The Student Room Group

Harvard Referencing

I have to do a presentation and each slide consists of many quotes from the same thing, do I have to put the in text citation after every quote? E.g. "He continues on to demean her by saying “you even throw like a girl”(Keller & Klein, 2012) and “I can’t fight a girl”(Keller & Klein, 2012) to make her beating him even more shocking."
Original post by KMLeeson
I have to do a presentation and each slide consists of many quotes from the same thing, do I have to put the in text citation after every quote? E.g. "He continues on to demean her by saying “you even throw like a girl”(Keller & Klein, 2012) and “I can’t fight a girl”(Keller & Klein, 2012) to make her beating him even more shocking."

That would be good practice to do so, make sure you verbally mention the reference at least.
Original post by claireestelle
That would be good practice to do so, make sure you verbally mention the reference at least.

It would mean that I'd be referencing like 10 times a slide, is that okay? **

Is the entire slide quotes from the same author?
If it is, i think you could do some clever formatting to get round it.
Personally, what i used to do, is purely have key points on the slide to keep it simple (and prompts in case i forgot anything, since i m dyslexic my uni presentations were almost all from memory:P), the main info would be in what i was actually saying, that way your audience is focused on you more than what is on the slide, if that makes sense?
Original post by claireestelle
Is the entire slide quotes from the same author?
If it is, i think you could do some clever formatting to get round it.
Personally, what i used to do, is purely have key points on the slide to keep it simple (and prompts in case i forgot anything, since i m dyslexic my uni presentations were almost all from memory:P), the main info would be in what i was actually saying, that way your audience is focused on you more than what is on the slide, if that makes sense?

Yeah the entire slide is from the same author and is pretty much just quotes that I'm going to expand on, if that makes sense? *
Yeah the entire slide is from the same author and is pretty much just quotes that I'm going to expand on, if that makes sense? *

In that case, I'd write it like "quote 1.... quote 2.... quote 3" (Author,date) then just make your point verbally for example "from this quote (this is where some pointing implement comes in handy, maybe a snazzy laser pens) you can see that author is continuing to demean her, her then goes on to..". Then make sure your full reference is on a referencing list at the end of the presentation :smile:

You really should include page numbers, for example: "blah, blah, blah" (Snufkin, 2016, pp.73). If your next quote is from the same page as the last quote then you should use (Ibid pp. [insert page number here]).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Snufkin
You really should include page numbers, for example: "blah, blah, blah" (Snufkin, 2016, pp.73). If your next quote is from the same page as the last quote then you should use (Ibid pp. [insert page number here]).

If I have the title, author and date at the top of the slide, would I still need to do this? It's also difficult because 1 of my slides is on a scrip that has no page numbers! 😞

Posted from TSR Mobile
If I have the title, author and date at the top of the slide, would I still need to do this? It's also difficult because 1 of my slides is on a scrip that has no page numbers! 😞

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure what you're asking? If the document you're quoting doesn't have page numbers then you don't need to include them, but you should still use Ibid rather than using the same in-text reference over and over again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending