The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

college at durham uni

hi, I'm applying to Durham uni and I'm currently trying to decide what college to choose.
If anyone who does English at Durham or knows what it's like there could tell me which college they recommend that'd be great!
I'm also trying to look for one that's close to the English departments but since open days are online I can't really gauge the distance.
Original post by 20perrinb
hi, I'm applying to Durham uni and I'm currently trying to decide what college to choose.
If anyone who does English at Durham or knows what it's like there could tell me which college they recommend that'd be great!
I'm also trying to look for one that's close to the English departments but since open days are online I can't really gauge the distance.

Hi, at Durham there isn't a best/worst college and each one has it's perks but also some downfalls.
If you could answer some question I could help you:
Do you want a catered or self-catered college
Do you want a single room or sharing a room is ok for you?
Do you want an en-suite?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by XanaXoid
Hi, at Durham there isn't a best/worst college and each one has it's perks but also some downfalls.
If you could answer some question I could help you:
Do you want a catered or self-catered college
Do you want a single room or sharing a room is ok for you?
Do you want an en-suite?

hi! i'm looking to do self catered and I think i'd rather have my own room. Not bothered about an en-suite tbh.
thanks!
A lot of English students go for Cuth's.
Reply 4
Original post by ashtolga23
A lot of English students go for Cuth's.

okay, thanks!
hi! i'm looking to do self catered and I think i'd rather have my own room. Not bothered about an en-suite tbh.
thanks!

The 4 main self-catered colleges are: John Snow, South, Stephenson and Josephine Butler. They are 20/25 minutes away from your department (according to google maps), the rooms are all single
Cuth and Castle also have some self-catered accommodation but I don't know if it's common to get them and also I don't know which kind of rooms are available
thanks!

If you're set on self-catered and having your own room, I'd either go for Cuth's or one of the newer Hill colleges (South, Butler, John Snow, Stephenson) - they all have self-catering options, and on the Hill I'm pretty sure all rooms are single rooms. In Cuth's you might get a roommate, as I recall. Cuth's is closer, but Durham is so small it isn't a big deal.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
If you're set on self-catered and having your own room, I'd either go for Cuth's or one of the newer Hill colleges (South, Butler, John Snow, Stephenson) - they all have self-catering options, and on the Hill I'm pretty sure all rooms are single rooms. In Cuth's you might get a roommate, as I recall. Cuth's is closer, but Durham is so small it isn't a big deal.

thank you so much.
Reply 8
Original post by XanaXoid
The 4 main self-catered colleges are: John Snow, South, Stephenson and Josephine Butler. They are 20/25 minutes away from your department (according to google maps), the rooms are all single
Cuth and Castle also have some self-catered accommodation but I don't know if it's common to get them and also I don't know which kind of rooms are available

thank you!
College me
Original post by GripMaxxing
College me

Hi.

Quick Reply

Latest