The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Workload at Uni of Liverpool (social sciences specifically)

I can find no information about the workload at the University of Liverpool.

Is it normal or excessive?

For the social sciences and humanities, how many hours outside of class per week would you say is usual?

Is it also necessary to work in holidays for these subjects?

Advice appreciated.
Original post by J_89
I can find no information about the workload at the University of Liverpool.

Is it normal or excessive?

For the social sciences and humanities, how many hours outside of class per week would you say is usual?

Is it also necessary to work in holidays for these subjects?

Advice appreciated.

It is not excessive, OP. I studied Combined Honours English and Sociology. In my first year I believe I was in class for roughly 6-8 hours a weel (it was a few years ago now, my memory is hazy). Outside of class per week, well, it depends on what kind of student you are. Sure, you could do hours and hours or you could keep it concise. Obviously workload increases in second and third year. I wouldn't worry too much about putting in tonnes of extra hours in first year, as long as you keep up with your lectures and seminars (e.g. doing the necessary reading) you will be ok.

No, not necessary to work in holidays.
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Reply 2
Original post by duckybird
It is not excessive, OP. I studied Combined Honours English and Sociology. In my first year I believe I was in class for roughly 6-8 hours a weel (it was a few years ago now, my memory is hazy). Outside of class per week, well, it depends on what kind of student you are. Sure, you could do hours and hours or you could keep it concise. Obviously workload increases in second and third year. I wouldn't worry too much about putting in tonnes of extra hours in first year, as long as you keep up with your lectures and seminars (e.g. doing the necessary reading) you will be ok.

No, not necessary to work in holidays.

Brill - thanks for the reply
Reply 3
The only time you'd have to work during the holidays is possibly Christmas, in terms of January exams (if you have them in your course) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending