The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

choosing durham college help!

what i would like is somewhere social, where it's relatively to meet new people and integrate, i also don't really wan't a particularly small college but not big enough to feel isolated- would like somewhere central ish - wouldn't like to travel to far to lectures- 10-15 min walk max (i'm wishing to study e &m so colleges reasonably close to these lectures). I'm fairly sporty so a college with a gym/ sport pitches (especially for rugby ) would be beneficial. I don't mind about catered or non-catered...catered would perhaps edge it ( if the foods good). I would also like a college which has the option to attend formals, butals a relaxed atmosphere where people can be casual etc....if i ave given anything of value to go off pleeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaasssseeee help!! much appreciated ))))))
Reply 1
helppppppppppp
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
laksjbsadlkja
I want to apply to Durham too...... but the only college I ever hear people speak about is University College (is that what it's called???)

anyone know which colleges are known as the:

boring ones
posh/snobby ones
party ones
quiet ones

any other stereotype lol
You can take a look at the colleges in the Uni website. I'm applying to Durham as well :biggrin:, so far I have University college and Hatfield in my list. as they are close to the center and looks nice to live in.
Relaxed atmosphere and Sporty would lead you to Collingwood. It's not far out from where most lectures are. I preferred Hatfield, it was traditional however not too over the top and still a nice environment to live in. It's a good 10 min walk to your lectures though. I would recommend going on the Durham Uni YouTube channel, they have video for each college, albeit only a few minutes long.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Kawaii289
You can take a look at the colleges in the Uni website. I'm applying to Durham as well :biggrin:, so far I have University college and Hatfield in my list. as they are close to the center and looks nice to live in.

exactly the same, i'm leaning towards hatfield, but i'm not sure about st john's , the person tha showed me round was ridiculously nice
Reply 7
Original post by sammygmfc
Relaxed atmosphere and Sporty would lead you to Collingwood. It's not far out from where most lectures are. I preferred Hatfield, it was traditional however not too over the top and still a nice environment to live in. It's a good 10 min walk to your lectures though. I would recommend going on the Durham Uni YouTube channel, they have video for each college, albeit only a few minutes long.

i was worried about applying to the ones on the hill, not sure if there'd be less of a uni feel to the place?
Original post by ineedA
i was worried about applying to the ones on the hill, not sure if there'd be less of a uni feel to the place?

Yep, I was definitely most impressed by Hatfield and St. Mary's. Castle is obviously brilliant but applying is super risky considering the amount of people who apply there.
Reply 9
Original post by IRoranth
I want to apply to Durham too...... but the only college I ever hear people speak about is University College (is that what it's called???)

anyone know which colleges are known as the:

boring ones
posh/snobby ones
party ones
quiet ones

any other stereotype lol

Boring ones: Hill colleges. The freps didn't even let them out much lol.
Posh/snobby ones: Hatfield. Cringe.

ST CHADS IS THE ****ING ONE
Original post by IMGOD666
Boring ones: Hill colleges. The freps didn't even let them out much lol.
Posh/snobby ones: Hatfield. Cringe.

ST CHADS IS THE ****ING ONE

Why's St Chads the one?

Are you biased? ;P LOLS.

Also, what do you mean by freps, and why else are the Hill colleges boring?

Plus- how snobby are the majority of people at Durham?

Quick Reply

Latest