The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Princepieman
It's really not, there are non-RGs that wipe the floor with some RGs. And non-RGs that are equally extremely strong in certain areas vis-à-vis RG unis. I'd call it the most lazy response this thread has had yet.

I know I deleted it it but you were so dang fast with your quote! Also it was honest as they didn't sugar coat their answer like others have they just gave their straight up opinion.

Anyway, as I have mentioned in previous responses I think it's individual preference these days. Some people prefer academic standing others use location and league table in their decision. Its simple it's your choice to make whether it matters. A graduate is a graduate but you can't deny that some graduates are more desirable because of their educational institute.
(edited 7 years ago)
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by Kate122
I chose City over East Anglia and other uni's?

To some extent you have a great advantage if you go to certain Unis particularly Oxbridge and some of the top London Unis. I would say there are about ten where you would get varying advantages, then going down the scale the benefit becomes much less. Theres a whole raft of unis where its your degree grade that will matter more than which one you went to. You cna add experience, how you interview and extra currics on top of that.
Original post by L33t
I know I deleted it it but you were so dang fast with your quote! Also it was honest as they didn't sugar coat their answer like others have they just gave their straight up opinion.

Anyway, as I have mentioned in previous responses I think it's individual preference these days. Some people prefer academic standing others use location and league table in their decision. Its simple it's your choice to make whether it matters. A graduate is a graduate but you can't deny that some graduates are more desirable because of their educational institute.

Ofc, but that could be said for non conventionally 'top' universities. For example, people at BP (when I did a work placement there) raved about Heriot Watt grads and I believe it was one of the most represented (alongside Cam, Mancs, Imperial and Aberdeen) amongst the new grad engineers there. Likewise with people going to Reading to do anything with real estate get snatched up by all the big developers, commercial brokers etc.

So yes, in some cases the uni matters but in the vast majority of cases it doesn't.

You're right about individual perfornance too, that of course plays much more of a role and craps on the whole 'ceteris paribus' argument everyone lays out on this site when discussing university prestige.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
It mattered more to my mum than it did to me. But since I'm 29, I went with what suited me (travel, school runs etc).
Original post by Kate122
Isn't a degree a degree?....You can do bad at a good uni and do good at a bad uni.

This is incredibly naive.
If this was the case why should anyone even want to achieve A/A* at their a levels? We could all just go to London south bank and become rich. The 'good' universities hold a lot of respect and are much harder to get in to then the bottom end universities. Graduating from these unis will put you at an advantage than those at the bottom end and for a good reason - they worked a lot harder to get to where they were.
Having said this it isn't that bad but it is definitely the case that going to a good uni is better in the long run.
And before anyone says anything I am not crazy smart nor do I go to a crazy good uni, i got BBB at A level and go to Queen Mary both of which are very non-elite
Reply 45
Original post by Princepieman
Ofc, but that could be said for non conventionally 'top' universities. For example, people at BP (when I did a work placement there) raved about Heriot Watt grads and I believe it was one of the most represented (alongside Cam, Mancs, Imperial and Aberdeen) amongst the new grad engineers there. Likewise with people going to Reading to do anything with real estate get snatched up by all the big developers, commercial brokers etc.

So yes, in some cases the uni matters but in the vast majority of cases it doesn't.

You're right about individual perfornance too, that of course plays much more of a role and craps on the whole 'ceteris paribus' argument everyone lays out on this site when discussing university prestige.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not some kind of elitist snob, I never disrespect anyone's degree as they would have worked very hard for it. I will be doing nursing at uni which everyone never thinks is (as of 2013) a completely degree level career. People pester me and wind me up for that all the time (especially because i'm male), but when I tell them what uni I go to they have more respect for me- I dunno why. For many people it does matter. For me, more discrimination comes from what I actually study at uni not from which uni I go to!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by NotYaboy

Hey, if you must laugh - don't laugh at the middleman. Laugh at the people who actually did it.
Well that's a very difficult question to answer because it is dependent on a multitude of factors. But overall, I'd say it does matter to an extent since some employers favour applicants from specific universities. But there is nothing wrong with choosing a "less prestigious" university for your undergraduate degree because you're going to be there for three years and you want to be happy at your chosen university. Also, you can always do your masters at a more "prestigious" university, if you wish to in the future.
Reply 48
Original post by Ignorant
This is incredibly naive.
If this was the case why should anyone even want to achieve A/A* at their a levels? We could all just go to London south bank and become rich. The 'good' universities hold a lot of respect and are much harder to get in to then the bottom end universities. Graduating from these unis will put you at an advantage than those at the bottom end and for a good reason - they worked a lot harder to get to where they were.
Having said this it isn't that bad but it is definitely the case that going to a good uni is better in the long run.
And before anyone says anything I am not crazy smart nor do I go to a crazy good uni, i got BBB at A level and go to Queen Mary both of which are very non-elite

You're actually right, my opinions have totally changed from gathering other people's views on this question. I've had the opportunity to go to a great university and even though I didn't choose one of those uni's (e.g Uni' of Southampton) under my circumstances there wasn't much I could do.....I'm still pretty much grateful for my place at City. ❤️😊
Original post by BirdIsWord
As long as its Russel Group, its good. Anything else is a no-go tbh

st andrews? bath?
just leave the guy to bask in his ignorance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
What do you think of places like Nottinghamm Trent, Cov, DMU (specifically for business etc)?
Original post by dmy15
What do you think of places like Nottinghamm Trent, Cov, DMU (specifically for business etc)?

They're not horrific, in fact Coventry and NTU are on the up, but they're not top top either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 53
Im stuck on this too I don't know whther to move from Bath Spa to Swansea University? Will it make a difference?
Original post by Unii123
Im stuck on this too I don't know whther to move from Bath Spa to Swansea University? Will it make a difference?

Hi Unii123,

Of course we'd say being an RG university doesn't matter, but would you like any advice on this from our perspective? If you let me know the course you're looking at transferring to I can certainly pull together information for you regarding our strengths and what we can offer, to show exactly why we think you don't need to go to an RG uni!

Jamie
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 55
Yes please so I am studying geography
Original post by Swansea University Enquiries
Hi Unii123,

Of course we'd say being an RG university doesn't matter, but would you like any advice on this from our perspective? If you let me know the course you're looking at transferring to I can certainly pull together information for you regarding our strengths and what we can offer, to show exactly why we think you don't need to go to an RG uni!

Jamie
I know which one you're talking about. You should ask Doonesbury because last time I saw it, it was posted by them.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Unii123
Yes please so I am studying geography

As mentioned in the previous posts there are definitely pros and cons for attending RG universities!

However, what should be most important to you is finding a university that a) has a course that suits and interests you, b) has a location that you would be happy to live in for 3 4 years, c) gives you a good feeling when you visit and d) somewhere where you feel like an actual person and not just a number!

With that in mind, Swansea Geography is a small, thriving and friendly department with an excellent staff:student ratio. We offer courses in human geography, physical geography and geology with a choice of field trips to New York, Vancouver, Berlin, Mallorca and Borneo as well as local trips to the Brecon Beacons, the Gower Peninsula and Pembrokeshire. Our staff are involved in high quality research which is included into your teaching, for example on climate change, glaciology, migration, economics and volcanology!

Ok, so we’re not as vibrant and metropolitan a city as somewhere like London. Harsh but fair. But Swansea is a small, very friendly place, our campuses are literally metres from the beach and our students fell wanted and welcome. If you wanted to come and visit us to get a feel for the place, we’ve an open day in June, or get in touch and we can arrange a visit whenever you’re free!

If you’d like to get a feel for the department and what we do, why not follow our Instagram account @swansea_geography ?

Hope to see you soon!

Rhian
Original post by Kate122
I chose City over East Anglia and other uni's?

you need to remember that not all top 35 unis have very specific degrees
its about the experience (e.g. societies, friends, work placement you get, cv building)

Latest

Trending

Trending