The Student Room Group

Article: Loughborough University is better than 80% of Russell Group universities

Scroll to see replies

Only if you accept their method of measuring.
Original post by 999tigger
Only if you accept their method of measuring.

That goes for all league tables and rankings - they can be a good guide initially to help you get a feel. I think open days and course content is the most important indicator and research method personally. The uni could rank high but if you don't get a good feel when you're there you're just not going to be happy and that could affect how well you do.

Did you use any league tables when you were applying? What did you find most useful?
Reply 3
anyone who believes that is lying to themselves...
Original post by tammio
anyone who believes that is lying to themselves...

A combination of three league tables.... that's pretty solid grounds don't you think?
Reply 5
Original post by She-Ra
A combination of three league tables.... that's pretty solid grounds don't you think?

I just looked at the tables, Loughborough is very high in the satisfaction categories, however, objective categories such as it's entry requirement tariff are about 16th on that list.
No league tables can gloss over the fact that Loughborough as a place is an utter dump.
(edited 7 years ago)
UCL don't make it to the rankings. Imperial down to 4. I smell unfavourable weighting to student satisfaction over everything else. And when that's the case you're just favouring universities with lower workloads.
Pretty sure LSE is a world renowned uni, much mor than Loughborough, and UCL is also a lot better.
Reply 9
Nope.

But it certainly has a good reputation in some areas.

Shame it's in Loughborough.
Warwick and LSE are better than Loughborough.
The idea that Loughborough is ranked above LSE is an utter joke. Anyone who believes that is just wrong. Having high student satisfaction doesn't make it a better uni - LSE has a more intense workload, of course student satisfaction is going to be lower.
[video="youtube;ZANlYjuQJ-4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZANlYjuQJ-4[/video]
League tables are becoming well meta these days.....
I don't get this? How??
Lol LSE and UCL are better than Warwick- it's kind of an insult to say they are worse.
1. Cambridge/Oxford
3. Imperial/LSE
5. UCL
6. St Andrews
7. Warwick
8. Durham
9. Edinburgh
10. Bristol

In order of prestige (and you know it's true).
Original post by She-Ra

Not when Mickey Mouse sports degrees are inflating student satisfaction.
My first choice before I even realized how good it is, really nice campus and very good for extra curricular activities too.
But according to THE's World Rankings, Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, LSE, Edinburgh, KCL, Manchester, Bristol, Warwick, Glasgow, Durham, Sheffield, St Andrews, QMUL, Southampton, Exeter, York, Birmingham, Leeds, Lancaster, Nottingham, Sussex, Liverpool, UEA, Leicester, RHUL, Dundee, Cardiff, Aberdeen, Newcastle, Reading, Birkbeck, Queen's Belfast, St George's, Bath, Surrey and Aberystwyth are all ranked higher than Loughborough.

Strange that Loughborough does so well on the domestic rankings and so poorly on the international ones. This is why I don't trust rankings, they're all meaningless.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending