The Student Room Group

TSR Med Students' Society Part VI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ForestCat
Pedantic, perhaps. But we've all been there. Everyone gets treated the same. Besides, those posts won't get removed. We don't check registration at uni. But if someone asks if they can post, but haven't started yet, they're always going to get (with tongue slightly in cheek) a no.

To be truly pedantic though, they won't be a med student until they actually have their first day. And I want to know which medical school is that organised to provide lecture notes etc before the student has even registered.

Point taken! :tongue:

The med school in question is otherwise most famous for selling 'an entire Scottish fry-up in a pie' in the hospital canteen.
Original post by prospectivemed56

The med school in question is otherwise most famous for selling 'an entire Scottish fry-up in a pie' in the hospital canteen.

Edinburgh? What days is that.

Well that med school is very organised.
Reply 383
Don't they all do that these days. Registration online. IT and email account already set up and active. Registration confirmed online after logging in and attendance on the course also confirmed online.

Access to timetable. Case notes. Slides. Learning outcomes all available on the online portal.
Original post by JayAhm
Don't they all do that these days. Registration online. IT and email account already set up and active. Registration confirmed online after logging in and attendance on the course also confirmed online.

Access to timetable. Case notes. Slides. Learning outcomes all available on the online portal.

Our lecture slides were usually only up the morning of, or sometimes even 5 minutes in to the lecture. We did have the module workbooks online, but that was only available once we actually started the modules.
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
Sounds like I'm the only person looking forward to third year? I mean I'm not brilliant, med school is far from a breeze and I just manage to scale through each year but I still prefer the stress of being in med school to being bored and stuck at home. Anyone else?

I'm just about to start again and also looking forward to it! This might be blind optimism though, because I really didn't get into a decent study routine until halfway through last year and therefore only just scraped through. :eek: Telling myself I will do better this year, heh.
Original post by ForestCat
Our lecture slides were usually only up the morning of, or sometimes even 5 minutes in to the lecture. We did have the module workbooks online, but that was only available once we actually started the modules.

The first time round I did this, we only had a 50/50 chance of ever getting our lecture notes, usually after the fact, and from a random choice of the department intranet, the college intranet, the course public website, Moodle, or email. Mostly it was just frantic copying down from the rolling acetate overhead projector.

I think I've already received more meaningful email communications from my new uni in the past few weeks than I got from my alma mater in four years!
The first time round I did this, we only had a 50/50 chance of ever getting our lecture notes, usually after the fact, and from a random choice of the department intranet, the college intranet, the course public website, Moodle, or email. Mostly it was just frantic copying down from the rolling acetate overhead projector.

I think I've already received more meaningful email communications from my new uni in the past few weeks than I got from my alma mater in four years!

Well I'm glad at least one uni has its act together :smile:
Reply 388

We learnt it in the same seminar where we learnt the secret cure for erectile dysfunction that the doctors don't want you to know!
Are people here following NHS keyhole?
Original post by frogs r everywhere
Any reviews on OHCM would be greatly appreciated!!! WIll be using it for second year and can see a hefty amount of linking/memorisation required. :tongue:

The Oxford Handbook of Clinical Medicine? I Love it, with a capital L, mainly for managing to be delightfully whimsical in writing style while packing the information in. Not sure about memorisation though. (I think I'm doing med school wrong. :tongue:)
Any reviews on OHCM would be greatly appreciated!!! WIll be using it for second year and can see a hefty amount of linking/memorisation required. :tongue:

It's a must imo. Concise, short and easy to understand but of course it assumes you have done the background reading via lectures etc

Never touched mine, think I must be the only medical student who doesn't use it

On a separate note: Consultant who supposedly left a message for us yesterday about teaching today, is actually on annual leave. How does this stuff even happen?

If you haven't yet covered the material then i think OCHM will probably be a little brief and won't allow for a great deal of understanding. If you've already covered the condition then it is a great resource for clinicals/highlighting the main points surrounding symptoms, investigation and management.
Original post by Zain-A
Hey, I start med school at aberdeen next week, can I join this thread yet ?

Original post by Hype en Ecosse

soz

Original post by Asklepios
Come back when you start. This is for current medical students only.
Reply 395

One of the best clinical medicine books, but relies on prior knowledge. It gets you from the point where you've done something before but can't quite remember it to the point where you can sit an exam. That said, nothing wrong with it as a first look either because it's succinct and to-the-point. First time I encountered a clinical condition I'd look it up in Kumar and Clarke, wikipedia, patient.co.uk and/or UpToDate to make initial notes and link it to what it says in the OHCM.
How much feedback is it usual for med schools to give students about exams?

I passed my exams at the end of my first year (phew) but have no info other than that. I think I could usefully use more detail about how I did (read: where I did especially badly - exams were a bit of a disaster tbh), and I am a bit surprised about the lack of, e.g. mark breakdowns, to the point that I'm wondering whether more info IS given and they just forgot to give it to me for some reason :redface:

Obviously I don't want to pester the powers that be if actually it's perfectly standard to get very little feedback, but I can't help but think that it isn't very helpful for being able to improve...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Brockle

I passed my exams at the end of my first year (phew) but have no info other than that. I think I could usefully use more detail about how I did (read: where I did especially badly - exams were a bit of a disaster tbh), and I am a bit surprised about the lack of, e.g. mark breakdowns, to the point that I'm wondering whether more info IS given and they just forgot to give it to me for some reason :redface:

Obviously I don't want to pester the powers that be if actually it's perfectly standard to get very little feedback, but I can't help but think that it isn't very helpful for being able to improve...

Posted from TSR Mobile

We got no personal feedback at all except for OSCEs.
Original post by Brockle

Zero here as well. Though a friend who had to resit an exam managed to contact the person who marked her specific paper to get some kind of feedback on what went wrong.

I'm about 6 weeks into my job and still loving it. With that and my grant I got only just shy of £1000 net this month. Not feeling so much like a poor student anymore! Which is a bloody good thing because I am definitely feeling too old to be scraping by. And I'm only feeling as pressed for time as I ever did. That thing about filling the time you have or whatever it is seems to indeed be true.

Feels very weird that I have 4.5 years to go. Would like it to go a little faster really.
Original post by Brockle

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's likely uni-dependent. We had a full breakdown of marks, for OSCEs, MCQs and written exams. We were also allowed to view our written exams and challenge the marking.

If you're not sure, just ask your friends? If nobody has received a breakdown of marks, your uni probably doesn't do it. If everybody else has received a breakdown and you haven't, just ask for yours. **

Edit: That was at St Andrews. Not sure about my clinical school. First impressions tell me they aren't half as organised as St Andrews, so I don't see us getting much in the way of exam breakdowns.*
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending