The Student Room Group

Should I pay?

My car is parked outside of my private student accommodation. I was less than impressed with the area when I first arrived but of course hadn't had time previously to go for a viewing. My car was vandalised, along with many others on the road. The criminals had speared all four tyres of my car. The excess of my insurance is nearly £400 due to being a "young driver", the police can't find who it is, my building manager won't have anything to do with it although I now fear my safety, the security of my residence is less than useful, my parents are out of the country on vacation and I've been living here just over a week. As far as covering the damages of my vehicle that were in no way my fault, I just don't feel that it's right - of course it's not but according to my insurance company, I'm being held responsible since they don't know who did it. I'm already having to pay more for my insurance for moving out of the countryside into the city. I feel mislead, alone and quite frankly, emotionally drained.

Has anyone else been in a situation like this, how did you deal with it? Does anyone have any sort of advice?
Reply 1
I do feel for you as I have been in a similar situation myself. My car was damaged by a "hit and run" driver while it was parked. Your situation was quite worse as all four tyres were punctured, rendering your car undriveable.

There isn't much advice to give, other than try to park off road wherever possible and avoid parking on-street in unsavoury areas. Not possible all the time, I know, but all we can do is minimise our exposure to the risk.

Tyres are usually not covered by insurance, so I wouldn't have even told them about it, as it may increase your future premiums further even if they haven't paid out. It's just a case of put your hand in your pocket, pay for new tyres and try parking in a different place in future.
Original post by NinaBookah
My car is parked outside of my private student accommodation. I was less than impressed with the area when I first arrived but of course hadn't had time previously to go for a viewing. My car was vandalised, along with many others on the road. The criminals had speared all four tyres of my car. The excess of my insurance is nearly £400 due to being a "young driver", the police can't find who it is, my building manager won't have anything to do with it although I now fear my safety, the security of my residence is less than useful, my parents are out of the country on vacation and I've been living here just over a week. As far as covering the damages of my vehicle that were in no way my fault, I just don't feel that it's right - of course it's not but according to my insurance company, I'm being held responsible since they don't know who did it. I'm already having to pay more for my insurance for moving out of the countryside into the city. I feel mislead, alone and quite frankly, emotionally drained.

Has anyone else been in a situation like this, how did you deal with it? Does anyone have any sort of advice?

Should you pay?

Well do you want a car that you can drive or an expensive ornament outside your house?
Reply 3
Original post by mackemforever
Should you pay?

Well do you want a car that you can drive or an expensive ornament outside your house?

Made me laugh +1

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending