The Student Room Group

Tonsillectomy advice?

I'm having a tonsillectomy because of constant tonsil stones. It's pretty short notice cos of the surgeons schedule so I don't ave much time for googling and looking for advice etc so if anybody has any experience or advice I would really appreciate it. :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I'm having a tonsillectomy because of constant tonsil stones. It's pretty short notice cos of the surgeons schedule so I don't ave much time for googling and looking for advice etc so if anybody has any experience or advice I would really appreciate it. :smile:

Hi! My younger cousin had his tonsils out about a year ago. I also had surgery on my tongue, and the whole before/after sugery situation was largely the same. Is there anything you'd like to know in particular? Remember that on the day, when you've been admitted, someone should come and talk you through what's going to happen before, during, and after the surgery as well :smile: My advice would be to cancel any plans for the week after the surgery. It might seem obvious to do, but I was planning to get back to school the day after and just take painkillers with me. I was still quite groggy from the anaesthetic for almost a week and struggled to actually stay awake. I never even thought about that beforehand. It was quite nice to just take that bit of time to feel sorry for myself and stay at home as well without having loads of stuff to deal with

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Hi! My younger cousin had his tonsils out about a year ago. I also had surgery on my tongue, and the whole before/after sugery situation was largely the same. Is there anything you'd like to know in particular? Remember that on the day, when you've been admitted, someone should come and talk you through what's going to happen before, during, and after the surgery as well :smile: My advice would be to cancel any plans for the week after the surgery. It might seem obvious to do, but I was planning to get back to school the day after and just take painkillers with me. I was still quite groggy from the anaesthetic for almost a week and struggled to actually stay awake. I never even thought about that beforehand. It was quite nice to just take that bit of time to feel sorry for myself and stay at home as well without having loads of stuff to deal with

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply :smile:
I've had a surgery before so i'm not worried about any of the general bits like anesthesia or anything and I have no plans and a wonderful bf to care for me. I was terrified for my first one though!

I'm just wondering if there's anything specific to the tonsillectomy like complications I should look out for or what foods to avoid or any bits like that. I've read that there's a risk of bleeding and that you need to sleep with your head up or something so i'm going to remember that. I just like knowing as much as I can before hand since I tend to get anxious if I don't know what's going on or what something means. It's all rather short notice too- just booked in today and it's next friday- so I guess i'm worried i'll miss something.
Thanks for the reply :smile:
I've had a surgery before so i'm not worried about any of the general bits like anesthesia or anything and I have no plans and a wonderful bf to care for me. I was terrified for my first one though!

I'm just wondering if there's anything specific to the tonsillectomy like complications I should look out for or what foods to avoid or any bits like that. I've read that there's a risk of bleeding and that you need to sleep with your head up or something so i'm going to remember that. I just like knowing as much as I can before hand since I tend to get anxious if I don't know what's going on or what something means. It's all rather short notice too- just booked in today and it's next friday- so I guess i'm worried i'll miss something.

I'm exactly the same :biggrin: For the first day or so, ice pops and water are good ways to stay hydrated without hurting your throat. If you like it, applesauce and cranberry sauce are good things to eat in the first day or so. Ice cream, porridge, mashed potato, jelly, and soft foods like that are good after a couple of days if you can't eat them any earlier. Don't eat anything spicy, and avoid things like crunchy cereal and crisps as well. Keep an eye on your temperature afterwards, and call your doctor or 111 if you get a fever, the swelling gets bad, or notice bleeding from your nose or mouth. You might snore for the first week or two, but after that you should be good. There's a risk it won't work as well as hoped, and may not prevent infections and stuff, but this isn't big. When you're home, sleep with an extra pillow or two. You certainly don't have to sleep upright or anything, but keeping your head slightly elevated to above your heart reduces risk of complications as well. You should be feeling a lot better after a few days, but you might feel a bit more pain again about a week later. It's completely normal and just part of the healing process, and you're more likely to experience bleeding at this point because scabs are coming loose. Some people find their voice changes slightly after surgery, but this resolves itself
Reply 4
Original post by chelseadagg3r
I'm exactly the same :biggrin: For the first day or so, ice pops and water are good ways to stay hydrated without hurting your throat. If you like it, applesauce and cranberry sauce are good things to eat in the first day or so. Ice cream, porridge, mashed potato, jelly, and soft foods like that are good after a couple of days if you can't eat them any earlier. Don't eat anything spicy, and avoid things like crunchy cereal and crisps as well. Keep an eye on your temperature afterwards, and call your doctor or 111 if you get a fever, the swelling gets bad, or notice bleeding from your nose or mouth. You might snore for the first week or two, but after that you should be good. There's a risk it won't work as well as hoped, and may not prevent infections and stuff, but this isn't big. When you're home, sleep with an extra pillow or two. You certainly don't have to sleep upright or anything, but keeping your head slightly elevated to above your heart reduces risk of complications as well. You should be feeling a lot better after a few days, but you might feel a bit more pain again about a week later. It's completely normal and just part of the healing process, and you're more likely to experience bleeding at this point because scabs are coming loose. Some people find their voice changes slightly after surgery, but this resolves itself

Thank you. That's really helpful. :smile: I'm planning on getting my bf to make me loads of mashed potato once I can manage it and I think i'll try using things like cranberry and gravy to make it less repetative.
Do you think drinks like (still) lucozade would be alright for the first days? I saw them suggested on one site but they're quite strong so i'm not sure.
Thank you. That's really helpful. :smile: I'm planning on getting my bf to make me loads of mashed potato once I can manage it and I think i'll try using things like cranberry and gravy to make it less repetative.
Do you think drinks like (still) lucozade would be alright for the first days? I saw them suggested on one site but they're quite strong so i'm not sure.

You might find they hurt a bit. Anything carbonated is a no of course, but anything citrusy or acidic will hurt at first too. Its worth a try if you fancy it, but water will be your best bet
I recommend that you try to eat as normally as possible as soon as possible. Drink plenty of fluids to keep the wound area hydrated, this will help with pain. In terms of complications the key thing to look out for it bleeding. If you experience any post surgical bleeding you may need to go back to the hospital. This is fairly unlikely though and it should be explained to you before your surgery.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest