The Student Room Group

Further maths

So I'm looking to apply for Physics for 2017 entry at Oxford and Imperial but I don't do further maths. How much of a disadvantage will I be at?

(I do Physics, Maths(c1, c2, s1, c3, c4, s2, m1 and m2), Geography at Alevel and I did Chemistry at AS too + an EPQ)
Bump
kinda freaking out about this pls help lmao
Original post by IDontKnowReally
So I'm looking to apply for Physics for 2017 entry at Oxford and Imperial but I don't do further maths. How much of a disadvantage will I be at?

(I do Physics, Maths(c1, c2, s1, c3, c4, s2, m1 and m2), Geography at Alevel and I did Chemistry at AS too + an EPQ)

Wait why tf are there 4 applied units?

In your position you should think about doing m1,m2

if it were my decision (brilliant pun) I would go for S1 and M1

Not disadvantage from applying at all...
There are no hidden requirements at all so just research your Uni's.

Have you only just picked up your EPQ? They are actually really useful and count as an A level grade(although it's an AS)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4

Since you're doing 4 applied units, if you did FP1, youd get an AS in further maths

The Oxford web site makes it very clear, I'm sure imperial will too.
It's an advantage to completing the course but is not needed to be offered a place.
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/physics?wssl=1
That said, you are doing 8 units of maths, you only need to self study one more, FP1 and you could have an AS in FM.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Maths is Life
Wait why tf are there 4 applied units?

In your position you should think about doing m1,m2

if it were my decision (brilliant pun) I would go for S1 and M1

Not disadvantage from applying at all...
There are no hidden requirements at all so just research your Uni's.

Have you only just picked up your EPQ? They are actually really useful and count as an A level grade(although it's an AS)

there arent 4 applied, im taking m1 and m2 as extras
no, we do epqs in year 13 at my school
Reply 7
there arent 4 applied, im taking m1 and m2 as extras
no, we do epqs in year 13 at my school

You could just use them for further maths instead of using them as a safety net for normal maths

Quick Reply

Latest