The Student Room Group

Urgent a level choices help needed!!!!

I'm about to start year 12 and after getting my GCSE results on Thursday, I'm in a bit of a dilemma!! I actually managed to get 12 A*s including an A^/A** in further maths (in complete shock!!!) which is where the problem lies... Should I do further maths as a fifth A level (probably only for AS, or if I drop English at AS up to A level)? I am set on doing medicine at uni and am definitely taking chemistry, biology, maths and English next year I just don't know what to do about further maths? Would top unis like Oxbridge and UCL etc be more likely to give me an interview with further maths as a fifth AS/ A level? Or is there literally no point? I'm also worried about whether I will have enough time for everything as I am also working towards grade 8 violin, involved in lots of orchestras, doing gold d of e, will start volunteering for medicine soon and have a part time job?!Does anyone have any advice? I have to email school by the 31st:/
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tea2345
I'm about to start year 12 and after getting my GCSE results on Thursday, I'm in a bit of a dilemma!! I actually managed to get 12 A*s including an A^/A** in further maths (in complete shock!!!) which is where the problem lies... Should I do further maths as a fifth A level (probably only for AS, or if I drop English at AS up to A level)? I am set on doing medicine at uni and am definitely taking chemistry, biology, maths and English next year I just don't know what to do about further maths? Would top unis like Oxbridge and UCL etc be more likely to give me an interview with further maths as a fifth AS/ A level? Or is there literally no point? I'm also worried about whether I will have enough time for everything as I am also working towards grade 8 violin, involved in lots of orchestras, doing gold d of e, will start volunteering for medicine soon and have a part time job?!Does anyone have any advice? I have to email school by the 31st:/

Hi! Firstly, congrats on those results, they're amazing. Honestly, I wouldn't go for it if I were you. You'll have considerably less free periods and your workload would most likely be way too much. Moreover, you could always do other things that would get you UCAS points such as an EPQ which can get you 70 ucas points, However, I'm pretty sure that you could always try it out, and if it's too much, just drop the subject?
Those results are beyond amazing, I've just finished AS and did pretty well, but didn't get GCSE results as good as that. GCSEs don't determine everything, but honestly with those grades its clear you have the capability of doing 5. People at my school who did 5 found the workload to be fine, and remember further maths is just doing additional, slightly harder maths so shouldn't affect other subjects too much, but others may disagree or have different experiences. Can't speak on behalf of English, but I found Biology and Chemistry a moderate workload IMP. You could always try Further and then if it's too much work, or you're not enjoying it, just drop it, no harm done. Also, having Further Maths would be an advantage when it comes to applying to medicine, especially at top Unis. But, it's your choice if you don't think its a good idea or you don't want to do it, don't bother. Just don't let others completely persuade you into doing it or not, take advice and make your own decision. Hope I could help
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tea2345
Thank you so much! This was really helpful :smile: still not sure to be honest on what to do, I am worried that by doing 5 it will potentially make the grades of my other 4 subjects drop which obviously can't happen if I want to do medicine! I'm good at maths, I just feel like my result was a bit of a fluke and I'm doubting my ability in being able to do further maths next year and get an A !

You make a good point, to be honest the subjects you've got already make you a strong applicant for medicine, the further maths is just a bonus. If you're not going to have any frees, I would advise against doing it, couldn't survive without my frees. Obviously, medicine does require top grades, with all/most subjects ideally being As so if doing 5 could jeopardise them, which it could, there's no point in doing it. If you're not interested or simply think it'll be too much, don't bother . It's not going to make a huge difference, but don't doubt your ability. Getting an A* in Maths and then getting an A^ in Further GCSE clearly shows you're one of the most capable people to do both. On the other hand, if you force yourself upon it, it may make it worse. Just go with what you think is best.

Quick Reply

Latest