The Student Room Group

Anyone ever received the wrong exam grade?

Hey everyone :smile:

Yesterday I got my gcse grades and in english literature I was given a B.This is very surprising for me as english has always been my best subject- I was predicted an A* and have never got below 95% in any of the mocks or essays i’ve done. Before the results I had also been given an english scholarship for sixth form and had intended to study it at a good university.

I am incredibly disappointed and very confused. This doesn’t seem right in the context of my past performance or any of my other results (I got my predicted A* in English language for example which is apparently much tougher on my board.) I didn’t notice this exam to be any different to my other ones and i prepared thoroughly for it as English is such an important subject to me. What i’m wondering is if it is worth requesting a remark or if it’s too risky? (I would be devastated with a C) Could there even have been an error adding up my grade?Do i have the wrong result?

I understand a remark could go down as well as up and I normally wouldn’t consider it but this does seem incredibly strange to me and my teachers. Any advice would be much appreciated and i hope everyone got the results they wanted :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by matt295312

Yesterday I got my gcse grades and in english literature I was given a B.This is very surprising for me as english has always been my best subject- I was predicted an A* and have never got below 95% in any of the mocks or essays i’ve done. Before the results I had also been given an english scholarship for sixth form and had intended to study it at a good university.

I am incredibly disappointed and very confused. This doesn’t seem right in the context of my past performance or any of my other results (I got my predicted A* in English language for example which is apparently much tougher on my board.) I didn’t notice this exam to be any different to my other ones and i prepared thoroughly for it as English is such an important subject to me. What i’m wondering is if it is worth requesting a remark or if it’s too risky? (I would be devastated with a C) Could there even have been an error adding up my grade?Do i have the wrong result?

I understand a remark could go down as well as up and I normally wouldn’t consider it but this does seem incredibly strange to me and my teachers. Any advice would be much appreciated and i hope everyone got the results they wanted :smile:

Perhaps ask for a copy of your script (not the original) from the exam board and let a teacher mark it for you. If they give a mark considerably higher than what your actual result says then request a remark

Posted from TSR Mobile
Omg! Me too. Normally when I do essays I get B's and A's. This time I got C :/ it just doesn't seem right but in my mock I got D ( cos I didn't revised). Do you think they based it on my mock grade? So confused

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by 98matt
Perhaps ask for a copy of your script (not the original) from the exam board and let a teacher mark it for you. If they give a mark considerably higher than what your actual result says then request a remark

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you get a script you cannot then get it remarked, just to let you know.
Reply 4
Original post by ElisaK
If you get a script you cannot then get it remarked, just to let you know.

I thought if you requested a copy, not the original, then you can still get the original remarked? This is the case for A levels as I know people who have done it, are GCSEs different?
Original post by 98matt
I thought if you requested a copy, not the original, then you can still get the original remarked? This is the case for A levels as I know people who have done it, are GCSEs different?

Problem with that is I believe it arrives after the remark deadline
Reply 6

The exact same happened to me last year my friend. I got almost full marks in the mocks and when results day came I got a B rather than an A*. It was most likely due to a bad day when taking the exam that led to me getting a lower grade. Maybe you over complicated your answers or misinterpreted the question. It is very rare to have been given the wrong grade. Just think positively about how amazing your A* grade in English Language is and ignore the B!
Reply 7
Original post by 98matt

This is only possible at GCSE if the exam is with Edexcel.
Reply 8
Thank you for replying everyone! I'll talk to the school about the script and see what they think before doing anything but thank you for the warnings I'll keep them in mind :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by metaljoe
The exact same happened to me last year my friend. I got almost full marks in the mocks and when results day came I got a B rather than an A*. It was most likely due to a bad day when taking the exam that led to me getting a lower grade. Maybe you over complicated your answers or misinterpreted the question. It is very rare to have been given the wrong grade. Just think positively about how amazing your A* grade in English Language is and ignore the B!

Thank you for the positivity that's very reassuring. You're right i shouldn't let it cloud the other grades!
Reply 10
Original post by bikiniikilll
Omg! Me too. Normally when I do essays I get B's and A's. This time I got C :/ it just doesn't seem right but in my mock I got D ( cos I didn't revised). Do you think they based it on my mock grade? So confused

Posted from TSR Mobile

:s-smilie: sorry about that it is very strange, I hope you get it sorted :smile:
Original post by bikiniikilll
Normally when I do essays I get B's and A's. This time I got C :/ it just doesn't seem right but in my mock I got D ( cos I didn't revised). Do you think they based it on my mock grade? So confused

They have absolutely no way of knowing your mock grade.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by LDS16
I got a B in English Lang and Sociology instead of A*s :frown:
However I got A*s In things like Chemistry and Biology- I'm focusing on the positives, you should try to do so too :smile:

You're right! Well done for your sciences those are brilliant results :smile:
I actually received the wrong grade in GCSE maths, on results day I was told that I received an A but a year later just before the next year's GCSE results day I received a phone call from my old high school. Apparently there was a system error and was awarded an A* with a letter of apology from OCR
(edited 7 years ago)
Mine and my Friends Arabic paper got swapped
i got an A* and she got a U
i feel soo bad
Reply 15
Original post by Lucasium
I actually received the wrong grade in GCSE maths, on results day I was told that I received an A but a year later just before the next year's GCSE results day I received a phone call from my old high school. Apparently there was a system error and was awarded an A* with a letter of apology from OCR

That's very interesting :curious: I'll see what happens
There was a huge mix-up in my GCSE Geography grade.

My A* mark of 55 in the coursework was sent off and AQA marked it down as a B grade. I emailed my teacher about it, and he said that it is quite possible that AQA have messed it up, and he is sending everyone's exams off for a remark as loads of people have questioned him about it.

I say you ask your teacher, see what they can do, and go from there.

For the record, I got a B in my iGCSE English Language, when I was predicted an A*. We're all unlucky people.
That's very interesting :curious: I'll see what happens

A year later?! That's really something!
My results I got on Thursday for GCSE showed that for Edexcel Chinese I got a B. It said I got B in the listening exam, A in the speaking exams, A* in the reading exam and D in the Writing exam.

Now, the writing isn't possible. It said I got 50 UMS (32/60), when in class, I got 49/60 (I had 2 writing exams, each one out of 30..I got 24 on the first one and 25 on the second one - according to my teachers)!

Contacted my school asking wtf happened...needa ask them to change it...Edexcel!!! Also want an apology letter like @Lucasium did for OCR.
^ .. 49/60 for Edexcel Chinese GCSE is A*, so my overall grade would be A.

Quick Reply

Latest