The Student Room Group

Re-taking A-levels

Unfortunately, my a-level results were really bad, I got three D's I can't say it was unexpected but I am still really disappointed I have been offered a place at Goldsmiths to do PPE and at Greenwich to do history and politics, but I feel like I could get much better grades and I don't like that I'm really limited with choices, I have a meeting next week to see if I'm eligible for re-sitting in my current college, but I have a feeling they won't allow me, does anyone have any advice on what I should do next or if I can retake anywhere else where I don't have to pay. Thank you
Hi, I'm so sorry your results didn't go to plan. I'm no expert on this but I expect that you may well have to pay to resit no matter what, although if that is what you decide to do I do hope you can find somewhere to do it for free. If your offers from the two unis give you the time, I'd wait until your meeting to make any decisions. I think a major thing to consider is why you feel that way about your grades. Obviously I know its heatbreaking, but if you'd be happy at the unis, its important to remember that once you are at uni your actual grades at a level won't matter that much. My dad likes to remind us all that he got Es in some of his GCSEs and A levels, but he was really happy with his degree and job and has now retired early. Low grades won't stop you living your life. If however, you don't think you'd be happy at those unis, resits might be worth it. Other options could include foundation years which could let you get the support to move onto a degree you want at a different uni next year. I really wish I could be of more help, but hopefully your college will be able to advise you next week. I hope that helps you figure out where your at a little bit, and at the very least brings attention to this thread from someone who will be able to help you a bit better. Best of luck xxx

Quick Reply

Latest