The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Me and my mum, who has fibro, are replacing my carpet and replacing my bed with a (very heavy) new one. I'm expecting to be out of action for about 3 years after this hahaha I'm already exhausted and we've only just started :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by furryface12
Support team message

Hey guys,

I don't like having to do this in this thread but please remember that whilst TSR is not the place for advertising for personal gain, if you don't like a post it should be reported rather than replying. There is also a difference between raising awareness and campaigning so please bear this in mind. Thanks :smile:

OK. Please remember that this is a point that has been raised repeatedly through reported posts over the last year and appears to have been ignored.

The modern TSR is a for profit website which get its money through the use of paid advertisers. The profit from which is diminished when people are allowed to advertise through an 'infomatic commercial'.
Original post by Jamie
OK. Please remember that this is a point that has been raised repeatedly through reported posts over the last year and appears to have been ignored.

The modern TSR is a for profit website which get its money through the use of paid advertisers. The profit from which is diminished when people are allowed to advertise through an 'infomatic commercial'.

If you've got questions about moderation or from reports it's best to raise them in AtCT :smile: I'm just a volunteer, I don't actually have a clue :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you've got questions about moderation or from reports it's best to raise them in AtCT :smile: I'm just a volunteer, I don't actually have a clue :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its all right, I know you are a volounteer. I was doing the same role in TSR circa 2005/6! (although I think Health and Relationships was the name of the forum)
Original post by Jamie
Its all right, I know you are a volounteer. I was doing the same role in TSR circa 2005/6! (although I think Health and Relationships was the name of the forum)

Didn't realise you were an ex-mod! I imagine TSR's changed loads in that time, has even since I joined. So's the role come to that in the 20 months or so I've been on the team. H&R mods ftw :tongue:

Original post by chelseadagg3r
Me and my mum, who has fibro, are replacing my carpet and replacing my bed with a (very heavy) new one. I'm expecting to be out of action for about 3 years after this hahaha I'm already exhausted and we've only just started :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds like it could be entertaining! Hope the payback's not too bad and the new room's worth it :smile:
Didn't realise you were an ex-mod! I imagine TSR's changed loads in that time, has even since I joined. So's the role come to that in the 20 months or so I've been on the team. H&R mods ftw :tongue:

That sounds like it could be entertaining! Hope the payback's not too bad and the new room's worth it :smile:

The bed is amaaaazing. Absolutely exhausted though and oh god everything hurts so much. At least I have the biggest best bed ever to lay around in :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm all set for my first day back at college since taking my year out. Very nervous because I'm joining an established class. I just really hope I can get through the year this time so I can get some half decent grades. I already have the stress of appealing my PIP decision at the moment so it's really important to try and keep going at the moment. Fingers crossed!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Had this for nearly a year now. It really ruined my A levels, and now I have to retake the whole of A2 (got AAAB in AS and ended up getting BCD in A2). It really pisses me off because now I can't apply to medical school because my sixth form said it doesn't count as an extenuating circumstance. If anything, that's made it even worse.
I'm all set for my first day back at college since taking my year out. Very nervous because I'm joining an established class. I just really hope I can get through the year this time so I can get some half decent grades. I already have the stress of appealing my PIP decision at the moment so it's really important to try and keep going at the moment. Fingers crossed!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hope it wen/is going okay! PIP too, that just sounds awful :/

Original post by Anonymous
Had this for nearly a year now. It really ruined my A levels, and now I have to retake the whole of A2 (got AAAB in AS and ended up getting BCD in A2). It really pisses me off because now I can't apply to medical school because my sixth form said it doesn't count as an extenuating circumstance. If anything, that's made it even worse.

Could you speak to some of the med schools about this individually? CFS is definitely an extenuating circumstance, and having a school that's not understanding shouldn't stop you doing what you want to do. That aside, medicine is a hugely intense course so I would make sure you're as well as possible before you start- if that takes a couple of gap years or whatever then so be it. Start a thread up in the medicine forum on here but really hope it all works out for you

Yeah, the PIP thing is a pain. I have 20 days to get a new load of evidence together so hopefully I can get it done it time. College is going okay. I've managed to turn up everyday, although I'm struggling with being in lessons without getting ill and I haven't really got any work done. I've had to do it all at home so far, but I'll hopefully be able to work in a quiet room if need be and I'm having an SpLD assessment as well :tongue: Hope you're doing okay!

Could you speak to some of the med schools about this individually? CFS is definitely an extenuating circumstance, and having a school that's not understanding shouldn't stop you doing what you want to do. That aside, medicine is a hugely intense course so I would make sure you're as well as possible before you start- if that takes a couple of gap years or whatever then so be it. Start a thread up in the medicine forum on here but really hope it all works out for you

My sixth form think it's not serious enough. I'm taking a break during this gap year now and have been seeing a clinical psychologist which is helping a lot! I just don't know what to do. There are a few medical schools that accept A level resits under extenuating circumstances but my sixth form isn't helping me out.
My sixth form think it's not serious enough. I'm taking a break during this gap year now and have been seeing a clinical psychologist which is helping a lot! I just don't know what to do. There are a few medical schools that accept A level resits under extenuating circumstances but my sixth form isn't helping me out.

My school was like that too. It's really quite insulting! It could be worth getting your doctor to write them a letter, detailing what your condition is and how if affects you, particularly the effect it had on you during your initial exams. Glad to hear the psychologist is helping! I've been considering taking my doctor up on the offer for that myself :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
My school was like that too. It's really quite insulting! It could be worth getting your doctor to write them a letter, detailing what your condition is and how if affects you, particularly the effect it had on you during your initial exams. Glad to hear the psychologist is helping! I've been considering taking my doctor up on the offer for that myself :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did give them a letter from my GP and my sixth form still don't think it's serious enough. They keep on saying they won't even mention it in my reference and keep on criticising me for not telling them during my exams (I didn't even know that was possible). I don't know anymore, I feel like these last 12 months have been the worst ever.

The psychologist really does help though! :smile:
I did give them a letter from my GP and my sixth form still don't think it's serious enough. They keep on saying they won't even mention it in my reference and keep on criticising me for not telling them during my exams (I didn't even know that was possible). I don't know anymore, I feel like these last 12 months have been the worst ever.

The psychologist really does help though! :smile:

Ugh that's awful. My school even called social services in at one point because they insisted I was just skiving even though they had me get letters from my doctor about every month :rofl: That's really bad though. I'm wondering if there's something you can do still, though. Maybe a sit-down meeting with the headteacher and a parent, or even a letter to the governors might help
Ugh that's awful. My school even called social services in at one point because they insisted I was just skiving even though they had me get letters from my doctor about every month :rofl: That's really bad though. I'm wondering if there's something you can do still, though. Maybe a sit-down meeting with the headteacher and a parent, or even a letter to the governors might help

OMG! Even when the received dr's notes - that's just too much. There's only a few medical schools that accept A level resits with extenuating circumstances and I'm running out of time before the UCAS deadline. The universities that do accept it have forms that need to be filled in by the sixth form and they keep on refusing to do so. :sad: At the moment I can only apply to Exeter as they don't mind A level resits, but that's risky in itself.

If you don't mind me asking, how do I go about the letter to the governors?
OMG! Even when the received dr's notes - that's just too much. There's only a few medical schools that accept A level resits with extenuating circumstances and I'm running out of time before the UCAS deadline. The universities that do accept it have forms that need to be filled in by the sixth form and they keep on refusing to do so. :sad: At the moment I can only apply to Exeter as they don't mind A level resits, but that's risky in itself.

If you don't mind me asking, how do I go about the letter to the governors?

Aw that's so bad. Over something at one point, I can't remember what, I didn't agree with the school's decision and basically went above the headteacher and wrote a letter to them. It was health related, but I can't remember the exact situation. You'll have to find out where to address it, but address it to the Chair of Governors. After dealing with the headteacher, that's often the next step. I'm not sure how quickly you'd get a response though. Just explain your situation, the need for a quick response, and ask if there's anything that can be done as you don't agree with the sixth form's decision. In the meantime, I'd keep on at the sixth form. I really hope this all gets sorted out! I'll keep thinking as well!
Aw that's so bad. Over something at one point, I can't remember what, I didn't agree with the school's decision and basically went above the headteacher and wrote a letter to them. It was health related, but I can't remember the exact situation. You'll have to find out where to address it, but address it to the Chair of Governors. After dealing with the headteacher, that's often the next step. I'm not sure how quickly you'd get a response though. Just explain your situation, the need for a quick response, and ask if there's anything that can be done as you don't agree with the sixth form's decision. In the meantime, I'd keep on at the sixth form. I really hope this all gets sorted out! I'll keep thinking as well!

Thank you so much! I'll keep you updated. x

Sorry they were like that, mine were similar really :s-smilie: mostly just meant go around them and email the unis yourself- if you explain your situation they might have something to suggest and it definitely won't hurt your situation! It's up to you though, and people in the medicine/UCAS forums on here will have a much better idea :smile:

Yeah, the PIP thing is a pain. I have 20 days to get a new load of evidence together so hopefully I can get it done it time. College is going okay. I've managed to turn up everyday, although I'm struggling with being in lessons without getting ill and I haven't really got any work done. I've had to do it all at home so far, but I'll hopefully be able to work in a quiet room if need be and I'm having an SpLD assessment as well :tongue: Hope you're doing okay!

Hope you can, yeah :s-smilie: good! Can understand that, you'll work it out though. SpLD should definitely help! Thanks
Hey guys :hugs:

Currently getting tested for CFS/ME atm, well getting everything else ruled out first but my doctor is confident its CFS I have. Symptoms started about 4 years ago but I put them down to my mental health conditions plus my bowel condition. I assumed the reason why I was so exhausted constantly was because of my anxiety etc but over the last two years it has gotten worse and when I brought it up to my doctor she said it didn't sound like anxiety was causing it. The biggest problem for me atm is the extreme exhaustion after doing something physical. Yesterday is a good example - I went out shopping for a couple of hours with my mum. I didn't carry anything heavy and I had ate and had breaks every now and then and I felt ok while I was out but about 8 hours later, the overwhelming exhaustion hits me, its unlike any normal tiredness and every muscle, joint and bone feels like it hurts like hell and this carries onto the next day no matter how well I sleep and sometimes I become bedbound from the pain for a day or two so once I go out for a day, I have to stay in maybe another day or two to 'recover'. It happens even when I am out or exercising for less than a couple of hours too. Sometimes the exhaustion hits sooner than 8 eight hours or sometimes its even the next day. The pain is usually in my back, neck, knees and finger tips. My knees and fingers often 'lock' when the pain is at its worst and painkillers don't touch it :frown: I also get stabbing pains in my lymph nodes despite them being no significantly swollen. They are pea sized and have been for years and apparently that's normal although I still freak out every time I feel them :colondollar:

I do have a few other symptoms - memory issues, insomnia, constant general malaise in between the utter exhaustion, headaches, sore throats etc and it probably isn't CFS but I'll just be glad to get a diagnosis one way or another soon because its draining being stuck in limbo and its worrying waiting to hear if they find anything more serious wrong with you. I've got my blood test next Monday, I can't remember what exactly they are testing for but I'll keep you updated.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Spock's Socks
Hey guys :hugs:

Currently getting tested for CFS/ME atm, well getting everything else ruled out first but my doctor is confident its CFS I have. Symptoms started about 4 years ago but I put them down to my mental health conditions plus my bowel condition. I assumed the reason why I was so exhausted constantly was because of my anxiety etc but over the last two years it has gotten worse and when I brought it up to my doctor she said it didn't sound like anxiety was causing it. The biggest problem for me atm is the extreme exhaustion after doing something physical. Yesterday is a good example - I went out shopping for a couple of hours with my mum. I didn't carry anything heavy and I had ate and had breaks every now and then and I felt ok while I was out but about 8 hours later, the overwhelming exhaustion hits me, its unlike any normal tiredness and every muscle, joint and bone feels like it hurts like hell and this carries onto the next day no matter how well I sleep and sometimes I become bedbound from the pain for a day or two so once I go out for a day, I have to stay in maybe another day or two to 'recover'. It happens even when I am out or exercising for less than a couple of hours too. Sometimes the exhaustion hits sooner than 8 eight hours or sometimes its even the next day. The pain is usually in my back, neck, knees and finger tips. My knees and fingers often 'lock' when the pain is at its worst and painkillers don't touch it :frown: I also get stabbing pains in my lymph nodes despite them being no significantly swollen. They are pea sized and have been for years and apparently that's normal although I still freak out every time I feel them :colondollar:

I do have a few other symptoms - memory issues, insomnia, constant general malaise in between the utter exhaustion, headaches, sore throats etc and it probably isn't CFS but I'll just be glad to get a diagnosis one way or another soon because its draining being stuck in limbo and its worrying waiting to hear if they find anything more serious wrong with you. I've got my blood test next Monday, I can't remember what exactly they are testing for but I'll keep you updated.

Hi! :hugs:

The whole testing phase can be irritating, but it's worth it just to be told what is/is not wrong imo. I know what you mean about the pain! After a long day at college, I struggle to hold my head up in the car on the way home because my neck is so messed up. I have quite bad memory and cognitive issues as well, insomnia, headaches, malaise and everything as well. It's weird how many things can be linked to it! Don't worry about all the tests. I had every test under the sun, and it was all just formalities. I hope everything goes well!

Latest