The Student Room Group

going home every weekend from uni..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JustGeorgeJ
Hello :smile:,

It isn't uncommon at all for students to go home every weekend - I knew a few people that did just because they had work commitments or it made them comfortable so you could do it easily and balance your workload because you won't be driving all weekend so you'll have time to study as well.

However, as some people have said, you can just move to a different driving instructor in the local area. It'll be good for you because it'll give you experience of driving in a new area, more than likely a different car and be easier for you in the long run. I'd definitely have a look around to make a informed decision.

Good luck :biggrin:

thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by redbronze1
Quite a few people do go home on weekends.

did they have any specific reasons for going home on weekends?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ked95
I went home every weekend and regret it looking back. The weekend was the time when my flatmates could chill out a bit instead of working and would go out together etc, I excluded myself from all this by going home and in turn was sort of the 'outcast' of the house. (I got along with them all dead well, but didnt feel as close to them as they were to eachother)

hmm yes I see, was there any specific reason why you went home?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You have a few options:

1) Drive in your Uni city. As it is likely a larger city, learning here will be tougher and you will find home town driving easier, essentially making you a better driver.
2) Drive in your holidays.
3) Travel 2 hours home and back every weekend pointlessly wasting time and money to learn driving and then go back.
Original post by TrojanH
You have a few options:

1) Drive in your Uni city. As it is likely a larger city, learning here will be tougher and you will find home town driving easier, essentially making you a better driver.
2) Drive in your holidays.
3) Travel 2 hours home and back every weekend pointlessly wasting time and money to learn driving and then go back.

I'm either gonna do my driving lessons in my uni city or hometown, waiting till the holidays is pointless as I'll forget everything by then :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bubblegumcat
did they have any specific reasons for going home on weekends?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some people like visiting home, some people even live at home while studying. Personally, I didn't go home every week but I knew people that did go home every week so it's not unusual.
Reply 26
hmm yes I see, was there any specific reason why you went home?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wanted to start volunteering on saturdays somewhere that was kind of in between my home and uni, (40 mins drive from home or from uni) I was having car problems though so the plan was for a few weekends to go home friday nights by train and get a lift from home for a few weeks. This went on longer than planned but by the end of october I had dropped out anyway as the course wasn't right for me haha
Original post by ked95
I wanted to start volunteering on saturdays somewhere that was kind of in between my home and uni, (40 mins drive from home or from uni) I was having car problems though so the plan was for a few weekends to go home friday nights by train and get a lift from home for a few weeks. This went on longer than planned but by the end of october I had dropped out anyway as the course wasn't right for me haha

were there not any volunteering positions near your uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
There was plenty through uni but not in what I wanted to do, plus I liked that I could have somewhere I could go to when I was home for summer too :smile:
Original post by ked95
There was plenty through uni but not in what I wanted to do, plus I liked that I could have somewhere I could go to when I was home for summer too :smile:

ahh I see

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do your lessons at uni. Coming home every weekend is not bright. You're going to waste money doing that when you can simply do it up wherever you are.
Original post by EllainKahlo
Do your lessons at uni. Coming home every weekend is not bright. You're going to waste money doing that when you can simply do it up wherever you are.

👍🏾

Posted from TSR Mobile
workload should be fine, making friends and not getting homesick would be problematic

get an instructor where you are, you'll appreciate the extra time
I would go home every three weeks and often found I'd be spending the weekends alone unless my flatmate's wanted to go out or had a party planned for the weekend.*
Original post by sinfonietta
I would go home every three weeks and often found I'd be spending the weekends alone unless my flatmate's wanted to go out or had a party planned for the weekend.*

was this when you were staying at uni on the weekends?

Posted from TSR Mobile
was this when you were staying at uni on the weekends?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, yes! I meant to specify that oops.*
Original post by sinfonietta
Oh, yes! I meant to specify that oops.*

I see, did that happen to a lot of people?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm in a similar place with driving lessons. I took my test in like May but failed it and couldn't get another test date before I left because the test centre in my town is ridiculously understaffed. I've basically just decided to either find a driving instructor at my Uni after I've settled in or just wait until I finish for the summer and do one of those block placements where you basically just do intense lessons for a week and then have your test. I would advise doing one of those things rather than going home at the weekend for lessons simply because it will cause you a lot of unecessary stress you won't need on top of work stress etc.
Original post by EmmaRebecca97
I'm in a similar place with driving lessons. I took my test in like May but failed it and couldn't get another test date before I left because the test centre in my town is ridiculously understaffed. I've basically just decided to either find a driving instructor at my Uni after I've settled in or just wait until I finish for the summer and do one of those block placements where you basically just do intense lessons for a week and then have your test. I would advise doing one of those things rather than going home at the weekend for lessons simply because it will cause you a lot of unecessary stress you won't need on top of work stress etc.

good point

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending