The Student Room Group

Would you ever date someone who's unemployed?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by catholicgirl
Why is it bs?? It's not as if I am just saying something random. I am speaking from experience, My mum earned more than my dad and he was jealous that she could buy me nice stuff and he could not as he was just a security guard. That's why the marriage broke down.

We don't live in a Utopian society where 'love is all you need'. THAT'S NOT ENOUGH. Because when the man isn't working and he sees he's GF working, earning good money and providing for herself he will be jealous (consciously or unconsciously) that he can not 'provide' for her (which is biologically the role of a man).

The only people who think its bs is unemployed people who are angry that I am exposing the truth and ruining their opportunity to scrounge off of a woman.

You do realise that is literally one example. You do not have the formula for a successful relationship/marriage due to this one experience.

My grandmother always earned much more than my grandfather, she 'provided' for the family. Did he get jealous? Not really.

I'm probably also going to earn more than my partner if I get the job I want after university. Will he care? Probably not. And if he will then I'll find someone that won't. People are different and your parents are just one example.
Original post by Anonymous
Just found out the guy I was supposed to be going on a date with is unemployed....
Would it put you off if someone you're dating or want to date is unemployed?

mate this is the student room literally all of us will be unemployed
It depends, most students are actually registered as unemployed on national statistics; if they're older, nah.

However, some of my friends' mothers don't work as their dads are lawyers, bankers, etc.
So, it depends how much you are stifling into the bank. It is interchangeable, are you dating the voluptuous gem you unearthed on Tinder, or are you resultantly courting someone purely on their remuneration?
(edited 7 years ago)
Just found out the guy I was supposed to be going on a date with is unemployed....
Would it put you off if someone you're dating or want to date is unemployed?

It would put me off if he was comfortable being unemployed and had no intention of changing that.
If he was actively looking for work or was in education then I wouldn't be put off
Original post by BabyLadDarren
Would working towards employment count?

For me, yes. :smile:
Original post by catholicgirl
Why is it bs?? It's not as if I am just saying something random. I am speaking from experience, My mum earned more than my dad and he was jealous that she could buy me nice stuff and he could not as he was just a security guard. That's why the marriage broke down.

We don't live in a Utopian society where 'love is all you need'. THAT'S NOT ENOUGH. Because when the man isn't working and he sees he's GF working, earning good money and providing for herself he will be jealous (consciously or unconsciously) that he can not 'provide' for her (which is biologically the role of a man).

The only people who think its bs is unemployed people who are angry that I am exposing the truth and ruining their opportunity to scrounge off of a woman.

You're literally using one example to generalise the nation - it's a poor example at that as, not being rude, but your dad was clearly insecure and probably felt that being a provider is his only use.

Personally, a girl that isn't making her own living and providing for herself, is a complete turn-off for me. This is the modern world, we don't follow the "man earns money, woman stays home and cooks/cleans" ideal anymore. I really, really don't want a woman that's looking for a man to provide for her.
I am sorry but this is shallow af. Whether the guy is employed has nothing to do with his personality especially if he is a recent graduate. What if the guy is working on improving himself to break into his ideal career? Some people are not willing to settle for second best if they have the qualification/attributes to get a better job. If he is that sort of guy (I am not saying he is but you should find out why he is unemployed rather than prejudging him), I would say he is more committed than a guy who just gives up and settle down for any random jobs and forgo his dreams.*
Original post by Foo.mp3
No, but then I'm not a gold digger :h:

There's this guy I was into but since I've found out he's unemployed I'm going off him :/ he seems less masculine to me now
He's recently graduated but even that's putting me off

Only a recent grad? its hard to get jobs with your degrees nowadays i say you should give it sometime, don't let it put you off if you really like the guy.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Great story bro :borat:

I didn't say that so you could be sarky, I wanted advice on what to do
A lot of people who don't work get more money than those who don't.
jeez how shallow and lame you are (unemployed person here haha)
No, just search through the DWP archives.
You could always date Ian Duncan Smith?
As an unemployed man in full time education, I would be put off too. Unless she's between jobs, currently in full time education or was recently laid off, then yeah it's a turn off. Either way, there's no harm in getting to know the guy before deciding if you want to pursue anything. Experience is a good thing.
If he/she is unemployed due to a physical or mental health then I wouldn't have a problem with him/her so long as he or she is working towards something such as going to a college, (mainstream colleges not adult community learning) looking for work, has things to do from 8am to late and not watching daytime tv all day.

Access to HE in Social Work

BSc Health and Social Care - pending
Original post by AlexLawrence1453
As an unemployed man in full time education, I would be put off too. Unless she's between jobs, currently in full time education or was recently laid off, then yeah it's a turn off. Either way, there's no harm in getting to know the guy before deciding if you want to pursue anything. Experience is a good thing.

I cancelled the date and told him I was too busy and wasn't looking for anything right now. Now I regret it :frown:
It depends why. If it's due to health reasons or a disability then I can understand but pure laziness is a no no
I cancelled the date and told him I was too busy and wasn't looking for anything right now. Now I regret it :frown:

You turn him down because he's unemployed now you regret it. :colonhash:

It was a stupid decision to begin with its not like you were gonna marry him tomorrow. It was just a first date, you should have given him the benefit of the doubt and left if it was unbearable.

Do you know why he's unemployed btw
Love should be unconditional in my opinion and not based on money or social class.

Since he is a graduate, he should be able to get a job soon.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending