The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pentaquark
Doing well in them? Ah I have no common sense lol
I hope I don't do too badly in the TSA :redface:
My placement was basically me researching about how a scanning tunnelling microscope works and coming up with activities for the general public to help them understand it lol. Quite hard to integrate that into my ps I must admit.
My ps sounds like I want to do physics instead of chemistry oh dear.:colondollar:

I'm doing spectacularly averagely hahah I really need to work on time management it feels like you have lots of time but it's so easy to start really over thinking a question and spend ages on it!!

Oooh that does sound pretty cool actually, where did you do it?? Aahah I take it you were an aspiring physicist at one point??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AsmaaMahamud97
Yooo people, anyone else applying for Philosophy + Spanish? I do Lit, Econ, RS + Spanish.

Hey, i just finished reading Spanish at Oxford so if you have any questions let me know! I also know people who did Philosophy and a language so if you have any specific questions about that I can pass you on!
Original post by Mystery.
Anyone applying for maths??
How's the MAT prep going?

Maths & Phil applicant here! I spent almost all of August doing MAT prep because I'm not familiar with the A-level syllabus but honestly I am finding the papers so difficilt. Just going to keep steadily working now since I'm back at school and just pray that something will click for me! What about you? How much time a week do you reckon is good to spend on preparation?
Original post by AsmaaMahamud97
You're certainly not. Which course are you interested in??b?

Maths and Philosophy! What about yourself?
Original post by such_a_lady
Hey, i just finished reading Spanish at Oxford so if you have any questions let me know! I also know people who did Philosophy and a language so if you have any specific questions about that I can pass you on!

That sounds amazing. How did you find the languages test? And which piece of writing did you choose to send? Also, for the Phil + Lang people, is the degree roughly 50/50? Where did you go for your year abroad? Wow, so many questions... Sorry :/ and thanks!!
Original post by QueenOfCaffeine
Maths and Philosophy! What about yourself?

Phil + Spanish, have you written your ps already?
Just wondering how the English lit. (if any?) applicants are doing with their Personal statements?
Lately it hits me every once in a while that I still have to complete mine and oh boy, that is not helping my anxiety.
Which A Levels are you doing? Maths, Further Maths, Physics.
Which course do you plan to apply for? Physics!
Do any particular colleges interest you? Why? Univ. It's pretty, decent location, very old and has good food. What else could you want?
What are your hobbies? I play lacrosse and basketball and spend the rest of my time conquering 15th century Europe in a computer game.
If you were given a place next year, what would you do for the rest of the day? Cry. And then panic about failing my exams.

UCAS Season is starting so soon #hype !!!!!!!!
Original post by olegasr
Which A Levels are you doing? Maths, Further Maths, Physics.
Which course do you plan to apply for? Physics!
Do any particular colleges interest you? Why? Univ. It's pretty, decent location, very old and has good food. What else could you want?
What are your hobbies? I play lacrosse and basketball and spend the rest of my time conquering 15th century Europe in a computer game.
If you were given a place next year, what would you do for the rest of the day? Cry. And then panic about failing my exams.

UCAS Season is starting so soon #hype !!!!!!!!

Hey I'm applying to physics doing exactly the same A levels (dropped chemistry after AS)! :biggrin: Not sure which college I'm applying to yet though
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 869
Original post by Palette
I thought chemistry doesn't require an admissions test or has Oxford become mean?

As of this year Chemistry applicants now have to do part of the TSA, I guess the number of applications was getting too high to keep interviewing most people.
Original post by 98matt
Hey I'm applying to physics doing exactly the same A levels (dropped chemistry after AS)! :biggrin: Not sure which college I'm applying to yet though
Posted from TSR Mobile

I also dropped chemistry after AS! I'm gonna miss it though :frown: It was my favourite subject. Maybe.

Anyway, how is preparation for the PAT going?
Original post by Gilo98
any PPE people up for creating a Facebook group chat now that application and TSA looms ever closer? if so, PM me Facebook profile link and I'll add.

Could just start a thread on TSR, there isn't really one for 2017 applicants.
I have received my GCSE results and they are not as good as I was hoping for but I am grateful for what I have received. I got 3A* 4A 2B and was wondering if these were competitive enough for either Law or Philosophy and Theology. I did have extenuating circumstances during this year and during my exam period. Your advice would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MR.ANONYMOUS 786
I have received my GCSE results and they are not as good as I was hoping for but I am grateful for what I have received. I got 3A* 4A 2B and was wondering if these were competitive enough for either Law or Philosophy and Theology. I did have extenuating circumstances during this year and during my exam period. Your advice would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oxford prizes itself on choosing applicants with very strong GCSE's so your application does look a little weak. To make up for it your predicted grades and LNAT (law) score should be amazing. However, it doesn't hurt to try! I know that Keble accepted a law student with only 2A* at GCSE so it is possible (open day info :smile: ).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChairmanMeow1601
Oxford prizes itself on choosing applicants with very strong GCSE's so your application does look a little weak. To make up for it your predicted grades and LNAT (law) score should be amazing. However, it doesn't hurt to try! I know that Keble accepted a law student with only 2A* at GCSE so it is possible (open day info :smile: ).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply. What kind of predicted grades and LNAT scores would be 'amazing' enough ? Would Oxford bear in mind my extenuating circumstances ? Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChairmanMeow1601

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry but I just don't think that's true. I think if prizes itself on choosing smart people, and smartness can be reflected in plenty other areas of the application as well if not much better.

Plenty of people get in without perfect grades at GCSE and AS.
Original post by MouseyBrown
Sorry but I just don't think that's true. I think if prizes itself on choosing smart people, and smartness can be reflected in plenty other areas of the application as well if not much better.

Plenty of people get in without perfect grades at GCSE and AS.

Very true, but I think this person was referring to the fact that the grades may set OP back a little. Furthermore, Oxford do like GCSEs to be strong, as it shows a good work ethic.
Original post by will_cash
Very true, but I think this person was referring to the fact that the grades may set OP back a little. Furthermore, Oxford do like GCSEs to be strong, as it shows a good work ethic.

I know, but I'm saying it won't look weak with good interviews and TSA, and could not set him back at all.

I mean look, of course perfect GCSEs are better, but overall I just feel that too often people are discouraged from applying from people sayings things like your application may look 'weak' cause you got four Bs or whatever at GCSE. I know it wasn't even meant in a discouraging way or whatever! So perhaps I'm being harsh, but it is the kind of thing that gets said all the time, and generally it's not true.
Original post by Themathgeek
Started today and it's hard! Hope something clicks too!

Hiw long are you spending on multiple choice and long answers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same, tbh I have just been concentrating on getting the paper done and not really timed myself yet.

Original post by QueenOfCaffeine
Maths & Phil applicant here! I spent almost all of August doing MAT prep because I'm not familiar with the A-level syllabus but honestly I am finding the papers so difficilt. Just going to keep steadily working now since I'm back at school and just pray that something will click for me! What about you? How much time a week do you reckon is good to spend on preparation?

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Some of the A level stuff we haven't done.
Maybe we should make a group chat for everyone to help each other out or something
As for preparation I have no idea. Probably best to ask someone on the 2016 math applicants thread who did the MAT.

It's good to know that I'm not the only one finding it challenging though!

How much of your personal statement have you guys done?
Original post by MouseyBrown
I know, but I'm saying it won't look weak with good interviews and TSA, and could not set him back at all.

I mean look, of course perfect GCSEs are better, but overall I just feel that too often people are discouraged from applying from people sayings things like your application may look 'weak' cause you got four Bs or whatever at GCSE. I know it wasn't even meant in a discouraging way or whatever! So perhaps I'm being harsh, but it is the kind of thing that gets said all the time, and generally it's not true.

So do you think I have a chance of success if I do apply to Oxford for Philosophy and Theology with my GCSE grades ? Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending