The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Biology degree without Maths a level

Hi,
I know that most of Biology degrees don't ask for an A Level in Maths as a requisite but, in practical terms, will you be in a real disadvantage if you start the Biology course and the last time you had masths was for your GCSE exam? I'd be grateful if some current Biology student (or graduate) sincerely replies to this, because my niece is about to start Year 13 in the Sixth Form and a friend has recommended her to do a AS in Maths for, at least, to refresh the maths skills. Do you agree with this? My niece is doing A Levels in Chemistry, Biology, Geography and Psychology (probably will drop one of these) and she is not very interested in Maths but, on the other hand, she loves Biology so I wouldn't want her to have a big problem with Maths after starting the uni.
Please help us with your advice!
Helen
Reply 1
You definitely don't need maths for biology at Exeter. I take biochem and the last year I did maths was GCSE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Original post by vlb206
You definitely don't need maths for biology at Exeter. I take biochem and the last year I did maths was GCSE.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your feedback..!
Reply 3
Original post by HelenCP
Hi,
I know that most of Biology degrees don't ask for an A Level in Maths as a requisite but, in practical terms, will you be in a real disadvantage if you start the Biology course and the last time you had masths was for your GCSE exam? I'd be grateful if some current Biology student (or graduate) sincerely replies to this, because my niece is about to start Year 13 in the Sixth Form and a friend has recommended her to do a AS in Maths for, at least, to refresh the maths skills. Do you agree with this? My niece is doing A Levels in Chemistry, Biology, Geography and Psychology (probably will drop one of these) and she is not very interested in Maths but, on the other hand, she loves Biology so I wouldn't want her to have a big problem with Maths after starting the uni.
Please help us with your advice!
Helen

I was always bad at maths, and hadn't done it since GCSE level in 2002 when I started my biology degree in 2011. I was fine. The little bits of maths we needed were easy enough to learn.
Reply 4
Original post by novyi
I was always bad at maths, and hadn't done it since GCSE level in 2002 when I started my biology degree in 2011. I was fine. The little bits of maths we needed were easy enough to learn.

Thank you for your feedback!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending