The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Interesting perspective... Where are you hoping to do PPE/ Pol and Econ?
Original post by Underscore__
What did you study out of interest?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I began with law and then transferred to politics
English degrees, it seems like it's the degree to do if you don't really have an idea what you want to do with your life but still want the Uni experience.
Original post by KatieBlogger
I'll see your Economics and raise you PPE.

Never a met a single PPE student who isn't a complete snob who thinks they're on a ticket to be a politician, without any other life experience.

I'm pretty certain that applications for PPE are based solely on imagined prestige rather than any interest or understanding of the course.

This hurts :frown:
I'd say maths I mean its difficult to get a job after it unless you have good experience and internships. A lot of people seem to think you get a high flying job in it instantly it can take quite a long time.
Reply 165
How has no one mentioned liberal arts?! Its suddenly become the "fashionable" degree to be reading.. for no explainable reason!
Original post by whydoidothis?
That feel when your starting a PPE degree soon.

Lmao me too, what uni?
Anything with "studies" at the end.
Original post by Wattsy
Law grad here from a middling uni and Law is probably the correct answer. Everyone thinks you're really clever but hardly anyone gets a training contract. Half of the time you need a law degree to get a non-graduate law job to give you the experience to get a training contract so while there is money to be made from law it is, for most people who pursue law, a very long term process. The over saturation is so bad that I've seen legal apprenticeships at the £6.70 per hour apprentice minimum wage for law graduates with LLB and LPC qualifications.

Apprentice minimum wage is £3.30. If requiring a degree doesn't make a job a graduate level job, what does?

It's difficult to any good job without going to a top tier university. Why does people not continuing into law show that the degree is overrated?

Original post by sleepysnooze
I began with law and then transferred to politics

Says a lot really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Even though I aspire to do it, it's medicine for me. It seems as if everyone that takes it is touted as a genius and that you're an automatic success in life. I'm intrigued as to why physics/chemistry don't get the same level as respect, because they seem to be much harder. I mean, from some of my taster days, medicine seems like A Level Biology on steroids; there's excessive memorisation in every topic!

Not sure how doing the course specific to becoming a doctor is overrated. We need more doctors and thats the route to take.
Says a lot really.

yeah, and what's that supposed to mean?
Medicine, Maths/Engineering and Law... I can't stand the reaction students who study this gets when they reveal it. It's usually "Omg, you must be so clever!" It degrades every other degree.
Original post by sabana
I'd say maths I mean its difficult to get a job after it unless you have good experience and internships. A lot of people seem to think you get a high flying job in it instantly it can take quite a long time.

Can I ask if this is from experience or just what you've been told?
Original post by SalazarSlytherin
medicine easily

who the **** wants to examine penises for a living

Rolf Harris.
Reply 174
Classics and History of Art...
[QUOTE="sleepysnooze;67193918"]

yeah, and what's that supposed to mean?

You tried to study law, changed to an easier subject and now think law is overrated, I can smell the lemons from here

Posted from TSR Mobile

You tried to study law, changed to an easier subject and now think law is overrated, I can smell the lemons from here

Posted from TSR Mobile

it wasn't harder - I actually got the same grades in my first year of it as I did in my first year of politics. I just hated it and its course content. it was an awful, grey, bland, pointless time. but here you are, probably somebody who *did* study or continue to study law and thinks that their degree is nothing less than perfection. I've met way too many people like you. people who think that studying a non-sensical, contradictory collection of vague principles and rules makes them intelligent. at least, of course, that would apply if you *did* study law, with your typical response in mind obviously.
most overrated- law,psychology, biology, history and PPE
most underrated- geography,physics, geology, chemistry, economics
Original post by Princepieman
yh, but an MBA is basically just a career reset button or a 1-2 year networking sesh, everyone knows this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mind elaborating?
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
But do you think medicine still deserves all the praise it gets? I'm sure as a physics graduate you know how underlrated it is by friends, family public etc.

No, most medical graduates going into their first jobs are terrified of pretty much everything they do. It takes years after graduating before you're a really competent doctor. The Medical degree itself is just the first step along the way. It's a tough course with a high failure rate, so passing is certainly an achievement, but those that get through are still ultimately baby doctors. Hardly worthy of thinking themselves exceptional.

That said, I've met plenty of Physics graduates who DO think they're intellectually superior, purely by virtue of the degree they hold. Personally I have about the same amount of respect for both fields*

Latest

Trending

Trending