The Student Room Group

Is physics A level actually that hard?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Palette
I think I'd enjoy A Level physics with more mathematics; this is an A Level textbook from 1970 which has lots of calculus:

https://archive.org/details/AdvancedLevelPhysics
It makes the concepts more intuitive and less spoon-fed.

Can I buy this textbook?
Physics is generally a difficult A level, but if you use TSR as a sample then you're going to get some pretty skewed results. In short, it's doable for bright students, less doable for your average student.

Then again there are some A levels where a broader range of students enrol, but even the top students struggle to get an A*, like English. You can work as hard as you possibly can and receive the best possible teaching and then get screwed over by some harsh marking. This sort of thing never happens in maths or physics.
Reply 62
Certainly maths is very susceptible to hard work for someone with an average or above average IQ.
Unless they have dyscalcula, or however it is spelled, I suppose.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Certainly maths is very susceptible to hard work for someone with an average or above average IQ.
Unless they have dyscalcula, or however it is spelled, I suppose.

That's easy for you to say :tongue:
Working hard can help you ingrain the concepts once you understand them but you need a high IQ to be able to understand the concepts in maths in the first place
Reply 64
I doubt it.
I certainly found it harder than Maths and Further Maths and only scraped an a*. Then again, I didn't work that hard. I dunno if exam board has anything to do with it but it was hard to prepare for the exams, and the ones we had were very weird.

Did you do 3 or 4 A Levels?
Reply 66
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
Did you do 3 or 4 A Levels?

I did four
Original post by randomteenx
I'm going to be choosing my a levels soon and im undecided on whether to do physics.

I think I'm pretty good at physics, I'm one of the best in my class and got A* for my year 10 mocks and expected A* for my actual exams. It's just one of those subjects I find easy.

But I also find it a bit boring, the only part I actually really love is when we study space etc. And that's the only thing that keeps me loving physics.

So I don't know if I should take it for a level. I've heard people say it's super easy but others say it's one of the hardest a levels?

I hate maths and although I'm okay at it, I don't know if I'm nearly good enough to do a level.

it's pretty fcking hard to get an A* in - I got an A.

you need to be good at maths to do well in it, if you don't enjoy maths that will hinder you. Also there's hardly any astro stuff - the circuit things may bore you to death

its a great subject, i think you'd be fine and do quite well
(edited 7 years ago)
An easy 6 mark question (not full question but summed up) at A2: design a practical experiment to find the value of absolute zero in centigrade using standard lab equipment. Nuff said
Original post by Zacken
lol @ maths and further maths being hard. They're so easy that top universities need other tests to differentiate candidates for maths degrees.

Is this bait?

Did you read over what you said before submitting your reply? If that's your reasoning then good lord
Reply 70
Original post by lucabrasi98
Is this bait?

Did you read over what you said before submitting your reply? If that's your reasoning then good lord

It's true.
Original post by mik1a
It's true.

"This subject is easy because the best universities in the country have entry exams for it" - Essentially you and that other guy.

That's such a ridiculous thing to say. And that's coming from someone whose best A level subject was maths. It's the easiest subject to revise for. But I wouldn't call it an easy subject in general. Have you seen pass rates for maths at A*/A rates at GCSE
Reply 72
Is this bait?

Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, Warwick and now Durham all have extra admissions tests to try to ascertain if people have the required mathematical ability for the course. Other universities like Bristol and Bath strongly advocate taking some of these tests and may allow a slightly weaker set of A levels in addition to a good grade in one of said tests. Evidently A*A* in Maths/Further Maths is not sufficient to display the skills required on a difficult Maths course.
(Well, it depends on how you class difficult of course)
think it's all dependent on the person and your work ethic. If you love maths then physics A level will be great. It does change a lot from GCSE though just for the fact that there's a LOT more maths in it, or at least there was in the WJEC syllabus I studied. However if you think you can keep on top of the workload I would do it as it is a very respected A level to have.
Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, Warwick and now Durham all have extra admissions tests to try to ascertain if people have the required mathematical ability for the course. Other universities like Bristol and Bath strongly advocate taking some of these tests and may allow a slightly weaker set of A levels in addition to a good grade in one of said tests. Evidently A*A* in Maths/Further Maths is not sufficient to display the skills required on a difficult Maths course.
(Well, it depends on how you class difficult of course)

70 universities in the UK allow you to take maths. You've listed 7 wanting other examination. Meaning there are 63 that will allow you to take their course without extra examination. There's probably a few more you forgot that require pre exams but my point stands. And at the end of the day these will all lead to the same degree qualification. Even B grade knowledge is enough to get you through a maths course at some unis.

I just meant that saying some unis require entry exams as reasoning for claiming it's easy at A level doesn't make any sense.

Top Universities have extra examinations because they have higher standards and have higher competition. Not because A level maths is easy. It would be silly of them to simply want A*A*A and nothing more. STEP exams are there to show between the best candidates.

Additional maths knowledge needed to survive the degree will obviously be taught to you during the degree itself.
Reply 75
"This subject is easy because the best universities in the country have entry exams for it" - Essentially you and that other guy.

That's such a ridiculous thing to say. And that's coming from someone whose best A level subject was maths. It's the easiest subject to revise for. But I wouldn't call it an easy subject in general. Have you seen pass rates for maths at A*/A rates at GCSE

It's easy for a hard worker to get 100% in the maths modules. They test rote learning. That is clearly not good enough to differentiate.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Advanced-Level-Physics-M-Nelkon/dp/B00178B5I0

For aspiring physicists/engineers who are applying to top universities, the book 'Scholarship Physics', also by Nelkon and Parker (though I haven't read it) is recommended though it assumes a 'solid understanding of A level mathematics'.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scholarship-Physics-Michael-Nelkon/dp/0435686461

Here is a 'sneak peek' at that book below. You can actually view most of the parts of the pages that happen to not be part of the free preview.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/257668964/Michael-Nelkon-Scholarship-Physics-BookZa-org
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Palette
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Advanced-Level-Physics-M-Nelkon/dp/B00178B5I0

For aspiring physicists/engineers who are applying to top universities, the book 'Scholarship Physics', also by Nelkon and Parker (though I haven't read it) is recommended though it assumes a 'solid understanding of A level mathematics'.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scholarship-Physics-Michael-Nelkon/dp/0435686461

Here is a 'sneak peek' at that book below. You can actually view most of the parts of the pages that happen to not be part of the free preview.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/257668964/Michael-Nelkon-Scholarship-Physics-BookZa-org

Those books are soooo mine... :colone:
Reply 78
Physics AS is a piece of cake, no excuse not to get a B. Physics A2 on the other hand is a completely different ball game.

The maths side is simple enough - you just have to have that mathematical mind-set, thinking logically through questions. imo, the issue with Physics A2 is that you can't be a lazy student; it will take up all of your time, I guarantee it. I ended up with a C overall, got an A in AS and I-don't-even-know in A2. In the ISA I got a C and in unit 5 I got a high D (not very good at radioactivity) and in unit 4 I got a D also. Just not in the multiple choice. I scored 5/25 in the multiple choice. It's horrific.
So with the multiple choice you face a fork in the road, either focus shitloads of your revision time (~60%) memorising and practising or don't and fail. With the U from the multiple choice, I got a (high) U overall in unit 4. Unless your preferred degree needs Physics, do a different subject (ie: Chemistry, Maths etc.)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by tomlam
Physics AS is a piece of cake, no excuse not to get a B. Physics A2 on the other hand is a completely different ball game.

The maths side is simple enough - you just have to have that mathematical mind-set, thinking logically through questions. imo, the issue with Physics A2 is that you can't be a lazy student; it will take up all of your time, I guarantee it. I ended up with a C overall, got an A in AS and I-don't-even-know in A2. In the ISA I got a C and in unit 5 I got a high D (not very good at radioactivity) and in unit 4 I got a D also. Just not in the multiple choice. I scored 5/25 in the multiple choice. It's horrific.
So with the multiple choice you face a fork in the road, either focus shitloads of your revision time (~60%) memorising and practising or don't and fail. With the U from the multiple choice, I got a (high) U overall in unit 4. Unless your preferred degree needs Physics, do a different subject (ie: Chemistry, Maths etc.)

Holy s****

Good thing ISAs aren't a thing anymore and there is more emphasis on multiple choice.

Quick Reply

Latest