The Student Room Group

What car is better?

Poll

What car is bettet?

I had to re do this because i messed up on the poll.

So i want a new car and i have chosen theee cars

Audi a3 2013
Bmw 1 series 2012
Vw golf 2013
And is a bmw 1 series a girly car
Odd question.

All of these are "good" (just like almost any kind of car these days),
and all are expensive to maintain.
Reply 2
They are cost a bit to look after but i just want a general opinion on what people think which car is better
Original post by driverboy133
I had to re do this because i messed up on the poll.

So i want a new car and i have chosen theee cars

Audi a3 2013
Bmw 1 series 2012
Vw golf 2013
And is a bmw 1 series a girly car

If it was my choice I would probably pick the 1 series due to the rear wheel drive characteristics. What engines do you want? If it's the diesel get the A3 (despite the golf having the same engine) because the interior is premium it is also quite fast and very economical.
Get the Audi if you want a premium, solid, but soulless FWD car.

Get the Golf if you want solid, but soulless FWD car.

Get the BMW if you want a driver's car.
The BMW has small boot.
RWD driving characteristics are overrated - they doesn't matter for most of drivers, don't do much difference with ESP on and the BMW has very understeer suspension setup, It must be badly provoked to behave differently than FWD.

If the A3 has aluminium suspension, I would avoid it. In normal cars suspension arm ought to be changed only when they are damaged in crash, while aluminium ones must be replaced frequently and they cost a lot of money.

German cars were solid in 70ties and 80ties, when they were underpowered and built with material reserves, but it was a long time ago.
The fasoline TFSIs and first 2.0TDI were particularly crappy.
Reply 6
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
Get the Audi if you want a premium, solid, but soulless FWD car.

Get the Golf if you want solid, but soulless FWD car.

Get the BMW if you want a driver's car.

No one is buying a 1-series for being a "driver's car", if you're getting a small hatchback then choose it for sensible reasons.
Reply 7
I have developed a dislike of BMWs, more because of the appallingly bad driving they display disproportionately often. Anything with a diesel engine is likely to be taxed more heavily in future, but I would still lean towards the VW just because it seems to be a solid, reliable car that won't cost you extra cash for the badge (and won't make it look like you're compensating for anything) :smile:
Original post by Treeroy
No one is buying a 1-series for being a "driver's car", if you're getting a small hatchback then choose it for sensible reasons.

Nonsense. Loads of people are choosing the 1-Series (which is as large as a hatchback can be) because it's RWD and actually somewhat fun to drive. Trust our market intelligence...
If you want a drivers car, go for the MX5!
Or an RX8

But out of your options, the Audi is the best.
Original post by sek510i
e VW just because it seems to be a solid, reliable car that won't cost you extra cash for the badge (and won't make it look like you're compensating for anything) :smile:

I keep telling you, it only seems to be solid.
Some VW engines are one of the worst on the market in terms of durability.
Original post by PTMalewski
I keep telling you, it only seems to be solid.
Some VW engines are one of the worst on the market in terms of durability.

VWs are very reliable, dunno what you're on about, but regardless these are cars that will do 200,000 miles, way more than that. Why be concerned about the durability when it would take 20 years for that to become an issue?
Original post by Treeroy
VWs are very reliable, dunno what you're on about, but regardless these are cars that will do 200,000 miles, way more than that. Why be concerned about the durability when it would take 20 years for that to become an issue?

Completely wrong. I take it that you don't have friends who run car fleets, and not simply with leased cars, but also owned, with all repairs etc.
1.4 TFSI for example burns oil after 80, 000 miles (very bad result and this can be done in 2-4 years in fleet or whenone works as sales representative) and there are no oversize parts for that engine (which means that you can't make renovation), so it either has to be replaced, or you need to buy a new car after 120- 130 k miles, because lots of parts will need replacement and they are either not avaible or very expensive.
Also, early 2.0 TDIs were made too cheaply, so even cylinder blocks were exploding in brand new cars.

Lack of oversize parts, bad quailty of timing gear (thin timing chains, plastic timing wheels in W configuration VW engines) , integrated parts that make repairs extremely expensive (eg. crankshaft and timing wheel in 2.0TDI) and very limited mileage are generally a common problem of modern cars, but VW is not any better, in fact some of their engines are worse than average, and the VAG's aluminnium suspension is weak and expensive repairs.

VWs are generally overpriced cars of average quality, designed to fail in most expensive manner after (planned obsolence) 130k miles, with some inferior engines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending