to

-What you put in, is what you get it.

-Make sure you pick right subjects, if you know what you want to do check the entry requirements.

-Find something to motivate you, dream career? Uni? Making parents proud?

-Try and want to revise, it shouldn't be something you have to do.

-Help others out if they need it, it reinforces your memory and maybe they'll help you in the future.

This is dragging so I'll end here. Hopefully you find this useful, and sorry if I repeat anything.

Good luck on your results.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for that. It truly helps, I will keep all of those points in mind. I hope the best in your future. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest