The Student Room Group

First Driving Lesson

I have my first driving lesson tomorrow at 10AM!

I'm really nervous and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice beforehand? Thanks :smile:
My advice would be to try to stay calm, and listen to everything your instructor says. If you don't understand something, ask them to repeat it and explain it again for you, they won't mind! For most of my first lesson, my instructor went over the basics of controlling the car using diagrams and images, then we practiced moving off and stopping, and changing up to second gear. You won't be doing anything really complicated at first, and your instructor can stop/take control if you go wrong or do something you shouldn't, so don't worry about that!

I have my practical driving test tomorrow, so I'm also feeling the nerves at the moment :tongue:
Reply 2
Don't crash :tongue:
Original post by Leviathan1741
My advice would be to try to stay calm, and listen to everything your instructor says. If you don't understand something, ask them to repeat it and explain it again for you, they won't mind! For most of my first lesson, my instructor went over the basics of controlling the car using diagrams and images, then we practiced moving off and stopping, and changing up to second gear. You won't be doing anything really complicated at first, and your instructor can stop/take control if you go wrong or do something you shouldn't, so don't worry about that!

I have my practical driving test tomorrow, so I'm also feeling the nerves at the moment :tongue:

Good luck for tomorrow, it'll be fine!!!

OP, also just try and enjoy the start of the journey to freedom!
Original post by Leviathan1741

Good luck and thanks for the advice!

Original post by UWS
Don't crash :tongue:

I'll try not to

Original post by mobbsy91
OP, also just try and enjoy the start of the journey to freedom!

I'm going to - needed it for so long. Fingers crossed my mum doesn't ask me for a lift to work everyday when I pass though!
Original post by mobbsy91
Good luck for tomorrow, it'll be fine!!!

Thank you! :h:
Original post by Muttski

I'm really nervous and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice beforehand? Thanks :smile:

Original post by Muttski
Good luck and thanks for the advice!

I'll try not to

I'm going to - needed it for so long. Fingers crossed my mum doesn't ask me for a lift to work everyday when I pass though!

Don't have a drink beforehand for Deutsch courage because you might get breath tested.
Original post by Muttski

Relax.. your instructor is the captain, not you. They are responsible, not you
Original post by Muttski

How was it?
Original post by cherryred90s
How was it?

He had to cancel. He's been quite unwell but that's no problem. He's going to phone me next week.
Original post by Muttski
He had to cancel. He's been quite unwell but that's no problem. He's going to phone me next week.

Oh, well I had my first lesson almost 2weeks ago and it was fine. Since then, I'll have done 10hrs by the end of today. Like others said, you just learn about the general controls of the car and you'll do some stopping and starting. You're doing manual right?
Original post by cherryred90s
Oh, well I had my first lesson almost 2weeks ago and it was fine. Since then, I'll have done 10hrs by the end of today. Like others said, you just learn about the general controls of the car and you'll do some stopping and starting. You're doing manual right?

Yeah I'll be learning in a manual. Automatics seem the easy option haha!
Had my 10th hour today, I stalled at a traffic light twice :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending