The Student Room Group

Access course grades

Hi, I’m currently doing an access course, I have been offered a place to study midwifery with a conditional offer which I accepted. I currently have 9 distinctions and 24 merits with only 2 assignments left so I need both to be distinctions to get the conditional 15. I was wondering if anyone has been accepted on to a course that just missed out on getting the grades they needed. I’m starting to feel very stressed out about it and would like any information on peoples experiences or know if they do accept lower grades. Thank you in advance.
Original post by Lgs21
Hi, I’m currently doing an access course, I have been offered a place to study midwifery with a conditional offer which I accepted. I currently have 9 distinctions and 24 merits with only 2 assignments left so I need both to be distinctions to get the conditional 15. I was wondering if anyone has been accepted on to a course that just missed out on getting the grades they needed. I’m starting to feel very stressed out about it and would like any information on peoples experiences or know if they do accept lower grades. Thank you in advance.

@Lgs21
Hello, I teach on an Access to HE Program so I might be able to help (a bit).

The answer is it comes down to individual student circumstances. If a learner has just missed their tariff target we have written to Universities before to explain why if they have experienced a bereavement or had a long term illness etc. With it being midwifery this is a very competitive area, had it been general nursing there might have been a little more wriggle room.

In terms of getting a distinction, key things to focus on are;
demonstrating a breadth and depth of further reading - print based sources are the most credible
Good SPAG, with a high standard of Harvard referencing (which ties into breadth and depth)
A fluency of argument

A distinction is typically a sign that a student has gone above and beyond and done lots of further reading so really demonstrate your knowledge clearly signposted to the criteria

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending